What would be a reasonable LEFT HANDED accoustic guitar for WELL under £200. I am not expecting perfection in this price range by any means, just an accoustic to use at uni.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
As long as it has no pick guard or cutaway, you could easily buy a right handed one and flip the strings and nut. Anyway, I don't actually know. But I hope I helped.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by Varkunus
What would be a reasonable LEFT HANDED accoustic guitar for WELL under £200. I am not expecting perfection in this price range by any means, just an accoustic to use at uni.
These people might be able to help you, and they're in the UK: http://www.lefthandbear.com/index.asp

Crafter also makes a number of left handed models: http://crafterguitar.co.uk/home.php

Takamine has several left handed models in your price range. Because of your location; I didn't fully refine this search: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=yamaha+fg720sl&oq=++FG720SL&aq=0c&aqi=g-c1g1g-v8&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=3319l9690l0l13020l2l2l0l0l0l0l167l167l0.1l1l0#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=IcL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&source=hp&q=takamine+left+handed+guitar&pbx=1&oq=Takamine+Left+hand&aq=1s&aqi=g1g-s1g2&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=0l0l1l2280l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f8012d30e4fee5e8&biw=974&bih=1731

Quote by GazzaCee
As long as it has no pick guard or cutaway, you could easily buy a right handed one and flip the strings and nut. Anyway, I don't actually know. But I hope I helped.
Well, no. The compensation that is built into the bridge saddle of almost all steel string guitars is pretty much a deal breaker. Besides, nowadays, it really isn't necessary to convert guitars from right handed. Now, once upon a time, it was indeed, a much different story.
Any ideas for ones with cutaways?
this any good? Its electro accoustic as well
yeah is that regarded as good. Specs look pretty good, has anyone played it?
Just thought, how would a epiphone dot be for playing unplugged (a student in flat). I don't have an amp with me at uni so how would it sound unplugged?
Quote by Varkunus
Just thought, how would a epiphone dot be for playing unplugged (a student in flat). I don't have an amp with me at uni so how would it sound unplugged?
Well, for a student in an apartment (*) setting, who wants to minimize the annoyance his mates, superb.

Semi-hollow guitars are intended to bring a hint of acoustic tonality to the mix, but they're really electric guitars, through and through.

For actual playing to amuse yourself, fairly thin, squeaky, and wretched. But, easier than a genuine acoustic to finger. If noise is an issue, you could always employ a sound hole plug.

Crafter makes this Taylor C-5 knock off left handed: http://craftereurope.com/prodinfo9771044/ Which has a peizo, (+ 1), but really still needs to be plugged in, (-1), and is way, way, over your budget, (-2)........

((*) Here in the "colonies north west", (USA), we call "flats", "apartments". Crazy, I know)))........
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 16, 2012,
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=08020713010638
Problem solved, you can strum your electric all night and noone will care.

I feel your pain for finding a lefty btw, my acoustic (that I got off my dad, who is also a lefty) was converted from right handed. Dont think he adjusted the bridge, but I dont notice intonation problems too much, especially if your strumming open chords.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=08020713010638
Problem solved, you can strum your electric all night and noone will care.

I feel your pain for finding a lefty btw, my acoustic (that I got off my dad, who is also a lefty) was converted from right handed. Dont think he adjusted the bridge, but I dont notice intonation problems too much, especially if your strumming open chords.

Your father was forced into this. Nowadays, us lefties have it much better. I can find more left handed guitars than I can possibly afford.

As to intonation, if you're strumming open chords, the reverse in the saddle won't affect you much, if at all. And most certainly, no one in the audience will be any the wiser.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Your father was forced into this. Nowadays, us lefties have it much better. I can find more left handed guitars than I can possibly afford.

As to intonation, if you're strumming open chords, the reverse in the saddle won't affect you much, if at all. And most certainly, no one in the audience will be any the wiser.

Yeah to be honest fining a lefty acoustic for 200 quid is no challenge, but you still cant afford to be picky. I wanted a Thin-neck, 14th fret neck join (like yamaha NTX) nylon string with a cutway in left handed and finding one wasnt easy. Most brands only offer one or two guitars out of their entire catalogue in left handed so you just have to compromise to what the manufacturers choose to make.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150
Yeah to be honest fining a lefty acoustic for 200 quid is no challenge, but you still cant afford to be picky. I wanted a Thin-neck, 14th fret neck join (like yamaha NTX) nylon string with a cutway in left handed and finding one wasnt easy. Most brands only offer one or two guitars out of their entire catalogue in left handed so you just have to compromise to what the manufacturers choose to make.
And at that, you have to be fast on the uptake, because they oftentimes get discontinued rather quictly.

I think the trick is to be fairly rich and left handed. Taylor and Martin both offer whole line left handed, at no extra charge.

That is if you're into those "off brands"....
Quote by Captaincranky

I think the trick is to be fairly rich

Oh right! Thats where I've been going wrong all these years ...
Whats the difference in sound between a dot and les paul plugged in? Much difference? Both seem pretty full bodied in sound
Quote by Varkunus
Whats the difference in sound between a dot and les paul plugged in? Much difference? Both seem pretty full bodied in sound
You know where the "Electric Guitar" forum is, don't ya?

This seems like the kind of question they'd revel in.

Besides, it seems that this thread has mutated out of, "Acoustic & Classical Guitar".

Unplugged, the Dot should be louder & "woodier" than a Les Paul.

Let's end on an existential note, "if you can't tell the difference between a Les Paul & an Epi "Dot" plugged in, does it really matter"?