Hey all. I just thought I'd share what I did with this guitar I won. It was gathering dust, as my Kramer is honestly better sounding, and I find black guitars really boring looking.

SO

I decided to paint it.

White krylon primer
Fluorescent Orange Rustoleum
Duplicolor Clear effex (2 cans)
Minwax Gloss Aerosol Lacquer (2 cans)

So far there's no clear coat, and I need to touch up a bad run on the back and then redo the metal flake stuff to match the rest, but I should be done painting this weekend, and then to sanding, buffing, polishing, and reassembly.

so PICS

The pictures make it seem really red for some reason. IT IS NOT. It is a super bright orange, and the color shifting flake is pretty obvious in direct light, and subtle and makes it look like a pearl finish in dark light. It's really awesome.

The headstock is matching too btw.

It's getting neon green pickups and knobs and switches as well

and a neon green ESP logo with a pink drop shadow (I will not try to pass this off as an ESP, I have left the LTD stuff on the back of the headstock. I just wanted a logo on the headstock, and figured why not.

yeah....it's going to be really fugly, in an awesome 80's way

BTW: got this idea from guitarmageddon on Jemsite
Last edited by Chad11491 at Feb 14, 2012,
Actually... That seems awesome. I've always wanted to but a super Strat style guitar and refinish it (with green yellow and red swirls) but I don't have the money at the moment
What color is the hardware? black would look cool as hell
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
I am doing a similar thing with an old washburn that I had as a starter guitar. I would love to see the finished product. I am contemplating how to paint it, but seeing as how this is my first paint and reassembly of a guitar I am sure it won't be anything too extravagant. I like the sparkle that you added and with the neon green pickups it screams 80's shred. best of luck!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
looks pretty decent, but I thought I''d give my side as a professional, it loos pretty decent, but just a couple things that could have been done better, you usually want to cover the cavity's, and the neck joint so that you don't get that excess layer of paint, it can sometimes have an effect when you put it back together. and you may have used a bit more paint than you needed to, put, other than that, it looks pretty good, nice and even with no definable streaks.
it's black chrome right now, but the only stuff going back on is the floyd and tuners. Eventually I will get a black OFR and tuners.

Quote by PatrickThalerMs
looks pretty decent, but I thought I''d give my side as a professional, it loos pretty decent, but just a couple things that could have been done better, you usually want to cover the cavity's, and the neck joint so that you don't get that excess layer of paint, it can sometimes have an effect when you put it back together. and you may have used a bit more paint than you needed to, put, other than that, it looks pretty good, nice and even with no definable streaks.

I covered the neck cavity and the floyd bushing holes with painter's tape, it just got so covered you can't see it

Thanks man!

Quote by bobafettacheese
I am doing a similar thing with an old washburn that I had as a starter guitar. I would love to see the finished product. I am contemplating how to paint it, but seeing as how this is my first paint and reassembly of a guitar I am sure it won't be anything too extravagant. I like the sparkle that you added and with the neon green pickups it screams 80's shred. best of luck!

This is also my first paint job, just take your time and it will turn out great! If you mess up, just let it dry, and wet sand smooth and re do it. good luck!
Last edited by Chad11491 at Feb 14, 2012,
Looks awesome!
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
TS, just to let you know, I heard somewhere that the Duplicolor clear isn't the best in terms of drying and recoat time. It takes a long time to dry properly. You may want to look into something else.
I pride myself on my humility.
That's what the minwax is for

I heard that too and decided to try minwax after many said (and showed) that it produced a good clear.

Btw, what is it that most use around here for clear coats if they use aerosols?
got all the clear coat and hardware now. Luckily all the green knobs and pickups match. However, the logo is a little darker, but oh well.

I found green foam padding that matches the hardware exactly, and replaced the black foam under the floyd with it. Maybe a little overkill, but it looks awesome.

the foam covers the black where the anchor things were taped off as well.

The pics don't show the flake at all since it's inside and rather dark. All that's left now is to sand smooth and buff/polish, then reassembly. Will post pics this weekend when It's done.
Looking forward to this one!!!! \m/

Gotta love ESP/LTD hehehe, and love the colors you chose there for the new hardware and the paint.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Impressed. Pretty cool axe man. 80's hair bands rejoice.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
hey i like the colors on your ibane......oh

Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED