I found a smoking good deal on one of these locally. It was a trade in, and I was shocked to see it in the shop. I've played guitar since '97 and have never seen one around here. It looks brand new. The sales guy said "some brat's mom bought it as Christmas gift online and then traded it in because he was pissed because it wasn't a 7 string." It does not have active pup's, and I am fine with that. It is the amber burst with SD pups. After test driving it through a Peavey Classic 30 I am in love with it. It goes from clean to dirty really easily and I am sure it will work well with my little bands set list. Played like butter.

So a few questions for those of you more experienced with ESP gear... Like I said, nobody around here has any of their stuff.
1. How are the electronics, pots, wiring and stuff? I like the pups, just worried about other stuff I might need to change later.
2. Anybody have any tuner issues with these?
3. Has anyone had one of these that was an absolute stinker? Like a warped neck or anything?
4. Here is the big one... How do these compare to the Gibby faded series? Have never played one, but if I am spending the money I am going to look at all my options. How would it compare to the Epi Joe Bonamassa LP? I am interested in one of those too.
Ibanez SR1200E
1. I'm guessing its fine. Not the best, but it'll do the job if you look after the electronics.

2. I wouldn't think so. Locking tuners are a nice thing to have

3. Not sure. 1000 series LTD's are pretty nice guitars, so its unlikely to be the case.

4. Hard to say because they're aimed for a different kind of player. One thing that is objective is that Gibsons hold their value a lot better than LTD's do. I'm not a huge fan of faded guitars. With Gibsons, because there are so many variations between each guitar as a lot of the processes in making them are done by hand, trying one before buying is a must.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 14, 2012,
I've had mine for about 2 years now and I can say say that it is an amazing guitar. I bought it new and it came right out of the box ready to go. I love the pickups, mine are the EMGs, I love the finish, the neck feels great, and I have never had any tuning issues. In the past i have had a gibson faded sg an ibanez xyphos and a fender strat. This guitar has outlasted them all. There might be some out there that are a big fan of the LTD series and would say that the EMG line is much better, but IMO I have no complaints and I believe that it is a great guitar.
I would pick this guitar way before the epiphones or gibsons. I love gibsons but they are way overpriced.
Best of luck!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I nearly bought an LTD EC1000 but i didn't because there were guitars i liked the sound of anf feel of more for a similar amount of money. I ended up getting a Gibson Flying V standard in the end. The particular one i tried just sounded and played better to me.

I think EC1000's are overpriced. They're £200 more than a 401 and the only differences are locking tuners, a bridge that you screw in and a bit of abalone on the fingerboard.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 14, 2012,
I would say stay away from the lower end Gibsons. They tend to be made very quickly and lack the craftmanship you want in an expensive guitar. I found that the LTD's i have played are of better quality than cheaper Gibsons i have played. My next guitar is going to be a LTD EC-1000 silverburst and IMO i like them much better. I would rather pay above $1000 and buy the actual ESP Eclipse if im going to spend the kind of money that a gibson would cost.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I pretty much only play ltds or ESPs. I have owned some Jacksons as well, but ESPs are my fav.

I am confident you will have no problems with it. Comparing it to a gibson is a bit difficult as someone mentioned. I am pretty sure the neck profiles are completely different.

I will say I have never had tuning issues. My LTD f -100fm has their stock tuners and even they kick ass.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sold on it. I've been wanting an LP'ish guitar for awhile again, but, in all honesty, I have not had good luck with Gibson and Epiphone. I had an Epi LP before (see sig), but I just wasn't "feeling it." I have had the opportunity to play various Gibby LP's and SG's, but wasn't satisfied with many of them. So I began to believe that an LP type guitar was not right for me. This one might change that a bit. I'm going to think it over a bit and see if they still have it.
Ibanez SR1200E
EC-1000s are solid gig/recording worthy instruments, as are the whole 1000 series. I had the exact model you're looking at (with the JB/59 set) and it was pretty awesome. The stock pots are Alphas and the switch/jack are switchcraft, so all nice stuff. I wouldn't worry about the electronics.

As for being better than a Studio/Faded... you really can't compare that. They're intended for different players and they feel totally different to each other. I'd say they're about equal in quality.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think EC1000's are overpriced. They're £200 more than a 401 and the only differences are locking tuners, a bridge that you screw in and a bit of abalone on the fingerboard.

The necks are different on them, the 1000 is a bit wider and a bit meatier to the feel. Also the back of the EC1000 is shaped a bit differently. But I agree with you, I'd rather have a 401 than I would a 1000 as I'm tired of abalone
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by pachap
I found a smoking good deal on one of these locally. It was a trade in, and I was shocked to see it in the shop. I've played guitar since '97 and have never seen one around here. It looks brand new. The sales guy said "some brat's mom bought it as Christmas gift online and then traded it in because he was pissed because it wasn't a 7 string." It does not have active pup's, and I am fine with that. It is the amber burst with SD pups. After test driving it through a Peavey Classic 30 I am in love with it. It goes from clean to dirty really easily and I am sure it will work well with my little bands set list. Played like butter.

