I need a vst or audio unit for orchestral instruments or choirs that will work with Ableton Live. I've searched everywhere on the internet but most "free" versions don't work well or are shit. I can put together about 100-150 euros by only eating tuna and ramen noodles for the rest of the month, but it will be worth it.
So ya, link me to some software please, need orchestral instruments in my music really badly.

If you help me I will return the favour by offering you a 3 month UG premium account membership, meaning you can access the secret forums and join in the real UG experience.
(UG premium doesn't really exist though)
Quote by jetfuel495
That ain't it. Nobody's replied.

You'd probably get better luck in the recordings forum or something.

But there's only like one post a day in the recordings forum.
Starve a little more and get Vienna Symphonic Library's Special Editions bundle. It's a little out of your price range but is pretty comprehensive. It's the basic tier of a library used by most professionals and will be great for any nonprofessional sequences. But also keep in mind that the major factor in getting a great sounding sequence isn't the VI's themselves, it's how you're able to use and control them.

My soundcloud has a couple of mockups that uses the VSL SE library if you want to hear examples. The La Mer mockup uses VSL the most.

Alternatively, you could shell out a little less and have me do the orchestral mockups for you, since this is something I'm trying to specialize in.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 13, 2012,
Thanks man, that's really helpful. Checked out your songs too and they're amazing, loved the Adagio for Strings rendition.
Considering waiting a few months to save up for the Vienna Symphonic, watched a few demos on youtube and it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, do you know if Vienna has anything like the symphonic choirs world builder tool? would love to have that but it's like 600 bucks.
Yes they have a choir library as well but it's also pretty expensive. That's something you'll just have to wait for in the future.

Keep in mind VSL instruments were recorded fully dry, so they don't sound very good out of the box. They do that so you can have full control over the mix as well as constructing the space that the instruments are going to be in. So you should get a good grasp of concepts related to that, such as using the right reverb and getting the right early reflections and tails, mixing and panning the instruments in a way that reflects a real stage, otherwise it's gonna sound very messy.

Oh also I should mention that on the Adagio, I was using a dedicated strings library, LA Scoring Strings, which is $1000+. But you can definitely achieve a similar result with the VSL strings if you know what you're doing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
VSL uses a proprietary engine, much like EastWest's Play engine but way better, so all of your VSL samples load up in the Vienna Instruments or Vienna Ensemble interfaces, which are free downloads with any VSL purchase.

Kontakt, however, is definitely a great investment as well because there are a ton of great libraries (LASS, CineSamples, SoundIron, 8Dio, etc) that uses this sampler, which is the industry standard.

There are also modeling instruments today which use algorithmic synths instead of audio samples, and take up virtually no space...maybe 30-80mb instead of 40-150gb. In general, this route is still in the early stages and there's still work to be done to make them sound more authentic, but there are already a couple that are pretty damn close and offer advantages over sampled instruments. Check out Wallander Instruments winds & brass, and PianoTeq pianos.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I use Philharmonik and that works just fine with me
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Quote by Xiaoxi
VSL uses a proprietary engine, much like EastWest's Play engine but way better, so all of your VSL samples load up in the Vienna Instruments or Vienna Ensemble interfaces, which are free downloads with any VSL purchase.

Kontakt, however, is definitely a great investment as well because there are a ton of great libraries (LASS, CineSamples, SoundIron, 8Dio, etc) that uses this sampler, which is the industry standard.

There are also modeling instruments today which use algorithmic synths instead of audio samples, and take up virtually no space...maybe 30-80mb instead of 40-150gb. In general, this route is still in the early stages and there's still work to be done to make them sound more authentic, but there are already a couple that are pretty damn close and offer advantages over sampled instruments. Check out Wallander Instruments winds & brass, and PianoTeq pianos.

so are you saying its solely a stand alone application?

i have pianoteq and the sound isnt bad..will check out wallander instruments thanks
Quote by dazed60
so are you saying its solely a stand alone application?

i have pianoteq and the sound isnt bad..will check out wallander instruments thanks

It can be used as a standalone but it's also packaged with VST/AU/RTAS instances. It uses a shell based system in which it has the plugin files that will be recognized in any DAW but when you enable the plugin, it opens up the actual engine as a separate application, but the MIDI and audio routing are interconnected.

How do you like PianoTeq? For me, it's still a little too sterile sounding. The nice thing about sampled instruments is that they have the organic warmth of the real instruments. That's why I still prefer the NI pianos.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
and may i ask how much disk space it takes up?

must be huge

EDIT:seen your edit

pianoteq is ok for what it is

i didnt expect it to sound spot on or anything

theres certainly worse out there
Last edited by dazed60 at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by dazed60
and may i ask how much disk space it takes up?

must be huge

That depends on how extensive your library is.

If you just get the basic Standard Editions, it's about 60GB, which is not bad for an entire orchestra (LASS takes up 40+GB). It does mean they sacrifice a few velocity layers per instrument, articulations, and other extensions that the full top tier libraries have. The entire collection would probably be about 500GB-1TB.

When you're working with lots of sample libraries, it's not unusual to have terabytes of storage over many drives and 24-32GB of memory each in 2-4 slave computers + 1 master. Then of course you need another few terabytes just to back everything up and then back up the backup

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by dazed60
god damnit my main hard drive is only 500gb

Well you shouldn't be putting the samples on your main drive anyway because when you're working in your DAW, the hard drive is constantly reading and writing audio data to your OS drive and it's extremely taxing and damaging on the drive to have to access the samples at the same time. You should have dedicated internal drives just for samples.

It just sucks that right now is not a good time to buy drives because of the flooding in Thailand which caused a hefty price inflation.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i would have thought wav samples let alone vsts would run like crap off another hard drive?

i dont see how it can possibly be as fast as normal

guess i should move my sound library
Quote by dazed60
i would have thought wav samples let alone vsts would run like crap off another hard drive?

i dont see how it can possibly be as fast as normal

guess i should move my sound library

The applications/plugins themselves live on the OS drive. They're just interfaces. The actual samples should be on another drive. The way most samples work is that the lead of the samples are loaded into memory, which allows time for the computer to then reference the body of the samples on the hard drives.

7200RPM drives using a SATA, FW800, or Thunderbolt connection are good for storing the samples.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yea i think i get it now

im just not used to working with such large applications with seperate soundbanks ect

mainly under 1gb vsts that dont seem to come with seperate sound librarys and fruity loops studio

i recently got kontakt but havnt tried making anything with it yet

this info will come in very handy.thanks
Last edited by dazed60 at Feb 14, 2012,
Kontakt is great. Not only is it the industry standard host for most libraries today, it's also a powerful sample processor. You can record your own sounds from anything and load it up in Kontakt, tweak it and add effects, organize them, and bam, you have your very own sound library. Lots of sound designers use it to do just that.

Some libraries you should check out: Cinebrass/Cinebrass Pro, LA Scoring Strings, Heavyocity Evolve, Symphobia, Sonokinetic Tutti, Morphestra, NI Akoustik/Elektrik Pianos, Tonehammer Emotional Piano.

There are also these things called convolution reverb, which samples reverbs from real spaces. They capture the impulse response of the space from multiple distances and coordinates and you can run any audio through it and it's as if you were recording/performing from the Berlin Philharmonic hall or Sony Pictures Scoring Stage. It's crazy!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ive checked some on youtube and they seem pretty amazing

pitty i cant afford all of those lol