I've playing since I was 11 Played in Southern Ontario (Canada) in the 90's and enjoyed some moderate success.

I've since started a DJ company and am looking to start performing live again..
Decided I needed some new gear... Damn....

multi-fx, boads, pods? v-amps,?

I take 10 years off and I'm lost.....

Here's what I'm looking to do...

I've bought some nice quality studio-produced backing tracks (was surprised how nice they sound) and am looking to add a One and Half hour
"Rock Concert" to my corporate entertainment customers, as well as having a DJ for afterwards.

Show will comprised of: guitar/vocals/ live - everything else backing tracks.

I was to keep gear light so what would be a good reliable amp modeler or DI to directly into the mixing desk?

I've looked at SAns-amps
Digitech multi-pedals with amps modelers
Behringer v-amp
line 6 pods,

The majour problem I'm having with this stuff is that it doesn;t seem to be developed for a standing guitarist, with the exception of the Berhinger unit - I can purchase a stompboard and dual expression pedal unti to make the V-amp a live performance unit.

Am I missing anything?
Any help offered would be appreciated.
Budget?

Location?

Styles of Music?

How big are the venues you'll be playing?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Also should add, what's your current setup?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Okay This what I was looking to do:

Guitar - Multi-effects pedal / Wah pedal - guitar DI or Sans amp - Mix desk.

The DJ console also goes to the Mix Desk

Then out to my 700w small system for 300 - under to my large 3000 watt system for 300-500 people Events

Is this the Correct setup?

The bells and Whistles are - DMX controlled L.E.D. lighting and music video display as well.

For those wondering:
Primary Guitar: 1984 Ibanez Artist
Backup: 2012 Squire Strat (hhs chrome model)

I've never used effects before (played mostly blues)
What I do own:
Ibanez Tube Screamer (from mid-80's)
DUnlop Crybaby Wah (from late 80's/early 90's)

that's it.
Why do you feel like you need a multiFX? What tones/effects are you going to need/want? If you only need a couple effects, it would probably be more worth it to just go with compact pedals.
Quote by djmarcelca
The majour problem I'm having with this stuff is that it doesn;t seem to be developed for a standing guitarist, with the exception of the Berhinger unit - I can purchase a stompboard and dual expression pedal unti to make the V-amp a live performance unit.
Why do you think the Digitech units aren't for a standing guitarist. They have several models with increasing amounts of footswitches and flexibility as you go up the price range. Same with Line 6 and the Pod HD series.
For mfx, I'd look at the pod hd's.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by &baconstrips
Why do you feel like you need a multiFX? What tones/effects are you going to need/want? If you only need a couple effects, it would probably be more worth it to just go with compact pedals.

To make pop guitar/80's pop sounds.

Unlike my previous experience playing what I wanted to; sounding like I wanted to, This will be all covers, and therefore I need sound effects.

I admit it was alot easier when I was playing BBking/Jeff Healy/ SRV covers in Blues Bars
Ok then, a multifx is probably your best bet cause you'll be able to just switch between pre-programmed tones. A lot of them have onboard amp/speaker simulators, and if that's the case, you won't need a sansamp, A basic DI will do. Don't cheap out on the multiFX, cheap ones sound really bad, +1 on the pod HD.
I really like the pod HD series, and they can be plugged directly into the PA. They take a little tweaking and programming, but they have a TON of available sounds, and configurations (especially the HD-500), and IMO it's the best option for going DI into the PA. The AxeFx sounds somewhat better, but to me the price difference isn't justified. multi FX / modelling pedals have really come a long way, and the newer generation units have a pretty damn convincing sound. I won't say you couldn't tell which is which, but it's awfully close.

IMO the biggest difference between a POD HD and a real amp has more to do with dynamics, and the way an amp responds to your picking than the actual sound. Grab one from guitar center and mess around with it for a couple weeks. If it doesn't do it for you, return it. I doubt you'll be returning it though. It would be pretty much perfect for what you want to do.

EDIT: I've read pretty good reviews on the new Zoom units too, but haven't used anything from Zoom myself since the late 90's. I'd say try out several and see which one you think sounds best. Just keep in mind that a lot of them will require a bit of tweaking before you get it to sound just right, so a 15 minute demo at GC may not do it justice.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 14, 2012,
Peavey Vypyr Valves go a long way.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
After watching several youtube vids of these units I think I've narrowed it down to 3
digitech rp255
Guitar pod 2.0
Behringer V-amp3

These will all be routed through an Active DI box
For a multi effects unit you want at a minimum a Pod XT live or X3 Live. Preferably
the X3. You can get used ones for $275 or less if you look hard enough.
You can run the pod XT/X3 right into the mix desk if it has unbalanced inputs. The
XT/X3 is basically an incredibly fancy amplifier pre-amp. You can even use them directly into the return jack of most amps effects loops this bypasses the amps pre-amp (loop must be series loop for this to work) The nice thing about Line 6 XT/X3 is that there are thousands of presets uploaded by users into line 6's community area. So there should be a preset for just about any artist or song your likely to play.
You also want a small looper. Yes the RP255 has some loop capablitiy but it is limited.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by djmarcelca
After watching several youtube vids of these units I think I've narrowed it down to 3
digitech rp255
Guitar pod 2.0
Behringer V-amp3

These will all be routed through an Active DI box

You will only need the DI box if your mix desk does not have an unbalanced input or Hi Z input
I ended up purchasing a Digitech RP355

I gotta admit: the JCM800 amp model combined with the Brit(marshall) 2x12 model sounds very very close to the real thing.

Almost makes me wish I didn;t sell my own JCM800 to pay off depts in the mid 90's
I've been plugging away and have made it up to 45 mins of material learned well enough to start making promo vids for youtube/facebook my DJ website.

I wish backing tracks of this quality were this available in 90's
I would never have stopped playing.
Google is proving to be my friend.