This may seem like a silly question, but here goes. tax return season is upon us, and I've been set to get quite a nice chunk of cash. Now, I absolutely love semi-hollow guitars (a la Gretsch), but I've also been recently recruited as the guitarist for a metal band. Do semi-hollows allow for a good metal sound? I've never seen one used for such purposes before. Would I need to invest in a certain model, certain pickups? We wouldn't be playing in anything lower than D Standard, so I wouldn't imagine I'd have to mess with the guitar itself too much.
Honey mustard is best mustard.
well, the problem with semi-hollows and metal has to do primarily with well, the semi-hollowness, semi-hollows have a nasty tendency to feed back under mid-level gain much less the high gain used for heavy metal..... so its not that you can't do it, you will just have feedback issues
You're going to be dealing with A LOT of feedback issues. A semi-hollow *might* be ok, but there will always be feedback issues.

I'm playing in a blues/rock band, using a Gretsch 5120, and I get feedback all the time whenever I turn on my fuzz or blues driver. It's getting pretty annoying. It might be my amp (Vox AD50VT), or the mediocre pickups, but I don't think I could play a loud show with what I have now.

Josh Homme uses semi-hollow guitars so I'm thinking it might work for you.

Best bet would be trying one out in a store with your pedals/amp. See how loud you can get without terrible feedback.
I'm kind of a pickup n00b, but are there any brands that would help provide a thicker tone? Or would the stock on the guitar do that best? I've heard semi hollows tend to have a thicker sound on their own.
I got a cheap little semi hollow with no upgrades or anything and i can get a pretty good Tool sound from it, though i don't know what kind of metal you're talking about. but hey if they're comfortable to you, and you get one with suitable pickups and don't mind a little feedback i don't see why not.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
i run warpigs in my prs hb.

you can do whatever you want.

once you're used to it the feedback isn't a problem at all.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i think it would be best to buy a PRS hollow like Emil from Daath. other than that you will probably have alot of feedback issues. You could always put high output humbuckers in a hollowbody but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a hollowbody.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by theponz
I got a cheap little semi hollow with no upgrades or anything and i can get a pretty good Tool sound from it, though i don't know what kind of metal you're talking about. but hey if they're comfortable to you, and you get one with suitable pickups and don't mind a little feedback i don't see why not.

Tool is actually pretty close to the tone I like.

Quote by iceh88
i think it would be best to buy a PRS hollow like Emil from Daath. other than that you will probably have alot of feedback issues. You could always put high output humbuckers in a hollowbody but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a hollowbody.

Well, as shallow as it sounds, it's really the look and feel of the guitar that I love. So...it's kind of more of an aesthetic thing to me haha
If you can manage to play without standing next to a blasting speaker you’ll be fine. If you’re one of those guys who must always be within 48" of a full-stack with a 100 watt head it’s probably a bad idea.
If i remember right Pepper Keenan has a dot or an ES33 whatever it is, and you can stuff tshirts or rags in them to help with feedback