Page 1 of 2
Well, it's finally all here! The cab arrived yesterday morning.

I was impressed with this amp right out of the box. Everything was well packaged, both switches in the off position and all the knobs on zero. So I'll give them a 9 on that front.

A quality speaker cable was provided, that was nice.

I tried out the headphone jack first and was impressed with the level of volume control when using headphones. I was able to get the volume to about 1 o'clock before it started to get really loud. I did notice that when I went back to standby it took a few seconds for the signal to go away from the headphones. I'll give this option a 7.5

I had to play with the foot switch cable to get it going and I wouldn't say it's "seamless" 4.5.

Channel 1 is good, not Twin Reverb good. You can definitely get some dirt here with gain turned up and beefy pick up to match. I'll give that a 6, because they bragged abot it being so good I was a little let down.

Channel 2 is awesome! Plenty of crunch to go around here, folks. Even at low volumes it sounded pretty good. Brown sound and more to spare. Channel 2 gets a 9.

Channel 3 has a ton of gain, then some more gain on top of that. I dialed in Ed's early 90's tone easily on this channel. It was a little noisy so I'll give an 8.

Sorry for the weak review, it's 3:00 am and I need to get some sleep.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Last edited by scott john at Feb 14, 2012,
HNAD! Eddie would be proud. Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Happy New Amp Day I have been looking at buying one of these (or a Carvin V3M). Best of luck with the amp
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
DAMN! very nice!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Beautiful.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by GS LEAD 5
HNAD! Epic amp.

Though why are you running a 50W amp into what looks like a 25W cab?

The impedance is matched at 16 ohms, I don't think there should be a problem.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Quote by scott john

if blowing the 25w speaker isnt a problem for you.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
if blowing the 25w speaker isnt a problem for you.

Why would they sell it as a package if it was going to be a problem?

I would think they've considered this before putting out on the market.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Quote by scott john

Had you been using an SS amp that was rated at 50W at 8 ohms, then yes, it would run at 25 at 16 ohms. Which is why most SS amps dont even have an impedance selector, they just have a warning that says use this much minimum. But a 50W tube amp will provide 50W no matter what impedance you select. Also, i see youre setting your OT at 16 on an 8 ohm cab.

Youre lucky it didnt just blow up

Guitar speakers are rated conservatively to deal with tube amps providing more watts when they break up, but a 25W speaker can only manage maybe 50 at most before it blows. And a 50W amp will probably go well beyond 50, more like 70-90 if you crank it.

EDIT 2: Never mind, I re checked the pic. Its a 16 ohm cab, youre safe on that front. But the speaker is very likely going to blow when you crank the amp.
Its a kaboom just waiting to happen.

I guess youre supposed to get two of those 112 cabs in a package rather than just one.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 14, 2012,
derp.

didn't see that coming.

fender should have though.

congrats, i thought channel 1 was decent as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

EDIT 2: Never mind, I re checked the pic. Its a 16 ohm cab, youre safe on that front. But the speaker is very likely going to blow when you crank the amp.
Its a kaboom just waiting to happen.

I guess youre supposed to get two of those 112 cabs in a package rather than just one.

I probably won't be cranking it anytime in the next year or so. I've only turned the volume knob up to 9 o'clock with the speaker being used. I went to 1 with the headphone jack.

I have the gold coverage warranty from MF, so we'll see if she holds up, if not I'll send her back.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Last edited by scott john at Feb 14, 2012,
I decided to call Fender and get the scoop. They told me it's actually rated at 60W and they've done extensive testing to make sure it was going to be okay. Apparently, Ed used the same setup in the studio for the album. I'm satisfied.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Nice. Is the shared EQ for channel 1 and 2 bugging you at all? Haven't managed to track one down yet but that seems like it would bug the shit out of me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Nice. Is the shared EQ for channel 1 and 2 bugging you at all? Haven't managed to track one down yet but that seems like it would bug the shit out of me.

Yeah, at lower volumes they're not compatible. I'll find out more this weekend when the wife and son go out of town.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats awesome. If they had made the 50 watter a normal size and had the gain shared on channels 2 and 3, i would've bought this straight away. HNAD
HNAD

Cool amp. I have not seen one to try yet but it is on my list.

I'm glad you contacted Fender to get the scoop. That is odd though wouldn't you say? What speaker does it have in it? Goofy Fender. So Ed's didn't blow up so it is OK for everyone else?

