Page 1 of 2
I was wondering how you guys thought the tube screamer stomp box compares to a ts9 pedal? I would think the pedal would sound better specially with the JJs coming tomorrow. any input would be cool. Its going to be a valentines day gift from my wife. couldnt think of anything else id want. thanks. it just seems like if the effects on this were that great.. why doesnt everybody use a modeling amp?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It's not going to do the same thing as it will in front of a real tube amp. We use tubescreamers like the TS9 to push the preamp tubes harder, you don't have preamp tubes. The actual distortion you can dial in with a tubescreamer (which is what the TS simulator is doing) is extremely easy to create in an analog circuit which is what the Vyper uses for the majority of its front end. I don't think you'll get a lot of advantage.
Now 'twer you thinking of buying an actual distortion pedal like a Barber Dirty Bomb that would be another story entirely.

I can tell you why I don't use a modelling amp. I like the extra dynamics that only tube amps provide at this point in time. Plus I am the sort of person that spends a lot of time selecting just the right preamp tubes and even mods their tube amps to do exactly what I want. I don't want to be locked into what some manufacturer thinks is best.
Full tube amps are almost agricultural in their simplicity. That has a lot of appeal to me. I may have recommended the Vyper to you for your particular needs but I would never trade my Abbey for one. Wouldn't even consider it. My Abbey behaves like a living organism almost. The same cannot be said for a Vyper.
It's all about what you want from an amp. I probably want more from an amp and am more fussy with my wants.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by romeozdistress
I was wondering how you guys thought the tube screamer stomp box compares to a ts9 pedal? I would think the pedal would sound better specially with the JJs coming tomorrow. any input would be cool. Its going to be a valentines day gift from my wife. couldnt think of anything else id want. thanks. it just seems like if the effects on this were that great.. why doesnt everybody use a modeling amp?

They do.

It's called the Axe-FX II

It's $2600.00

(Yeah, not technically a modeling AMP, but the point remains...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I don't know what you're talking about, the models are awesome.

Get a Sanpera.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Vypyr takes pedals really well. I wouldn't be surprised if the TS9 sounded good in front.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
thats like $200 lol, I guess ill just save for that then.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yeah, get the Sanpera. It's going to be useful for changing patches and models quickly.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Vypyr takes pedals really well. I wouldn't be surprised if the TS9 sounded good in front.

i tested the more expensive one out, it sounded awesome. but im getting some new tubes delivered tomorrow, So Im gonna try it out again before and see how much of a difference I can hear between the two. if nothing big ill just start saving for the sanpera 2, i was told its not worth getting the 1.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
ok man, just because of this post i ran over to mine and plugged up my ts9 in front of it and setup the tube screamer stomp effect. I went into edit mode and I set the 1st parameter all the way down and the 2nd parameter all the way up which is pretty much how i have my ts9 setup. They sounded pretty much the same. I think the TS9 added a little more mid to it but thats because i have the tone dimed on it. Anyways, if i were you i wouldnt get a ts for that amp. I would stick to the sanpera and use the stomp effect.

EDIT: I did this on the 6505 RED channel with the pregain all the way down and it was still BRUTAL sounding. The TS9 is pretty noisy on this amp whereas that stomp effect gets gated properly by the internal waste gate! lol <-- Got turbo's on the brain! haha
Last edited by surjer at Feb 13, 2012,
haha, my brother in law keeps messing with me. i told him im gonna get the sanpera, hes like cool.... but its not a tube screamer LOL.

would it be a terrible idea to grab the cheaper sanpera for now? whats the big difference for an extra $100?

EDIT: I am also working with limited space. so maybe the sanpera 1 is for me?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 13, 2012,
I like the extra dynamics that only tube amps provide at this point in time. Plus I am the sort of person that spends a lot of time selecting just the right preamp tubes and even mods their tube amps to do exactly what I want. (Invalid img)
Quote by romeozdistress
haha, my brother in law keeps messing with me. i told him im gonna get the sanpera, hes like cool.... but its not a tube screamer LOL.

would it be a terrible idea to grab the cheaper sanpera for now? whats the big difference for an extra $100?

EDIT: I am also working with limited space. so maybe the sanpera 1 is for me?

Yes.

Read the specs.
Charles Darwin
The sanpera II is way cooler because it has both a clutch AND a gas pedal. Not like its little automatic brother..

in all seriousness the II has more footswitches which i like to be able to turn individual effects on and off easier. I think the I can do the same thing but may take a series of taps to put into that mode or something? Cant remember exactly, i remember the II is easier.

Tell your brother in law your tubescreamer is built in.
Quote by Arby911
Yes.

Read the specs.

Yeah I just did. everyone hates 1 over 2 haha.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by surjer
Tell your brother in law your tubescreamer is built in.

He told me if it was that good, everyone would use this type of amp lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
im prolly just gonna save up for the 2, maybe look used and get it for under 200 somewhere. that will be a while though. i had like 50-100 to spend. but I can just wait a while and save up.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

Tell him you have to go now, you're going to go screw his sister...Then hang up.

