I'm looking for a 1x12 combo.. high-gain, all valve with good cleans. Preferrably quite light but 50w+ Any suggestions?

I tried the Mesa Express 5:50 but it's quite heavy and doesn't have as much gain as I thought it would have. Currently I'm using a Peavey XXX 2x12 which is really weighty.. and the cleans aren't great. It does have all the gain I could ever need though
Light weight but high wattage? Pod HD?

Anything close to 50 watts ain't gonna be light.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
An all-tube 1x12 combo amp like you describe and putting out around 50 watts is going to weigh at least 60-65 pounds. In a lot of cases more.

What are you wanting it to weigh?
Well, if you want it to be light, you could try something less powerful, like those 20w Jet City combos and replace the speaker with a neodymium model. Like a Jensen Tornado or something.

Other than that, lightweight doesn't really happen with tube amps.

^Well, if an Express wasn't gainy enough, a TH30 probably won't be, either...
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 14, 2012,
Simplest answer: don't get a combo.

Carvin V3M plus a lightweight (maybe neo magnet) 1x12 cab will kick ass. 50W, all valve, tons of gain and flexibility. Easier to transport than any 50W 1x12 combo could be.

or any lunchbox or mini amp.

Orange and Mesa have one
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700

+
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, if you want it to be light, you could try something less powerful, like those 20w Jet City combos and replace the speaker with a neodymium model. Like a Jensen Tornado or something.

Other than that, lightweight doesn't really happen with tube amps.

^Well, if an Express wasn't gainy enough, a TH30 probably won't be, either...

Good point i missed that.
Quote by CECamps
An all-tube 1x12 combo amp like you describe and putting out around 50 watts is going to weigh at least 60-65 pounds. In a lot of cases more.

What are you wanting it to weigh?

i dunno. i've seen them at around 45lbs (that's ~20kg, right?). but not much lighter than that, that's still fairly heavy.

but i'd agree with kyle, one of those lightweight heads + a 1x12 cab is probably the way to go to really keep the weight down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah thats the 5153 great amp!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
that + a 1x12 would be good though..
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by CECamps
That's a head.

DOH!

My reading comprehension sucks.
I think it's worth mentioning that weight in a tube amp does to an extent correlate to the quality of the amp. Transformers (the absolute most important part of a tube amp) generally follow the general rule of the bigger/heavier, the better. The transformers are the biggest contributor to the weight of an amp in most cases.
^ dude according to tgp the tubes are teh most important

man that thread was a head****. i didn't know if i was coming or going by the end of it.

EDIT: but yeah that's a good point regarding the weight.

i think i need to get my own valet or porter or something
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CECamps
I think it's worth mentioning that weight in a tube amp does to an extent correlate to the quality of the amp. Transformers (the absolute most important part of a tube amp) generally follow the general rule of the bigger/heavier, the better. The transformers are the biggest contributor to the weight of an amp in most cases.

Which is why the Mesa weighs so much.

I think your only option in this case is a head an a 1x12 or a 2x12
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not