I'd like some opinions on this if anyone wants to jump in on it.

I was in a band for about a year that tried everything to make it, until eventually we launched a self funded album and broke up. See sig if you're interested. Anyway, since then I've always been looking for something to replace it, and naturally another band seemed like the logical idea, but I struggle to find people who agree with me on my musical beliefs.

I joined a covers band with the intention of doing classic rock songs that were underplayed but still great, for example instead of paranoid I wanted to do neon knights or black moon etc. Instead of back in black I wanted to do Big Balls or the furor or countless other great songs. My basic idea behind this was that there are millions of brilliant songs, and cover bands only ever seem to play the same 10 of them. After showing initial interest eventually the band are now playing smoke on the water, schools out, paranoid and so on. So yeah . . . I lost that. But the thing is, I don't want to force someone round to my way of thinking, so I decided to carry on doing that and then for myself I'd make a youtube account and I'd play the songs that I liked that didn't get enough attention just for me.

Anyway, today my covers have been blocked for copyright infringement and I've sort of been left without an outlet. What I really wanna do is play music and have a good time and improve myself as a musician, but anytime I try and do something it seems to get shut down.

I don't wanna have to form a band with people who don't want to play unknown songs because thats not fair to them, but I'm struggling to find people who like my idea of playing different songs. I wouldn't mind forming an originals band but every musician 'wants to make it' and having tried that and seeing that it isn't what I'd hoped it would be I'd much rather be self made and do home recordings and things. I thought about doing solo stuff, but I don't personally find instrumental music as interesting as music with lyrics. I'd sing myself, but I have documented proof that I can't sing since I sang for my old band on the recordings before the ones in my sig and they were terrible.

I'd like to know what your musical outlet is, because I'm feeling quite down about guitar. Anything I try seems to be against what everyone else wants to do, and it wouldn't be fair of me to force other people into doing something they weren't fond of, but I need something where I can play music I like and feel like there is a point to it. I'm bored of learning or writing songs and then forgetting them because theres no reason to keep playing them.

I even considered playing acoustic and singing badly at open mics, but I found I didn't enjoy it, because I struggled to give the music the attitude it needed with an acoustic and no one really enjoyed it because they wanted to chill and I wanted to rock. Plus I don't like acoustics.

TL DR: I'd like to know how you express yourself musically because I need to find a way to make guitar worth playing.
I just like playing my acoustic. I don't need a band really, though it would be nice.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by CobenBlack

TL DR: I'd like to know how you express yourself musically because I need to find a way to make guitar worth playing.

By playing in a band

Cover bands suck. trying to "make it" sucks. At the risk of sounding like a motivational speaker, play music because you want to play music, and if you can't find people who want to do that then look harder or do it on your own.

As for my "musical outlet", I write songs and then I play them for people. If people want to play them with me, they're free to.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 13, 2012,
I do what the hell I feel like doing.
I play acoustic, I play electric, I make electronic music from dubstep through DnB to trance, some hip hop, I attempt to sing, write lyrics/poems; often turning into short stories.
Don't pigeon-hole yourself brah.
Metal Militia,

Everyone plays guitar for their own reasons. Some play it to jam out songs they know and a cover band is everything they'd need. Some people want to play stadiums and spend a lot of money on hair spray, and that's cool to because they're doing what makes them happy. It's not for me to say what is good or bad, I'm asking what you enjoy in music, because me playing songs by myself isn't fulfilling me. I learn half a song then get bored because I could be learning any other song, there's no reason to finish it, hence I need a band or an outlet where I can play it, but I'm not getting it from youtube as they ban me, or from live bands because they don't wanna play the same thing.

And don't worry, you didn't sound like a motivational speaker.
Actually, I've been struggling with this too. I was in a pretty good (at least we think we were pretty good) originals band for a couple years, but then we kinda broke up, and our drummer now lives in Pennsylvania. We could never find a singer we were happy with (or that I was happy with, since I wrote the songs), which largely lead to our break up. Now I still play guitar, but I've really been struggling with goals and staying focused, because I don't have songs to learn, and I don't have anything to do with any songs I've written. I also sing, and I was really making progress on my voice for a while, but then around november I got super sick, and my range totally died. Its coming back, but I'm not sure I'll ever get it where I want it.

Have you ever considered doing an internet collab or something?
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

At the moment I have my band, my music course and I go busking occasionally. I'm trying to work up the courage to start playing at open mic nights.

Coben, I know what you mean about feeling down about guitar. My band at the moment, it took 6 months to get all the members, 6 months of writing and now two members have left. So we're set back another 6 months. I feel like I'm in a rut, I walk past bars and hear bands playing and I feel a little anxious like, **** I want to be up there with them! Like I feel like I am so far away from where I want to be. And even then I'm not sure if I'll be able to have an income.

How come your youtube got shut down? I mean there are so many people out there who do covers and upload them, why did they attack yours?

I think to find like minded people, just advertise on all the musician classifieds. Online, local magazines, put posters up in music shops, everything. And make sure you state EXACTLY what you want, that you want to start a covers band of great bands but not their biggest hits.

I learnt the hard way that being in a band for the sake of being in a band doesn't work. You need to be playing the music you enjoy. I think there would be plenty of other musicians who would want to do the same thing as you
I don't know why I got shut down. I had no subscribers and since I was playing songs no one really played my highest ranking video only had about 50 views. I wasn't exactly diverting massive traffic from anyone, and I know that there has to be a precedent legally, but I really do feel that just having that little outlet and being able to play some music was a great thing.

You know, it's just sad that all I'm asking for is to be able to post some covers of some songs I like so that it feels like I'm learning songs for a reason, and I get shut down.
Yes, I know what you mean. I find having a youtube account is really motivating because you know people are going to watch it so you want to be able to play it perfectly and it gives you something to show for all the practice. I just started one last night! Maybe you can try busking? I get backing tracks from guitarbackingtrack.com and play with those in the city. It's really good exposure too, if my band were a little further ahead I'd put up a little sign advertising us. If you do try it, you could put up a notice saying, looking for other musicians or something. You never know who's going to walk past
I've been considering busking. Never been too sure if people would appreciate it, or if it would be unwelcome since it's usually more unknown music by heavier artists than most buskers would play, but maybe it's worth a shout. I think the online collaboration idea may be something interesting to look into as well.
I just play by my little lonesome self, I don't seek an audience or anything else
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Well I am a big fan of jamming. So my ideal band would be a kickass jamband that played groove ass shit and had fun with it. Of course being 16, there's not many people my age that are fans of that scene... so until I find some people that really share the same musical interests as I do, I just play with people I get along with and we find ways to sort of combine our different interests.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
You need to find people who just want to practice just to practice. Or play just to play. I was in the same deal. I was in and out of bands because they kept trying to take it too seriously.

So I decided I'd just practice/play to make myself happy. So I started playing with a friend who is a drummer. The first couple times we were helping some friends with record engineering. So we'd just have 5 minute songs that were completely improvised - pretty much a jam session.

After awhile we just jammed at his house. We kept this up for 4 months or so. It wasn't until after that we started doing other things and then realized we wanted to start a band.

But even so, we just do it when it feels comfortable. Some days we'll just jam because that's what we want to do. Other times we'll actually work on music writing. You shouldn't conform yourself to one way of playing music or one way of thinking about it.
Quote by moscaespañol
Look at this awesome bird.

This sexy mofo is cooler.

I'm in a band and we are playing generic rock music (with pop punk elements and the occasional influence from me). I don't really like the type of music we play, so I'm recording my own solo stuff. Just buy a mic and an interface to get started if you haven't already. That's the bare minimum but it's awesome hearing your work playing back at you.
Quote by slipknot5678

I'm in a band and we are playing generic rock music (with pop punk elements and the occasional influence from me). I don't really like the type of music we play, so I'm recording my own solo stuff. Just buy a mic and an interface to get started if you haven't already. That's the bare minimum but it's awesome hearing your work playing back at you.

Also this.

I have a bunch of stuff that I've written that I really dig, so this summer when I actually get a chance I plan on recording a little 5-6 song demo just for the hell of it.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by slipknot5678
This sexy mofo is cooler.

THAT'S A NOICE BIRD MON IT'S NOICE

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol
THAT'S A NOICE BIRD MON IT'S NOICE
That bird's average at best.
ggg1 ggg3

I sing.

Professionally, I've only done it for local radio commercials when I still lived in TN.
Quote by behind_you
That bird's average at best.

How was my bird?
and this one

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol
How was my bird?
and this one
Your birds are bros.

But nothing compares to:

ggg1 ggg3

I ain't readin that shit.

But I did see some blurb about wanting to play lesser known covers rather than the same 10 ones every other cover band does.

Lemme tell you what happens to the bands that try that around here. Which is southern rock cover band capital. They don't get gigs. Cover band is a live juke box. Nobody is putting quarters in for b sides.

If you're going to play covers from popular bands, but pick obscure songs you may as well be playing originals as far as the audience is concerned.
Quote by behind_you
Your birds are bros.

But nothing compares to:

Except cockatoos.

Average at best.
Quote by BlackVoid
I ain't readin that shit.

But I did see some blurb about wanting to play lesser known covers rather than the same 10 ones every other cover band does.

Lemme tell you what happens to the bands that try that around here. Which is southern rock cover band capital. They don't get gigs. Cover band is a live juke box. Nobody is putting quarters in for b sides.

If you're going to play covers from popular bands, but pick obscure songs you may as well be playing originals as far as the audience is concerned.

What's interesting, is when people without all the information think they can still contribute to a discussion, because, you know, they're good enough to take a wild stab in the dark and still impart useful advice. Thanks guy!

Some of the other opinions in this are very interesting though. The ducks are clearly the winners here though =D
Internet projects ftw. I have one atm and it's the best thing evah.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
I write as much as possible and try to be a musical whore with bands. I play bass too (and actually enjoy it ) And no one ever has a bassist so musical projects are always plentiful, and I play stand up too so that helps alot.
Quote by TooFast
I just like playing my acoustic. I don't need a band really, though it would be nice.

Dawt.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Grab your acoustic, put capo on second, sit under tree, sing your heart out.

That's how I do it.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by Tessalate
Grab your acoustic, put capo on second, sit under tree, sing your heart out.

That's how I do it.

I like the 4th fret for just messing around... Can get some really cool sounds, and still work with a deeper voice.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
*came into thread*
*saw bird pictures*

But musical outlet would be playing for 1-2 people by request. I can play a wide variety of bar favorites, so I can play anything that will please everybody.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

I plug in my musical equipment into one of these.

lol jk I have a power conditioner
pinga
I'd like to buy a western acoustic just so I can fit my capo on an acoustic.

I'd also like to get a pendant ocarina, so I can make women cry out of love and respect for being such a sissy.

But most of all, I want a guitar permanently in Open Bb.

Yep, I know my outlets