Hey guys! So I finally bit the bullet, sold my electric, and bought an acoustic guitar! I figured that an acoustic would really help me learn some of the things I really need to learn to become a good guitarist. Transferring from electric to acoustic seems a lot harder than transferring from acoustic to electric, and it seems like there are many more things to learn on acoustic.

I got a Mexican made Taylor 110 for 275$. It was obviously used, it had about two or three scratches on the front, and one or two on the back, but it still sounded great, better than anything else in the shop for $275!

Now to the point...

I would like to amplify my acoustic! I would normally mic it, but I want a more portable solution, so I can move around a bit more. I am aware that there are many pickup solutions on the market, but I simply have no experience in this area, and it appears to be quite complicated as there are many different ways to amplify an acoustic.

I want to spend around $150, but I am prepared to spend more if it is possible to actually install a condenser mic on/in my guitar....

I always hear that pickups never do the guitar justice, so I was wondering if it was possibly to some how mount a condenser mic somewhere in or on the guitar, route it through the bottom with a jack so I could hook it up to an amp. This solution sounds the most attractive to me.

If the condenser mic is possible, could someone start to nudge me in the right direction and post instructions on how to install it and what kind of mic they would recommend? Also, could you still post a pickup solution you have used and enjoyed, just in case?

Thanks in advanced guys!
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Last edited by Funcoot at Feb 13, 2012,
i think you're a little low in price for an internal mic set up, but i could be wrong. here's some listed at maury's http://www.maurysmusic.com/pickups_amps and there are links to hear how many of them sound in action. my personal fave that uses a mic here http://www.maurysmusic.com/pickup_comparisons is the k&k trinity, with the mix 50% pickup and 50% mic
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Hmm, it appears I am off by a bit. With that K&K solution, I can just get the pickup and always upgrade to the mic it appears. That may be a viable solution.

I was also considering just trying to jerry rig my own solution, but I wouldn't exactly know where to start. I would think that figuring out my own mounting solution would be cheaper and allow me to use a perhaps even better condenser mic. I would need to first buy a preamp with this solution though, correct?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Also, how bad is the feedback with those soundboard transducer pickups?
Quote by smirnoff_black
a regular condenser mic is not going to sound great mounted in or right at the guitar. the proximity effect alone would be over the top. the mics made for inside of guitars are made for the inside of a guitar - no boom, no echo issues.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have the LR Baggs element and it sounds great. Better than the Fishman in my Martin. For what you want, I might try this:

http://www.lrbaggs.com/anthemsl/

You can buy the Element and the Anthem mic separate, too.

ETA: Also, I played a Seagull that had a combo undersaddle with mic. The mic was on the strings, so it would pick up the pick noise, which I liked. It sounded great, but you'll have to do your own research to see what they use in their guitars.
what
Last edited by IamJonsCranium at Feb 15, 2012,