anyone have any methods on how to do beginner tapping on the bass. I have a Squier Modified 4 str and an Ibanez SR Gio 5 str. Im trying to learn som core music so any help would be appreciated.
Start slow and build up your speed through practice. Start with simple lines and then move on to more complex parts when your more comortable. Have fun with it!
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
Do 3 note scale patterns in different rhythms with a metronome. Keeping time and not just doing it as fast as you want is key. Being able to exactly control what you want is what you want.

The T is a right hand tap (index or middle finger is fine)
As 8th/16th notes (2 and 4 per click):
.......T
G|-5h7p9p7-|
...T
G|-9p5h7p5-|

Then this as triplets (3 per click):
.......T.....T
G|-5h7h9p5h7h9-|
...T.....T
G|-9p5h7h9p5h7-|

Just do as many combinations as you can think of...
When you feel comfortable with it, go ahead and learn "Addicted To The Rush" by Mr. Big. =P

Oh Yeah and when you get good at tapping, ask me about my bass sweeping video on youtube ;D People tell me it's good
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Feb 14, 2012,
Just start by pressing your finger down on a fret until you get a good, ringing sound. (I personally think distortion covers up sloppy technique, so it would be best not to use it until you develop better technique with tapping.) that's really one of the most important things, people have to be able to hear it. I usually anchor my right hand thumb on the top of the neck, but sometimes I use it in a tapping pattern as well. Make sure that you don't let your pinky grip the bottom of the neck, it will make your hand feel more secure but really it will slow you down and cause possible cramps and whatnot. Usually when I tap it's some form of chord arpeggio with a few passing tones thrown in for some nice dissonance. Triads and seventh chords are fun to tap out and they sound good, so if you don't already learn a bit of theory to help you speed up the process of ideas to come up with.
Quote by King Of Suede
Oh Yeah and when you get good at tapping, ask me about my bass sweeping video on youtube ;D People tell me it's good
I would like to check that out as I love to watch and learn
Last edited by amimbari at Feb 16, 2012,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1f7Dx7Bmk
I guess I'll just post this here. It's 10 minutes long, but I feel that almost all the information if necessary.
Done as a graduation project for High School.
If you don't want to hear me ramble, theres an index of topics with time-stamps in the description.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
that's a great video King, I don't know why you were hesitant about posting it.
Thanks, I'm hesitant about posting it because I ramble a lot. I feel like I could make a better product by breaking it up into multiple videos. Just haven't gotten around to it because I work full time when I'm home and don't even play electric while I'm at school.
Quote by Banjocal
The first exercise King of Suede posted is perfect if your just learning tapping. A good idea is just to practice tapping a phrase using 1 string, then once your comfortable, try to play something that has you tapping 2 strings and so on.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia