Hello! I am currently designing a menu for a restaurant. I go to culinary school, so this is for a restaurant we are opening soon.

The theme will be "French eve". Broad term, yes.
What I need now, is a picture to go with the theme, and I was hoping someone in the Pit could help me out!

The picture will be used on the front page of the menu. The maincolours of the menu are light blue, and yellow/orange-ish.

TL;DR: I need a picture of something French to put on the frontpage of our menu.

Last edited by Oyface at Feb 13, 2012,
I would have said to take a picture of an area inside the restaurant, but it's not open/finished yet right?

Maybe take a picture of a loaf of bread (those long rolls anyways) or soup or something. Not a whole platter of food. It looks busy. Maybe even go with a picture of wine? Against blue and yellow, the red will stand out a lot. If it's too much, go with white wine. Try and pick a food or drink that looks classy or fancy. =]
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I would have said to take a picture of an area inside the restaurant, but it's not open/finished yet right?

Maybe take a picture of a loaf of bread (those long rolls anyways) or soup or something. Not a whole platter of food. It looks busy. Maybe even go with a picture of wine? Against blue and yellow, the red will stand out a lot. If it's too much, go with white wine. Try and pick a food or drink that looks classy or fancy. =]

Not finished yet, no. Sadly we won't have time for that, since these will have to be finished before that.

I will try that! Thank you for taking time to reply.

Feel free to come with more suggestions!
I would say be really careful using a photo- if it's not taken well/edited well, your menu and your resteraunt will look low value and tacky. I think menus tend to look more professional if it features an illustration instead of a photo. Then what pagan poetry said
But hey, this is just personal opinion :P
I expected that, guys.

Quote by Powersurge213
I would say be really careful using a photo- if it's not taken well/edited well, your menu and your resteraunt will look low value and tacky. I think menus tend to look more professional if it features an illustration instead of a photo. Then what pagan poetry said
But hey, this is just personal opinion :P

I agree. Thanks for the input.

How about this, or something similar?

EDIT: Picture not showing .. Weird.

Here's the link.
http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Jean-Marc_Janiaczyk_Painting_1600x1200/images/Jean-Marc_Janiaczyk_Art_Painting_01.JPG
My advise.. If possible ditch your blue/orange colour scheme. Complementary colours on a menu will likely look tacky and not appetizing. Stick to just one colour just for titles/decorations and keep the rest neutral.

You're probably better off not having a image at all. Without going and designing a logo, the best thing you can do is keep it clean and use a tasteful typeface with plenty of clear space around it. (ie. not comic sans, impact or illegible italics)

Less is more with menus. Keep text minimal and small, and avoid using bold colours.
Last edited by ButtHurt© at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by ButtHurt©
My advise.. If possible ditch your blue/orange colour scheme. Complementary colours on a menu will likely look tacky and not appetizing. Stick to just one colour just for titles/decorations and keep the rest neutral.

You're probably better off not having a image at all. Without going and designing a logo, the best thing you can do is keep it clean and use a tasteful typeface with plenty of clear space around it. (ie. not comic sans, impact or illegible italics)

Less is more with menus. Keep text minimal and small, and avoid using bold colours.

Well that's something to consider. I honestly haven't thought about that.

Well, here's one page of the menu. They're all look the same, exceptfor the front page.
Keep in mind, I have never done this before.
And sorry it's all in Norwegian.

(Invalid img)

EDIT: Well, picture still not showing. Here's the link.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20z5t86&s=5

EDIT 2: I just notcied that the upload lowered the image quality by a bunch. THe colours are much smoother than that.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

>light blue
>yellow/orange (kind of)
>escargot

Actually, yeah, put this guy. Make his shell orange and make it your mascot named "Larry". Nickelodeon won't be able to sue you.
Posting pictures on the internet is hard.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.