I'm on a fender kick somehow and I've been looking into getting a Jazz bass. Can't afford a USA, so looks like I'll have to go Mexi. I've been looking at the Standard Jazz bass ($599), the FSR Standard J Bass ($499), and the 70's Jazz Bass ($849).

The 70's Jazz Bass looks nice, but for the price how close is it to a real 70's Fender?
The Standard of course is standard, so it seems reliable.
The FSR has an ash body, which I love (My old P-bass has an ash body) but is much cheaper than the others.

So of these basses, what's your opinion? I like a punchy, cutting kinda tone. I play mostly rock, metal, some punk. Rise Against, Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Green Day.... Hell just anything with a good bass line to it.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
I'm on a fender kick somehow and I've been looking into getting a Jazz bass. Can't afford a USA, so looks like I'll have to go Mexi. I've been looking at the Standard Jazz bass ($599), the FSR Standard J Bass ($499), and the 70's Jazz Bass ($849).

The 70's Jazz Bass looks nice, but for the price how close is it to a real 70's Fender?
The Standard of course is standard, so it seems reliable.
The FSR has an ash body, which I love (My old P-bass has an ash body) but is much cheaper than the others.

So of these basses, what's your opinion? I like a punchy, cutting kinda tone. I play mostly rock, metal, some punk. Rise Against, Metallica, Megadeth, Rush, Green Day.... Hell just anything with a good bass line to it.

Depending on what your current bass is, I'd wait until I could afford the USA, so you could really step up what you have. What do you play now?
Used Japanese Reissue.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Imo, you should wait and get something really cool a little farther down the line. The wait is definitely excruciating haha, but worth it. I'm pretty sure the American standard is like a grand, so if your ready to put out 700 for a mexi, i'd wait until you can get the american.
Quote by tomc2
Depending on what your current bass is, I'd wait until I could afford the USA, so you could really step up what you have. What do you play now?

Well Right now i have a peavey millenium with active pickups. It sounds great but I like a Jazz bass's tone better. Paid $350 for it if I remember right. I've never had much cash, most of my instruments were gifts from family musicians.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by consecutive e
Used Japanese Reissue.

+1.

If you're going to go MIM, go used and save yourself a bundle that you could put towards an MIA or something else later down the road. You should be able to find a good MIM Jazz for around $300.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by ThrashMetal014
Well Right now i have a peavey millenium with active pickups. It sounds great but I like a Jazz bass's tone better. Paid $350 for it if I remember right. I've never had much cash, most of my instruments were gifts from family musicians.

+1

Sounds about the same as a USA Fender, plays a little nicer (IMO) and is about a third of the price.....
Quote by Tostitos
+1.

If you're going to go MIM, go used and save yourself a bundle that you could put towards an MIA or something else later down the road. You should be able to find a good MIM Jazz for around $300.

Easily, there's even a lot of American J basses (Highway 1 and beyond) for relatively good prices online as well usually.

I wouldn't recommend saving towards a vintage J bass from the 70's, they might look cool, but fender had most of it's known QC issues around then.

Could also go SX and get one for like $120 and have more toward your future goal, and SX usually sell used for close to new prices.
Eh, I'd prefer a fender. Guess I'll just look around for an old MIJ or MIA and see what I can find then.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I'd say try for a used MIJ or Geddy Lee, either are far superior in quality for a descent price.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
Quote by askrere
I wouldn't recommend saving towards a vintage J bass from the 70's, they might look cool, but fender had most of it's known QC issues around then.

I think he's talking about a Classic series 70's Jazz (MIM, similar in idea to an American Vintage reissue).

In any case, real vintage 70's Fenders are hit or miss. The CBS era is known for having sketchy QC, but basses from that era should be taken on a case by case basis. There are some real winners that are as good as any other vintage Fender, and there are some real dogs I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I think he's talking about a Classic series 70's Jazz (MIM, similar in idea to an American Vintage reissue).

In any case, real vintage 70's Fenders are hit or miss. The CBS era is known for having sketchy QC, but basses from that era should be taken on a case by case basis. There are some real winners that are as good as any other vintage Fender, and there are some real dogs I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.

I was talking about the 70's reissue classic series. I only liked it because I had a 70's P-bass that was a heck of a player.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
The FSR Jazz is a pre-2009 updated bass that GC/MF sell exclusively. You're getting specs from those years meaning the pickups aren't as hot, there probably isn't shielding in the body cavity, and the overall craftsmanship may not be up to today's bass. That said, they're at a pretty decent price if that's important. I've got on the way a brand new Standard which I bought at 15% off ($510) and a case for $90.

I looked at the American Jazz, but dang that's a lot of money new. Used would be better, but sometimes it's nice to be the first owner too. I say it depends on your playing level; if you're jamming at home save the money, but if you're hitting the road buy the best you can for the wear and tear ahead. Good luck!
Those 70's reissue Mexican Fenders are the dogs bollocks. Always regret selling mine, the standard series ones tend to be somewhat meh, but that one wasn't too far of my American ones quality wise.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Those 70's reissue Mexican Fenders are the dogs bollocks. Always regret selling mine, the standard series ones tend to be somewhat meh, but that one wasn't too far of my American ones quality wise.

I echo this, though I never really tried the standard series but heard they're hit and miss.
signature