So yeah i've had an ibanez with a trem on for a while now and i'm pretty sure the nuts for locking it in at the headstock aren't really tightening that much (not locking it properly) because when i go to tighten them the allen key slips and won't tighten any more. After playing around a bit with the trem it goes stupidly out of tune which kind of tells me it's not locked properly.

I've replaced them and the same thing again the allen key slips and won't tighten any more.

TL.DR : Locking nuts won't tighten / allen keys slip.

so whats going wrong? is it me trying to tighten it too much or poor quality locking nuts?
sounds like you have the wrong allen wrench.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by roaddawg07
sounds like you have the wrong allen wrench.

i've been using the one that came with the guitar! :L
Quote by poppameth
Floyd style nuts and trems usually comes with multiple wrenches. Are you sure you have the correct one?

yeah.
Could be stripped threads then.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Could be stripped threads then.

More likely stripped heads in the cap screws.

OP, can you can a GOOD picture of the locking nut screws from the top. If the allen slips, it's likely that they are rounded out and you need new screws. Pretty minor problem.

It's also possible that you are rotating the inserts in the neck, and again that's a minor fix (Remove, wood glue, reinsert, wait...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
When you say the allen wrench slips.. do you mean the screw sits in place but the allen wrench can still spin? Or is the entire screw still spinning with the wrench?

You've either got stripped heads on the screws, in which you would replace them. They're cheap, don't worry.

Or the inserts are spinning like a previous poster mentioned.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
the screws themselves are staying in place and the allen key can move round, i pretty much figured it was stripped heads on the screws but the thing is i've already replace one set and it did the same pretty much straight away.
Sounds like you're tightening them down wayyyyyyyyy too hard then. Or you're using the wrong size key for the new screws , it shouldn't wiggle at all when you have the right wrench for that particular screw.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by bennej1
the screws themselves are staying in place and the allen key can move round, i pretty much figured it was stripped heads on the screws but the thing is i've already replace one set and it did the same pretty much straight away.

In order of likelihood, you're using the wrong size allen key, using FAR too much force, your replacements were pot metal junk, and/or your string blocks are grooved...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
if you've already replaced a set of screws and now are about to do so again, perhaps you should revise your methods of tightening and loosening the screws? make sure your wrench is a tight fit in the screw head, make sure that you stop when the screw resists, don't turn past that point. and make sure the wrench is in pristine shape, if it is rounded it could also wear down the screw head.