So I am getting into recording more and more and I really enjoy it BUT I am now recording a song with about 8 tracks and my computer really starts to lack so I was thinking of a RAM upgrade.
I have a few questions involving this.
- I currently have 2 used slots with 512 mb, 1 with 1 gb and one empty slot. I've heard somewhere that you have to try and fill all the slots with the same amount of RAM is that true? cause if that's not the case I will just put one extra 2 gb card in it.
- Is there a difference in kinds of RAM? I know I have ddr2 but I was on a onlineshop and there were DDR2, DDR2 ECC and DDR SODIMM. Does it matter which kind you buy and if so how do I find out which one I have to buy?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Yes your pc will only run of 1 kind of RAM and the best way to find out what kind yours is is either by: It might say in your system setting, Not sure tho because i use mac. You could google your pc make and model and it will have a list of specs or just take out a stick of RAM from your pc as it will have it written on the stick.
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
So I am getting into recording more and more and I really enjoy it BUT I am now recording a song with about 8 tracks and my computer really starts to lack so I was thinking of a RAM upgrade.
I have a few questions involving this.
- I currently have 2 used slots with 512 mb, 1 with 1 gb and one empty slot. I've heard somewhere that you have to try and fill all the slots with the same amount of RAM is that true? cause if that's not the case I will just put one extra 2 gb card in it.
- Is there a difference in kinds of RAM? I know I have ddr2 but I was on a onlineshop and there were DDR2, DDR2 ECC and DDR SODIMM. Does it matter which kind you buy and if so how do I find out which one I have to buy?

Yes, it works best if you use the same amount of RAM as you had before, its not vital but it waill help you. Also you HAVE to use the same kind of RAM other wise it flat out wont work. hope this helps
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
find the model number of your computer and just google the RAM upgrade. if its a built computer just google your motherboard and see what it accepts. you have to make sure you get the right speed of DDR2. Also, make sure that your not buying useless memory. Computers have a maximum amount of RAM they can use, so also just use google to find out your max.
Well, I just looked it up on the Hp site and it states it uses DDR2 SDram but I've looked for it but various shops don't sell those.
Do you guys think it would be okay if I just bought ''normal'' DDR2 instead?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by Jabels225
find the model number of your computer and just google the RAM upgrade. if its a built computer just google your motherboard and see what it accepts. you have to make sure you get the right speed of DDR2. Also, make sure that your not buying useless memory. Computers have a maximum amount of RAM they can use, so also just use google to find out your max.

Max is usually determined by os. So, if he's running xp he should probably be able to handle at least 4 gbs. If he's running 7 then i think it can handle like 64 gbs. I'm not sure about vistas limit.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
Max is usually determined by os. So, if he's running xp he should probably be able to handle at least 4 gbs. If he's running 7 then i think it can handle like 64 gbs. I'm not sure about vistas limit.

My limit is 4 GB because I apparantly have a 32-bit system.

Never knew it was al so complicated
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
My limit is 4 GB because I apparantly have a 32-bit system.

Never knew it was al so complicated

I mean, it's not that it's complicated, you're just new to it. It gets easier. One of the reasons I know as much as I do is because I threw myself into it and built my own computer for gaming.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
yeah I guess your right, takes time for everything to learn but Do you know the anwser to this question?

Quote by niels-uiterwaal
Well, I just looked it up on the Hp site and it states it uses DDR2 SDram but I've looked for it but various shops don't sell those.
Do you guys think it would be okay if I just bought ''normal'' DDR2 instead?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
^ since its hp, probably not. their computers generally use proprietary parts. i recently had a long struggle with my recording rig b/c i got an hp a couple years ago and recently decided to upgrade the cpu (which meant i upgraded the mobo, ram, fans etc just to make the stupid cpu work)
You can add different amounts of RAM as long as the type is compatible. Also, there's different bus speeds for each RAM type. So your pc will run it at the slowest speed installed. It's best to match up the same bus speed for all of your RAM. Your OS will determine the maximum, but the motherboard will do so as well. Find the spec sheet for that specific model. I just upgraded my laptop from 6gig to 8gig of RAM. There's really not a notable difference in those levels for me right now, but it only cost around $25 for the RAM. Your CPU is just as, if not more than important than RAM. I've got a 2.4 core i5, but I wish I would've held out and got an i7. Hope any of this helps.
It's still not really clear to me, but my computer needs DDR2 SDRAM is that the same as DDR2?
Since shops don't have specific DDR2 SDRAM it confuses the crap out of me.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
It's still not really clear to me, but my computer needs DDR2 SDRAM is that the same as DDR2?
Since shops don't have specific DDR2 SDRAM it confuses the crap out of me.

That's the standard stuff. 'SDRAM' is just the name it answers to on formal occasions.

What's the exact model of your PC? I'll check out what your motherboard supports and give you some suggestions.

Bear in mind you'll need to be running a 64 bit version of windows to address more than around 3GB of RAM.
Model is a6240.
I'm using the 32-bit version of Vista but the HP site states that I can use up to 4GB ram.

Thanks for taking time.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant