Hi in my band (we play thrash/ death metal) the lead guitarist uses a mesa 3 channel dual rectifier, which we used all the guitars on our EP. I currently use a ibanez tone blaster and am looking to upgrade finally. I've been looking online at mesa dual rec's and have found there are 2ch and 3 ch versions so I was wondering what might be the best choice as apparently they sound a bit different. Also another amp I was considering was the Peavey 5150/6505 and 5150 ii/6505+ heads which I have heard sound good with a mesa rectifier.

I probably sound very indecisive but want to hear your opinions to make sure I make the best decision. In the band I play mainly very high gain with occasional clean sections and my EQ is set to be more bassy/ low end than the lead players.

Thanks
If you want more bass/low end than the lead player, why not try an ENGL Fireball? It sounds amazing, from what I've heard on youtube. (I know, I know... But it's at least something)

The Peavey 5150/6505 should do the job as well, and they're going to be a LOT cheaper than the Mesa Boogie.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Usually I would recommend the 5150, but if you need a clean channel and your EQ is usually bassier, a Dual Rectifier will probably suit you better. Not sure how big the difference between the 2-channel and 3-channel really is, but whatever you can find used for a better price will ultimately be your best bet.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
I have a two chanel rec, and hits the thrashy death metal nail right on the head. Seemingly endless gain on tap, and the cleans will be better than a 5150/6505.

For what you need (bassy high gain with the occasional clean), I think a 2ch rec will be perfect.
2 Ch Dual Rectifier.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
The Dual Rec from what I heard has comparable to better distortion and better cleans. Plus I think I've heard the FX loop is better but don't quote me on that. It'll be more pricey though.
Quote by Tallica9000
The Dual Rec from what I heard has comparable to better distortion and better cleans. Plus I think I've heard the FX loop is better but don't quote me on that. It'll be more pricey though.

Not true. The Dual Rectifier has a parallel FX loop, while the 5150 series has a series loop (series is usually preferred).
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Well the 2010 and later 3ch dual rectifiers aren't flubby like the older models.

Have you thought about one of the new 5153 mini heads?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks everyone for the replies, I've actually found few 2 channel Dual Rectifiers on ebay for similar price as the 6505 so that may be the way forwards.

As the linked thread questions:

Budget? - i'm trying for £800 as i've seen some peavey 6505's, 5150's and dual rectifiers listed for around this price

Genres? - Thrash metal, death metal, cleans

New or Used? - used

Home or Gig? - the amp will be purely a gigging and recording amp

Closest City? - London

Current Gear? - ltd H-401fm, isp decimator G string pedal, Ibanez Toneblaster 100H, Peavey Windsor Cab
When you say thrash and death, can you give some examples of bands whose tone you're like to get close to? Obviously 80's thrash/death sounds way different than modern thrash/death.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's hard to say since the band isn't strictly any subgenre but I'd say more a mix between lamb of god and 90's/ modern melodic death metal such as in flames or at the gates.
LoG is really tricky. No amp can nail their tone besides the Mark IV.

Overall, I'd say go with a 5150 II/6505+.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
LoG is really tricky. No amp can nail their tone besides the Mark IV.

Overall, I'd say go with a 5150 II/6505+.

And the mark V

In flames uses 6505s right?

Still, lot of bass? 2ch rec.

If you need something tigher eith not as good cleans, 6505+
Quote by Seanthesheep
And the mark V

Arguably. A lot of people say the V has better low-mid gain, but the high gain isn't as good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X