Let me first start off by saying metal usually isn't my area of expertise. I'm really surprised by the great quality of the production. How did you record the guitars? The melody flows nicely and is well played. The harmonies are solid. The song also does a good job of keep my attention. Great job! I don't have anything new for you to crit so consider this one free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Quote by KevinFreund
Let me first start off by saying metal usually isn't my area of expertise. I'm really surprised by the great quality of the production. How did you record the guitars? The melody flows nicely and is well played. The harmonies are solid. The song also does a good job of keep my attention. Great job! I don't have anything new for you to crit so consider this one free.

Thanks for the feedback The guitar tracks are recorded with my Line 6 Pod XT, two tracks for rhythm 100% left and right and one track for lead in the center.
I think it should be tightened up a bit. The riff is really cool, but like in the begining from 0-7 seconds should be played twice, then into 8-15 seconds. After that I think the melodies flow nicely; nice speed! Then I think from 59seconds to 1:06 should be played twice then into 1:06 into 1:13 then cut out 1:13 to 1:19. One tip I always take into consideration is say only what needs to be said, keep it as short as possible. Crit mine? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Dhclark92/
Last edited by Dhclark92 at Feb 13, 2012,
I've kinda been staying away from metal recently, but I still melodic stuff, so here goes.

It starts off with a heavy riff, guitars do sound really good. Some low growls over this would make it sound pretty badass. Melodic lead sounded good after that. The part at 1:00 kinda bored me, Id try to make it a bit heavier by having the drums go into halftime playing the crash, and double the guitars, playing the octaves one octave lower. 1:33 had a seriously awesome tone on the guitars. Solo was well crafted. If you dont mind a little cheesy, then you could add a harmony to the lead around 2:01. 2:30's tempo change was great. What tuning are you in for those djenty guitar sounds? The outro was immense! I see you dont have a real outro for it. Try keeping the lead playing, while the rhythm drops out, and have a piano part underneath it? That could be sweet.

Anyways, this might not be your genre at all, but Id appreciate it if you checked out my song https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519161
@Dhclark92 thanks, I will try out your suggestions and see how it sounds! I left a comment on your profile re. your song.

@Mean Mr Mustard thanks, your feedback is really helpful...I agree that the section at 1:00 could use something else. It will have vocals over it but I'll try and add the lower octaves part.

The guitars are in drop C. Your outro idea is excellent, I'll definitely try it.

Cheers guys!
The beginning guitar sounds really good. I like the tone. The melodies all sound nice and the part around 2:30 creates some good melodic tension. The solos/leads sounded good also.

I don't really like the snare drum sound though. Its missing some beef I think, which is weird because the other drums sound really good, especially the bass drum. I don't know what you used for the drums, but I know I have problems getting the bass drum to sound audible sometimes with superior drummer 2(I didn't use that on the song you critted, I was lazy)
I agree with the poster posters with how the part starting around 1:00 sounds like it's missing something. Maybe try adding a harmony or some counterpoint at 1:14

at 1:44-1:58 see how it sounds with the drums going into half time, closest thing I can compare to what I'm thinking is the last section of Limb From Limb by Protest the Hero. It might be a bit cliche but I think it always sounds great.

at 2:35 maybe try adding a little bit more rhythmic kick, like instead of some of the 8th notes replace it with two 16th notes (sparingly though)

I really like the solo at the end but at parts of it, I feel like it gets lost in the mix. maybe try bringing it up just a tad more.

overall, killer track
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22