Hey! So here's what's up...

I was in a metal band, so I bought a brand spankin' new ESP LTD EC-1000 with an EMG-81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck...mahogany body and mahogany neck...Thing sounded great for metal.

I'm no longer in that metal band, and I'm now in an emo band (real emo, like Jawbreaker, Mineral, etc) that just started up, so I play almost exclusively clean or light crunchy stuff. Look up the band Texas is the Reason - that's pretty much what I'm going after tone-wise.

Needless to say, that guitar with the EMG's sounds pretty horrid in this new band. I've already swapped out my old amp (a Peavey 6505) for a Sovtek MiG-50, but that guitar is still dragging me down. I want to swap out those EMG's for some new pick ups, but I know little to nothing about changing pick ups...it's actually the first time I've ever done it. So I guess I have a few questions...

1) What pick ups do you think would do my tone justice? I've been looking at putting a DiMarzio PAF or PAF Pro in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz in the neck. Any suggestions or advice?

2) I'm pretty sure both PAF's and the SH-2 are passive pick ups (could be wrong), and the EMG's they would be replacing are actives. Is that a problem, or does it not matter?

Any advice or anything would be greatly, greatly appreciated, I seriously know next to nothing about pickups haha...hope I provided enough background info.
You'd need to change your pots to either 500k or 250k pots. you might wanna change the input jacks to a mono, but the jack is not critical.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm not sure I would go with that set - it's just as possible to go overboard one way as it is the other. That is to say, you can get pickups with too little output.

For a medium/low output set that's really versatile, check out the SD Custom 5/'59. The Jazz will have cleaner cleans, if you want to substitute that in for the '59.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you roll back your volume they'll clean up very nicely.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
^ That too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Swap them round (81n and then 60b) and roll the volume off a bit.

Should work perfectly.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Right on...think I'm just gonna try to roll back on the volume a bit for now and see how that sounds. If it's still not sounding good I'm loving the idea of an SH-5 in the bridge with an SH-2 in the neck.
I just put a crunch lab in my Carvin. Its a pretty well balanced pickup, I would look into it.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Swap them round (81n and then 60b) and roll the volume off a bit.

Should work perfectly.

I did that before, didn't sound quite right but then that's subjective as you may like it or you won't.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+