I bought a strat body for a project and it came with a tremolo bridge. but the bridge didnt have any of the springs or anything underneath it. if i leave the bridge without the springs will it affect the guitar or should i get the springs for it? I wont be using the bridge for a whammy bar, just as a normal bridge.
It'll never hold the strings correctly . You either need the springs or you need to fasten the bridge down tight to the body or block the trem. What type is it? There are vintage ones that attach with 6 screws along the front edge and there are modern ones that pivot on two posts.
You'll need the springs. If you had a way of fastening the tremolo onto the body tight enough to fight off the tension from the strings, then you wouldn't need them, but that would be quite a task. Springs won't cost a whole lot, either, so just buy some and you'll be set.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
If you go to any music store that has ever had a guitar in it and ask for 3 springs you'll be out of there for less than $7 depending on tax. There's really no reason not to. You need the springs in there to counter the tension of the strings and keep the bridge flat against the body, regardless of whether or not you'll be using the whammy bar.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by poppameth
It'll never hold the strings correctly . You either need the springs or you need to fasten the bridge down tight to the body or block the trem. What type is it? There are vintage ones that attach with 6 screws along the front edge and there are modern ones that pivot on two posts.

Its one with the 6 screws along the front edge
So you have a vintage trem. Doesn't really change anything though. Springs are cheapest and easiest. You could drill the base plate toward the back of the bridge and screw it down if you want to make a hardtail out of it.