I made a riff lately, but I'm not sure if it already exists :s

a|------2------2----1-2---------------|
E|-0-1---0-1----0------0-0-7-7-7--|

All of the notes are eights and the notes at the seventh fret are Natural Harmonics.

Have you heard it before or do you know about something similar? :s
Last edited by Metal-pro at Feb 13, 2012,
Regardless of what you "composed", the answer is yes,

edit:

And always will be
Quote by Pettah
Does remind me quite much about Master of Puppets
Aah, forgot to mention :P
Master Of Puppets is one of my inspirations to this riff
Sounds a bit like something Anthrax would write as well as being similar to MoP :P
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Dunno, at first it reminded me of Epitaph by Necrophagist, but you don't hit the C, and the riff would need to be a whole step lower.

The riff is kind of meh, but if you can make something interesting out of it I think you're in the clear.
Quote by Orryn

edit:

And always will be

if that's true all of us might as well stop making music
Quote by ArtemR

Actually it is true, but we should still make music, because having 100% original thoughts isn't the point of anything. Just gotta try to do it the best, and have fun doing it.
Quote by ArtemR

Music can have more than only one riff going on at the same time. This is something that really keeps 99.99 of the rock/metal from doing something new, there is only so much you can do monophonically.
Reminds me of master of the puppets a bit but its almost impossible to write a riff these days that doesn't sound at least a bit like another song.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Actually it is true, but we should still make music, because having 100% original thoughts isn't the point of anything. Just gotta try to do it the best, and have fun doing it.
i'm not saying that that everything you do should be completely uninspired by anything, but you should strive to make original music, otherwise we'll just be stuck in this rut of unoriginality forever.

Quote by Keth
Music can have more than only one riff going on at the same time. This is something that really keeps 99.99 of the rock/metal from doing something new, there is only so much you can do monophonically.

funny that you say that man aha, just listened to your fugue, it was nice!
Start playing it in gigs and you'll know if it exists, because you'll get sued if it does. :P
Quote by ColdP1zza
Reminds me of master of the puppets a bit but its almost impossible to write a riff these days that doesn't sound at least a bit like another song.

i disagree with the part about writing original material. i think it's totally possible, it just requires more effort since so many songs have already been written using very similar structures, themes etc. a 1-4-5 can still be interesting, it's just up to you the musician to do something with it.
It does now cause you played it.

Whether it did before or not doesn't matter it's what you do with it that counts. Bad artists steal; Great artists borrow.

Just ask Jimmy Page.
Si
^ it could very easily be turned into a borrowed idea. Id flip the e's and f's and do pull-off/mute's
I was listening to Johnny Cash a while back. American Recordings IV I think. He covers Personal Jesus. I fell in love with the guitar riff instantly I thought "damn that's pretty cool Mr Cash." When I looked at the credits I found out that it was John Frusciante playing the guitar.

Some time later I was just jamming around and git on a riff I thought sounded pretty cool. I kept playing at it and developed it a little adding some parts. I later realized that it was basically me "remembering" that same Frusciante riff from Cash's cover but I didn't realize it at first. It wasn't quite exactly the same but very very similar though I had started taking it in a different direction. I haven't thrown the idea out though and still come back and work on it regularly branching out in different directions to see what comes of it.
Si
I don't think it really matters does it? I blantantly copy/paste riffs and solos from other songs on a regular basis eg. my most recent being playing the Michael Jackson Billie Jean solo in a cover of Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger. The audience (and bandmates) are none the wiser. Even more so if you're ripping off a little known song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't think it really matters does it? I blantantly copy/paste riffs and solos from other songs on a regular basis eg. my most recent being playing the Michael Jackson Billie Jean solo in a cover of Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger. The audience (and bandmates) are none the wiser. Even more so if you're ripping off a little known song.

Its one thing to do that, its another to get on the mic afterwards and say "hey that was our new original track that only just sounds alot like that other song"
It's too familiar. It would be okay-ish if you were "inspired" by some riff from a lesser known band, but this is such an iconic riff that everyone's gonna think you're playing MoP, regardless of how good the rest of the song is.
^Thanks for a lot of good replies
Good to see that there is different opinions here.
Eh it's a non issue. As Sherlock Holmes would say "There's nothing new under the Sun".
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Metal-pro
I made a riff lately, but I'm not sure if it already exists :s

a|------2------2----1-2---------------|
E|-0-1---0-1----0------0-0-7-7-7--|

All of the notes are eights and the notes at the seventh fret are Natural Harmonics.

I can't see GP files, but assuming the last harmonic is also a quaver, does it come up as a 7/4 time signature? Just curious, I quite like the riff.
Quote by Orryn

edit:

And always will be

You sir need to just stay in the pit. Another post that you make your intelligence seem less then "diminished"

If this was the case, musicians would be getting sued left and right. That's copyright at work.

There are more then trillions of combos you can write music in. It's probably an infinte amount of possibilties. You can add notes, take away notes, and change the rhythmic values, even change the time signature or transpose keys! Hell changing the tempo could change the music in a major way!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by mdc
I can't see GP files, but assuming the last harmonic is also a quaver, does it come up as a 7/4 time signature? Just curious, I quite like the riff.

He has them as a bar of 4/4 and a bar of 3/4. So pretty much.
Si
Quote by z4twenny
Its one thing to do that, its another to get on the mic afterwards and say "hey that was our new original track that only just sounds alot like that other song"

Well, don't say that then
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by 20Tigers
He has them as a bar of 4/4 and a bar of 3/4. So pretty much.
Yup, thanks for answearing him for me, but I guess it would be a 7/4 signature if I use the riff in a song.