He'll probably forget all about the tubescreamer issue...
Charles Darwin
I see. So pedals are the only reason for wanting different amps? Does he realise that not everybody even uses pedals? That is the most illogical thing I've heard for a long time. So I shouldn't build a plexi because a vyper has a good tubescreamer built into it? How are those two things even related?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by romeozdistress

What's the name of his band again? Got any clips from the "tone master"? lol

Seriously tho, grab a Sanpera II used and you'll be in great shape with some pretty sick tone that you can be proud of.
Quote by Arby911
Tell him you have to go now, you're going to go screw his sister...Then hang up.

He'll probably forget all about the tubescreamer issue...

Now THATS rock n friggn roll!!!
Out of curiosity, have you actually made any of your own patches yet? Cause if not, that would probably explain your dissatisfaction. The stock settings aren't that great IMO, except the clean one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Out of curiosity, have you actually made any of your own patches yet? Cause if not, that would probably explain your dissatisfaction. The stock settings aren't that great IMO, except the clean one.

not yet. I usually change the settings. I do need to rea dup on eqing and egt some help there. one stomp box I know I didnt like is the fuzz, it just sounds sooo digital to me man. any input on that?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I like the fuzz a lot, but on the other hand, I don't have any experience with actual fuzz pedals.

I can get a pretty awesome "Jimi Hendrix" esque tone with the fuzz on the plexi channel with the wah on my Sanpera though. I also have a sprinkling of chorus and reverb in there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i tried to PM you as to not post settings on here but for an "As I Lay Dying" setting try this

Once you make these changes just hold down one of the bank buttons and it will save it so you can reuse it.

I posted my settings here.

http://www.vypyrsettings.fr/?choice=send&idsetting=930&ind=0&debut=0&fin=100&page=1&choix_stomp=%&choix_user=%&choix_amps=%&choix_amps_type=%&choix_rack=%&choix_artist=&choixmotcle=&media=&ordre=
Quote by surjer
i tried to PM you as to not post settings on here but for an "As I Lay Dying" setting try this

Once you make these changes just hold down one of the bank buttons and it will save it so you can reuse it.

http://www.vypyrsettings.fr/?choice=send&idsetting=930&ind=0&debut=0&fin=100&page=1&choix_stomp=%&choix_user=%&choix_amps=%&choix_amps_type=%&choix_rack=%&choix_artist=&choixmotcle=&media=&ordre=

sweet i got that booked marked. i dont tune that low. but ill try for some drop d stuff. any help is cool. thanks again.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by surjer

that setting gives me the worst feedback.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ahh, the pregain is actually too high. Lower the pregain and it should be good to go. I will change the preset. Sorry bout that..

EDIT: Preset Fixed - let me know how it works out for you. I dont get feebback on this setting with the volume up pretty loud. I stand about 4' from my amp and its up off the ground at ear level.
Last edited by surjer at Feb 13, 2012,
what about the volume and tone knobs on he guitar? i usually always keep those at 10. never really messed with them. ive been getting alot of noise. maybe i should get a pedal for that or something. i play mine on the floor but i sit down and play on a chair.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 13, 2012,
one thing that annoys me about the metallica setting there is that every single one has scooped mids lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
You shouldn't be getting any noise. One of the biggest reasons I love my Vypyr is that it is totally silent. It also has the fastest and most intense gating I have ever experienced.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My volume and tone are maxed out on my guitar as well. On the floor will be fine if your sitting down low. The idea is to just get it to where the speaker is pointed at you so you can hear it better. I like to get into that habbit because thats what a "mic" will pick up and i got sick of finding a tone i like and not being able to get it onto tape.

Anyways back to your question. Volume and Tone all the way up. If your getting alot of noise it may be your cable or something. You using quality cables? They do make a difference.
just some cheap ass fender cable somebody gave me. should I maybe get a livwire or something like that? i have a couple fender cables. thats it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Well i can see some snarliness (noise & feedback) if you're using the tubescreamer + red channel of the high gain models. But you're going to get the same thing out of a real 6505 + gain at noon + tubescreamer if you're standing close to the amp
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Definitely. While the difference between a $25 and a $50 cable can be hard to find, the difference between a $5 and a $25 cable is massive.

Just make sure the cable is "thick", and not the terrible kind that comes in starter packs. I personally highly recommend Live Wire.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DarthV
Well i can see some snarliness (noise & feedback) if you're using the tubescreamer + red channel of the high gain models. But you're going to get the same thing out of a real 6505 + gain at noon + tubescreamer if you're standing close to the amp

ohh okay and thats exactly what ive been doing man lol. i usually just use the red rec with the tube screamer for metal. and the twin reverb for everything else.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Offworld92
Definitely. While the difference between a $25 and a $50 cable can be hard to find, the difference between a $5 and a $25 cable is massive.

Just make sure the cable is "thick", and not the terrible kind that comes in starter packs. I personally highly recommend Live Wire.

Yeah I see a 10 foot livewire for 9.99 I believe. do you think thats long enough for home practice? or should I just go longer?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd get at least a 15'. Cables are actually a lot shorter than they seem just looking at the length. The one I use right now is either an 18.6 or a 25, but I like to have a lot of space to move wherever..

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ohh okay cool man. thanks alot.
Ibanez Rg 321mh