I am not going to flame or insult this genre of music at all, and I don't wish to start up any arguments or anything like that. I just want to be able to understand it better. Techno, along with Dubstep or whatever music relates those sort of things for some reason just seems a bit repetitive and unemotional. I hear cars drive by exploding with constant techno beats that don't change and I have to wonder why people like it so much. Whenever I hear techno or something of that sort I don't hate it or dislike it or anything...it's just more like I can't really feel anything listening to it. To me, music portrays feelings and emotions. But electronic music doesn't make me feel anything at all, and it's hard for me to sit in a car with somebody who loves blasting it from their speakers. I just want to hear opinions of this genre of music and how they feel about it as well.
I believe emotion in music is in the notes, not necessarily the player. But yes, a a lot of techno/dubstep is very repetitive, but sometimes there's songs that you do feel emotion behind it. But I feel like that genre is mostly for fun, not for really trying to share emotion through it.
It's like any genre - you have to wade through a pile of crap before you find nuggets of gold that are amazing. Just because the most commonly found examples of a genre are, for a lack of better terms, soulless doesn't mean that aren't large amounts of quality music in there. It'd be like me judging rock music after hearing only Nickleback and Creed.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
I'm not much into a regular techno or dubstep, but I'm a huge fan of Drum&Bass, especially the dark/heavy one, so I'll tell you how I see it.

This music is about physical feelings rather than "moving your soul". Its uncomplicated, yet powerful mechanical rhythm fits perfectly for a simple, repeatable activities like dancing or driving a car, while more distinctive music makes you fly away in your mind or melt in emotions. Beats like that give an injection of energy that makes the body wanna move - FEEL ALIVE!!!

Besides, I think that many people listen ONLY to very simple music like techno, pop, hip-hop etc. because they actually didn't develope hearing well enough to comprehend more complex sounds, like guitar solos for example. No offense.

Anyway it's just a matter of preference, so I suggest you to accept it and tolerate it

PS. D&B + Heavy/Death Metal = Unexplainable awesomeness
Last edited by coVal at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by Shellbullet34
I am not going to flame or insult this genre of music at all, and I don't wish to start up any arguments or anything like that. I just want to be able to understand it better.

Electronic has many subgenres, techno is one of them. Get your wiki-fu on and learn about it. Also you can use this too. It even has sound samples. http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ (read Tutorial first)

In my experience there's two main types of electronic music. (techno is too narrowed down to use so I just use electronic, it's the most broad term).

Clubbing oriented music focused on dancing and keeping the crowd moving and energized. It's usually more simple, has fairly simple rhythms.

Music oriented more towards listening. Generally more thought out and experimental, or more relaxed. There are often very interesting things going on just below the surface that you may not hear initially.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 14, 2012,
Im not one who will listen to a lot of dubstep/techno/other electronic genres on my own, but Ive been dragged along to quite a few shows and when played at a loud volume, its very enjoyable.
Quote by coVal

Besides, I think that many people listen ONLY to very simple music like techno, pop, hip-hop etc. because they actually didn't develope hearing well enough to comprehend more complex sounds, like guitar solos for example. No offense.

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read

TS, you're judging all electronic genres on dance based ones, which are more suited to get you to dance rather than provoke an emotional response from (not saying that can't happen)

Try listening to Boards of Canada, Stendeck, Aphex Twin, and BT
Trance can be quite emotional. More so than any braindance/idm imo. Though RDJ does have a way with melodies that makes my skin crawl, in a good way.

And the guitar solo comment is loltastic. You don't need to be able to comprehend scales and modes for a good solo to evoke feeling and emotion in you. I think the only type of guitar music that would actually turn people away for those reasons would be self indulgent shred wankery like Yngvie. And there are hard to digest acts in all music genres just the same. Autechre is just as difficult to the average person to enjoy as Yngvie.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 14, 2012,
Try Flim by Aphex Twin, then if you like that check out Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 1. Check out some dub techno like Rhythm and Sound. Christian Fennesz or Tim Hecker write very emotional sounding ambient stuff that falls into the broad category of electronic music. There are some newer acts like Baths that are almost emo-techno or something, also very good.
Pretty simple answer: drugs. But seriously, there are absolute gems in the genre that everyone could appreciate.
Music doesn't have to be moving and emotional. It can be purely fun, catchy, and nothing more.
There are all kinds of different music and there's plenty that isn't electronica that is meant for being fun.

Furthermore electronica doesn't have to lack emotion either. There's plenty that is much different.

There's no rule that says you need guitars or something to create emotion LOL.

I listen to some dubstep that isn't emotional or deep.
I listen to it because I think it sounds cool.
That's all there is to it.

But there are other kinds of electronica that I listen to because it's so relaxing and puts my mind at peace. It can stir up all kinds of emotions for me.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 11, 2012,