Every thing I write tends to sound very similar to something I wrote previously or some popular song. Just the other day I had something only to find out it was exactly the same as This Cold by John Frusciante, just in a different key.
So, how do I get the musical juices flowing in my head and come up with something original? I've tried some things people have told me before like taking a break, playing different instruments, discovering new music and learning bits of theory. None seem to work(the theory did help a bit though).
I do have a couple of original sounding songs, but all the rest either sound terrible or are near copies.
"For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time."

"Muskrats live in my wah wah pedal."

-John Frusciante-
Ever stop to think about what sounds the same? Are you writing a single guitar part and that's the end of it? Or is it an entire song with multiple tracks? Composing is much more than a track or two. If you find something sounds farmiliar, try writing a backing track or a rhythm track which will add a whole new dynamic to the song. Add in some different techniques you don't normally use/would go against what you find to be repetitive in your writing. Maybe use a different tunning or time signature. Go outside of notes to spruce up your writing.

I'm no genious song writer or even player for that matter, but when I practice, I usually finish up with a good 20+ minutes of tinkering about with something or just completely pulling something out of my ass. I play with chords and try to come up with things that sound different, but still work in a cohesive manner. I'll usually come up with something moderately catchy/record on my phone worthy.
that happens to me all the time, its probably something that happens to everyone, i'd suggest just to stay openmided about the music you listen to and play. Restricting yourself to... lets say 'rock' music, can make things difficult when trying to compose.

i've definately found this help me a lot since i began writing my own stuff
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
When I started writing riffs, I began with riffs that I liked, then changed them.
Then I started writing my own little motifs, and developing those.

Getting a teacher shouldn't be underestimated, either.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
When I started writing riffs, I began with riffs that I liked, then changed them.
Then I started writing my own little motifs, and developing those.

Getting a teacher shouldn't be underestimated, either.

Thanks, I'm gonna try that. As for a teacher, I had one when I first started, but I don't have time or money for one now.
"For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time."

"Muskrats live in my wah wah pedal."

-John Frusciante-