The new album sounds great though
A metal amp by Fender just seems so wrong don't you think? Not that that this is a bad thing by amy means. They've failed so miserably modifying their normal amps to produce any preamp distortion that didn't sound total crap. It's like the guys that designed the HRD didn't know what they were doing.
This is the way they should be doing it. Start with a design that works and have it vetted by somebody that understands distortion. I think these things are a step in the right direction. They should concentrate on the idea. Ones labelled Fender should be their clean amps EVH are their dirty amps. I approve. It would be playing to their strengths. Lets face it, if the HRD didn't try to have a dirt channel nobody would have a bad word to say about them. Drop the HRD, make Twins and EVH's. Sounds like a winning plan to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A metal amp by Fender just seems so wrong don't you think? Not that that this is a bad thing by amy means. They've failed so miserably modifying their normal amps to produce any preamp distortion that didn't sound total crap. It's like the guys that designed the HRD didn't know what they were doing.
This is the way they should be doing it. Start with a design that works and have it vetted by somebody that understands distortion. I think these things are a step in the right direction. They should concentrate on the idea. Ones labelled Fender should be their clean amps EVH are their dirty amps. I approve. It would be playing to their strengths. Lets face it, if the HRD didn't try to have a dirt channel nobody would have a bad word to say about them. Drop the HRD, make Twins and EVH's. Sounds like a winning plan to me.

yeah, makes perfect sense to me....i've been saying that since the 5153 was first announced which was what 3 or 4 years ago? I know Eddie went to Fender Custom Shop to have his Frankenstrat Relic made but I never would have guessed that Fender would have been the go to amp maker for his high gain sig amp after leaving Peavey.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, makes perfect sense to me....i've been saying that since the 5153 was first announced which was what 3 or 4 years ago? I know Eddie went to Fender Custom Shop to have his Frankenstrat Relic made but I never would have guessed that Fender would have been the go to amp maker for his high gain sig amp after leaving Peavey.

Yeah, a bit strange, but in the 80s he was using fender amps for a brief period live. I guess the experience stuck with him. To Cath, I am anxious to see what the machete sounds like in person, hopefully it is at least average, it would be nice to see fender successfully break into the metal world with a non-sig amp. oh, btw ts, HNAD! good looking amp
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Its So Cutee!!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm not holding my breath over the Machette. Any company that could unleash the HRD's dirt channel onto the world doesn't inspire confidence. I don't know how anybody at Fender could have listened to a HRD and thought, "yeah, that's the sound we want - irritating enough to hurt your teeth."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have a HRD and I really like it. But man...I can't listen to the overdrive channel for very long. With the gain super low it sounds kinda cool, but any higher and I'm like WUUUUUUUT
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have a HRD and I really like it. But man...I can't listen to the overdrive channel for very long. With the gain super low it sounds kinda cool, but any higher and I'm like WUUUUUUUT

Mod it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm not holding my breath over the Machette. Any company that could unleash the HRD's dirt channel onto the world doesn't inspire confidence. I don't know how anybody at Fender could have listened to a HRD and thought, "yeah, that's the sound we want - irritating enough to hurt your teeth."

Eh, I'll give em a mulligan on the HRD. I really am hoping for the machete, I'm not even looking for rectifier gain, just something along the lines of a peavey vtm, just enough gain to play some maiden. But, I have a feeling that it will end up much like the HRD, except without the saving grace of a good clean
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
Mod it.

Hopefully I can mod it into some money and buy a different amp O_o
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Hopefully I can mod it into some money and buy a different amp O_o

That is another viable plan, sure.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HNAD

Cool amp. I have not seen one to try yet but it is on my list.

I'm glad you contacted Fender to get the scoop. That is odd though wouldn't you say? What speaker does it have in it? Goofy Fender. So Ed's didn't blow up so it is OK for everyone else?

The new album sounds great though

Thanks, Celestion G12H 30W is the speaker. The guy at Fender told me they rate these conservatively, so it's actual rating is 60W. Wouldn't make much sense from a business stand point to send out a bunch of speaker that could blow out with the recommended amp. We'll see what happens.
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
I know this is marketed as a metal amp but are you able to get a passable blues tone from channel 1 or 2 then set channel 3 as your metal tone? Thanks!
Quote by scott john
Thanks, Celestion G12H 30W is the speaker. The guy at Fender told me they rate these conservatively, so it's actual rating is 60W. Wouldn't make much sense from a business stand point to send out a bunch of speaker that could blow out with the recommended amp. We'll see what happens.

sweet. i've been stressing about running mine alone with my 50 watter.
I'm guessing that there'l be some speaker breakup though, yes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok.. seeing this amp gave me a mild stiffy... i like the look of it and how everything is laid out .. never been crazy about white tolex though
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
^ it comes in black too.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm guessing that there'l be some speaker breakup though, yes?

probably if pushed too hard. i bet there is a sweet spot at a decent enough volume.
Quote by gregs1020
^ it comes in black too.

thz.. lol
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
White is the worst colour there is for a gigging muso. I see white amps and immediately think, "hmmm, haven't lugged many amps around to gigs in trucks much have we?"

White may look good new and be ok if kept in your home but do a few gigs and they start to look like crap real fast.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^custom head shell box with a lock

Quote by scott john

Interesting.

I had that G12H30 paired up with a Classic Lead 80 and my cab had a blended wattage of 55 watts. Both Dave at Avatar and Scott at Splawn said that I am just clearing the wattage threshold (safely) for a 50w amp.

Not saying you are wrong or will have a problem just throwing my scenario out there. Generally I would say that it sounds like a good choice for that amp tonally. They should have made a vertical 2x12
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 15, 2012,
Page 1 of 2