I just got my Polytune mini in the mail today that I was pretty excited about to see how well it worked.
So I grab one of my Ibanezes with humbuckers, and it worked great with both strumming mode and single notes (although not as responsive as my Boss TU3).
Then I pick up my rubbish guitar with crappy single coils... it couldn't tune that at all, when I strummed it didn't react at all...not until I strummed *really* hard did it respond, but that is hardly practical.
Single tones were useless, since it wouldn't react to them at all.

Then I tried my Fender American Strat and it really struggled with the neck pickup (stock) on that.
The bridge pickup, which is a DiMarzio Injector worked fairly well, but not great..
Strumming mode worked alright, but single tones struggled a little bit, since I had to strike the strings fairly hard.

I power it with my Voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus, and it's the first thing in my chain.

Is it supposed to be like this? Did I get a dud? I am greatly disappointed by it, it actually makes tuning the guitar more of a hassle unless I'm playing my humbucker equipped guitars.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has tried this, or possibly if you've tried the full size Polytune with both humbuckers and single coils.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I have the full size Polytune. Personally, I don't like using the strum mode at all, but it seems to have worked on every guitar I've tried.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I have the full size Polytune. Personally, I don't like using the strum mode at all, but it seems to have worked on every guitar I've tried.

Have you tried it with a single coil equipped guitar?
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Sorry to bump this guys, I'm just really trying to work out if it's meant to be this terrible for single coil guitars or not.
Would love to hear if more people have tried these out and had similar results that I had with at least single coils.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Oldmonkeys
is the volume knob up all the way?

Dumb question I know, but it just sounds like the polytune isnt getting any signal

No questions are dumb!
Yeah volume all the way up. The funny thing is..if I whack the strings hard first, and then go to one string it picks it up..but that's hardly an efficient way to tune it...so it's like I have to shock it first in order to tune properly.
Strat was pointless to try to tune with the neck pickup, it was just the hotter bridge pickup that had a chance to get picked up without too much effort.

But as I said though, with humbuckers it's fine...it's just single coils that are giving me problems...I am hoping I just got a faulty unit, because I'd be mad this is the way it's made to "work".
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Well my big polytune works fine with everything i've ever thrown at it, including acoustic

I'll try my acoustic with the mini tonight...if that fails... I'll probably have to jot it down to mine being a faulty unit...really annoying. It just seems odd that it still works for higher output pickups though.
Thanks for your help though.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Well I tried plugging in my acoustic to tune that when I went home for lunch today, and pretty much same result there as with the lower output single coils. No response unless I struck the strings hard.

I emailed thomann.de about it now, and hopefully they will accomodate me and send me one that works properly.
Very annoying!
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I have the regular sized one and it works honky dory on 'buckers, singles, P90, acoustic. Even on a piezo pickup for a violin.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I have the regular sized one and it works honky dory on 'buckers, singles, P90, acoustic. Even on a piezo pickup for a violin.

Thanks, this definitely made me 110% sure that mine was a dud.
I really need/want the small footprint for my pedalboard as well, since it's well...ridiculously crowded, so I was bummed out when it didn't work as well as I wanted.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Y00p
Have you eliminated any other possibilities?

I like to think I have eliminated everything else within reason, but I am happy to hear suggestions.

What I've tried is:
Hot humbuckers which work alright
Single coils - only *almost* works with my hotter DiMarzio Injector
All other single coils do not work unless I strike very hard
Acoustic guitar with piezos does not work

I tried using a different instrument cable, no change.

The only thing I didn't try is powering it with anything else than my Voodoo Lab Pedalpower 2 Plus, but I don't have any other way of powering it (it does not take batteries).
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Yeah, I'm sure you got a dud. Premier Guitar did a review of this thing and I'm sure they would have noticed/commented on it. And TC doesn't seem like the kinda company to put out a product that doesn't perform.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Well I decided it was too much of a hassle to sort out sending it back to thomann, because I had to find a new box to send it back in (the one I got from them was huge, since it contained lots of different gear), and then I had to sort out some banking things in order for them to be able to reimburse me for the shipping cost.

Anyway..I opened up the pedal and took a look inside and I could see a small capacitor only having one leg attached, so I took the trusty soldering iron and soldered it back in place.
After that it worked perfectly, so I am well happy now
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Hurrah
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.