Recently I purchased an amp that seems like it is built mostly for hardrock/punk/blues, whereas I play metal.

So I guess what I'm asking is how much of a difference do distortion pedals make and if so what would you recommend. Also, would a compression pedal in addition to this help me achieve a more metal tone or not?

I have absolutely no experience with pedals at all so I'd really like some help, thanks.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
what's the amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NortonDevon
Recently I purchased an amp that seems like it is built mostly for hardrock/punk/blues, whereas I play metal.

So I guess what I'm asking is how much of a difference do distortion pedals make and if so what would you recommend. Also, would a compression pedal in addition to this help me achieve a more metal tone or not?

I have absolutely no experience with pedals at all so I'd really like some help, thanks.

People are going to tell you to buy an amp more suited to your sound. I am a man who loves his pedals at home AND for live playing. As long as you have a decent clean channel to run things over, you're golden.

Look into the Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal. Try to stay away from Digitech stuff. I personally love the Landmine Distortion. Don't get suckered into a BOSS Ds-1 as they're not very "metal". There are 100's of options.

The other option is to get an overdrive like a Tubescreamer or Zakk Wylde to add to your amps distortion, but that all depends on the kind of metal you're playing.
^ the zakk wylde is more along the lines of a boost more than anything.

if the amp stays pretty clean i would very highly recommend the MXR fullbore metal. i run mine through just a clean channel at bedroom level and it kicks ass. my only problem with it is that when the amp hits a point of natural breakup (i have a low wattage tube amp), the tone just turns to mud. it needs a pretty squeaky clean amp at high volume.

other than that, the MXR is a great pedal (as are all MXR pedals)
I'm going to second the Line 6 Uber Metal. Been rocking that puppy for a solid 3+ years now. The only thing I will mention is to MAKE SURE you get the adapter with it, as it chews through D batteries (which aren't exactly cheap) faster than a fat kid through cake.

Personally, I love the built in noise gates. It lets you get very dirty or very clean and crisp.
distortion pedals can be tricky with your amp's breakup, like stated already sometimes if the amp doesn't have a lot of headroom it can turn to mud. i'm a fan of the ProCo Rat myself, it's a really nice tone and is pretty diverse too, good price as well.

and I'm gonna second the "don't buy a ds-1" statement.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's the amp?

Sorry I'm replying to this a few hours after you asked, but it is the Kustom 200 HD.

It has a veeeery nice clean channel but I'm not as happy with the distortion now as I was when I was trying it out at the person's house whom I purchased it from.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by CorpseMangler
The other option is to get an overdrive like a Tubescreamer or Zakk Wylde to add to your amps distortion, but that all depends on the kind of metal you're playing.

I play mostly metalcore, along the lines of August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, A Day To Remember, and Miss May I.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
Sorry I'm replying to this a few hours after you asked, but it is the Kustom 200 HD.

It has a veeeery nice clean channel but I'm not as happy with the distortion now as I was when I was trying it out at the person's house whom I purchased it from.

no worries

ah ok

yeah a distortion is probably going to work better with a solid state amp like that

just don't spend too much because if you're not happy with the amp the real fix is getting another one. so you don't want to blow your budget on a pedal which is a quick fix.

joyo stuff is pretty good for cheap, as is tonerider.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?