Okay I am not knew to tapping. the concept is very familiar to me. But i guess i have never really tapped on open strings. As in the right hand tapping with the left hand completely of the fret board (I am a righty). But I am learning always with me always with you by Joe Satriani and the tapping part works mainly off the open string. Whenever tap with my right hand on the 12th it sounds weird. Sorta of sharp, sorta like a piercing alien/space noise. My intonation is fine and whenever i mute the string with my left hand or fret any fret lower than lets say the 12th the noise goes away. this noise only happens whenever my left hand is completelt off the fret board. i am clueless...
I think what your experiencing is the string sounding on both sides of your finger. or maybe the string is sliding off the side of your fretboard
Last edited by Viban at Feb 13, 2012,
Maybe you need to be more determined with your tap as in hit it hard and hold it firm. Maybe you're getting a bit of harmonic because you're not holding your finger on there firmly enough. Is your action ok? Not to low?
no its not going off the side of the fret board, I am on the B string. What do you mean hearing the string on both sides of my finger?
I mean the part of the string that is on the side of your finger up by the head, it sounds when you tap too sometimes, also check to see if your string is hitting your pickup
Quote by Twidler
Maybe you need to be more determined with your tap as in hit it hard and hold it firm. Maybe you're getting a bit of harmonic because you're not holding your finger on there firmly enough. Is your action ok? Not to low?

I am playing a Gibson Les Paul studio. The action is very nice and low, but to fret buzz or anything. The harder i tap the worse it gets... it completely goes away when my left hand mutes the string
Quote by Viban
I mean the part of the string that is on the side of your finger up by the head, it sounds when you tap too sometimes, also check to see if your string is hitting your pickup

You maybe be right about hearing both sides of the string because i listened on both sides and that makes sense.... its kinda of noticeable through the amp, not as much but still there