Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with learning bending and vibrato on guitar. I've studied numerous lessons on youtube and sought numerous other guitar players' advice on learning both techniques, but one obstacle I keep coming up to is bending my wrist. When gripping the fretboard I can't seem to physically rotate it at all, it ends up sticking out at a 90 degree angle to my forearm which is really awkward and doesn't feel or look comfortable. I've been trying to practise rotating for months but I've made zero progress, can anyone suggest how to resolve this problem and what I'm doing wrong?
Go find a door. Grab the doorknob with your left hand. Turn it. There's your bending motion.
You'll notice that the motion comes from your elbow, as your wrist can't physically rotate in that way.

Edit: Your wrist should be straight by the way.
Last edited by which ones pink at Feb 13, 2012,
When I bed its like a twist motion from the wrist, and my thumb comes right over the top of the fretboard, so that it almost meets with the fingers holding the string. This gives a much stronger grip and helps with muting out unwanted noise.
Which Ones Pink - Just tried the doorknob idea, it's still bending at 90 degrees when I turn the doorknob.

Jkielq91 - That's the problem though, I can't make my wrist twist at all whilst holding down the string. It feels like I'm no longer able to turn my wrist when it's gripping something.
Quote by Innercelph
Which Ones Pink - Just tried the doorknob idea, it's still bending at 90 degrees when I turn the doorknob.

Jkielq91 - That's the problem though, I can't make my wrist twist at all whilst holding down the string. It feels like I'm no longer able to turn my wrist when it's gripping something.

Your wrist is bent at 90 degrees when you turn a doorknob? To me this sounds like a serious medical condition Could you maybe take a picture of how you bend and upload it?

Heres another idea: lay your hand and forearm flat on a table, palm down. Now roll your hand up on its edge so that it's 90 degrees to the table, with your fingers pointing straight out in front of you and your palm pointing right. The same motion as before, but with a straight wrist.

Edit: (click to make it bigger)
(Invalid img)

That's how I bend.
Last edited by which ones pink at Feb 13, 2012,
I don't have a camera on me atm but this is pretty much the angle my wrist goes when bending a string or turning a doorknob.

I can do the rotating my arm on the table idea fine, it's just when it's gripping it seems to be a problem.
Last edited by Innercelph at Feb 13, 2012,
Who the fudge installed your doors...Escher?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
http://ragefac.es/409

What kind of doors do you have??
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Feb 14, 2012,
Very funny guys, I have normal doorknobs... I just find them impossible to do without my wrist going at that sort of angle.
It wasn't entirely a joke - do you honestly wrap your hand around the entire doorknob to grasp it from behind? If you're genuinely having to open a door with your wrist at that angle then you need to see a doctor, but I honestly can't believe that you're holding a guitar like that because that's impossible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Innercelph
I don't have a camera on me atm but this is pretty much the angle my wrist goes when bending a string or turning a doorknob.

I can do the rotating my arm on the table idea fine, it's just when it's gripping it seems to be a problem.

ouch!!!

better idea: grab a book, keep the wrist straight, rotate it.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Steven Seagull - when holding the guitar neck I vary between the thumb-over-the-neck and thumb-on-the-back-of-the-neck positions and I'm certain i'm doing them right. My wrist sorta becomes locked into place when in either position though, I have to use either my finger muscles (which I know is wrong) or bend my wrist out at the aforementiond angle to be able to bend the string.
Quote by Innercelph

Jokes aside - go see a doctor who specializes in such things. I believe they're called physiotherapists. Because this wrist angling shouldn't happen while doing such activities. Hopefully it's just a bad habit you've somehow developed.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Quote by Innercelph
Steven Seagull - when holding the guitar neck I vary between the thumb-over-the-neck and thumb-on-the-back-of-the-neck positions and I'm certain i'm doing them right. My wrist sorta becomes locked into place when in either position though, I have to use either my finger muscles (which I know is wrong) or bend my wrist out at the aforementiond angle to be able to bend the string.

Your wrist should never be bent to that extent when playing the guitar, have a look at which ones pinks post to see what is should ideally be like.

You need to change the angle and height of the neck to compensate for the shift in position between thumb over and thumb behind the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Steven Seagull - that's how I hold the neck most of the time, I have to flex my wrist out to be able to bend the string though.

Freepower - my wrist is straight when holding the neck normally and I understand what I'm supposed to do, but my wrist just will not move at all when fretting a string.
Quote by steven seagull
Who the fudge installed your doors...Escher?

^
Almost had me in tears.

But uh OP, can you turn a key in a doorlock or something? That's the action you need to do with your wrist, like starting a car or something.

Oh, and don't ever be in front of me in a burning building, I want that door open asap.