So a few questions for those of you more experienced with ESP gear... Like I said, nobody around here has any of their stuff.
1. How are the electronics, pots, wiring and stuff? I like the pups, just worried about other stuff I might need to change later.
3. Has anyone had one of these that was an absolute stinker? Like a warped neck or anything?
4. Here is the big one... How do these compare to the Gibby faded series? Have never played one, but if I am spending the money I am going to look at all my options. How would it compare to the Epi Joe Bonamassa LP? I am interested in one of those too.

1) electronics are fine
2) no tuning issues and mine stays in tune
3) Mine is perfect. I'm so impressed with LTD's necks and frets I will buy another.
4) Dunno, never played a Gibby faded

The ONLY thing bad about mine is it's not flashy enough(single bound, etc) but I have the gold top version w/ SD's. You have the amber quilt one with abalone all over so its pretty blingy.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Well, just my luck, but it is gone from the store. I called today this morning to ask if they could hold it until I could get down there this afternoon and they said they had sold it yesterday evening.

I bet one of you morons bought it If so, happy NGD.

I believe I am going to take the 2 hr drive to my nearest GC and see if they have any used EC 407's. If I am interpreting the ESP website right, the only difference is that the 1000 has more blingy binding and inlay, pups are the same.
Ibanez SR1200E

I think the electronics themselves are fine, however with mine I find the knobs tend to start coming loose sometimes and I have to tighten them. This is after a couple years of solid gigging and throwing it around though.

Not at all. I love the tuners on these. Locking tuners are always a nice thing to have

These are popular guitars for metal/metalcore around here so I see tons of people playing them and have never heard a horror story like that.

This one I can't really answer. I'm going to assume they're probably quite similar maybe a bit better than the Gibby faded but I can't be too sure. I've only played a few of the faded series and I'd say quit a bit of that decision would come down to personal preference.

All in all, they're great guitars and if you have a good deal on one you might as well snatch it up!

EDIT-oops. an hour late i supposed. I should read the whole thread next time
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
You know you can call the store and find out, instead of wasting 4 hours on the road
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
You know you can call the store and find out, instead of wasting 4 hours on the road

That is called a "road trip", not wasting 4 hrs But yeah, I am going to call.

My biggest + on this guitar is the pups. I had the same set in a Mexi-Strat once. They were really nice. Good bluesy sounds when they are clean, can get some good crunch. I'm not into EMG's, don't play much metal / metalcore stuff, except for some Metallica and Megadeth. The pups suit me really well.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by pachap

I believe I am going to take the 2 hr drive to my nearest GC and see if they have any used EC 407's. If I am interpreting the ESP website right, the only difference is that the 1000 has more blingy binding and inlay, pups are the same.

So you know there are more differences between the 2, LTD's are weird like that, they are all over the place in options.

EC-1000 FM
24.75 scale
Mahogany neck
42mm nut
ESP locking tuners
SD pickups

EC-407
25.5 scale
Maple neck
48mm nut
Grover tuners
EMG pickups

Sooo.. as you can see, there is quite a bit difference

If you're trying to save money, you can get a used EC-401 VF though its a full thickness body without cutout contours but most everything else is close enough to the 1000 you looked at. Also a used EC-400 is a great buy, full thickness LP copy with SD pickups for $300-400 used... definitely worth it.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
This guitar has outlasted them all. There might be some out there that are a big fan of the LTD series and would say that the EMG line is much better, but IMO I have no complaints and I believe that it is a great guitar.(Invalid img)
All I can say is I've never seen a 1000, 1001 or 600-series LTD that has been particularly flawed, and I know of several bands who have record albums and toured the world many times with LTD 1000s and 600s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MR fibble : good point , that sum it up . the 1000 series ( and 600 ) are professionnal guitar ( if we can say so ) . good hardware , great finish , great playability . but its built in series in korea .. if you dont care about that .. you got yourself a great guitar .

i cant find anything wrong with an EC-1000 , mh-1000 etc.. it has nothing to do with the cheaper 50-100-200 series made in indenosia . everything is different .

if you go in the 600-1000 series of Ltd , they are wonderful guitar * .

and im now g.a.s.-ing for the new ec-1000 metallica gold sunburst .

amazing guitar .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by i3oosted
So you know there are more differences between the 2, LTD's are weird like that, they are all over the place in options.

EC-1000 FM
24.75 scale
Mahogany neck
42mm nut
ESP locking tuners
SD pickups

EC-407
25.5 scale
Maple neck
48mm nut
Grover tuners
EMG pickups

Sooo.. as you can see, there is quite a bit difference

If you're trying to save money, you can get a used EC-401 VF though its a full thickness body without cutout contours but most everything else is close enough to the 1000 you looked at. Also a used EC-400 is a great buy, full thickness LP copy with SD pickups for $300-400 used... definitely worth it.

/facepalm on me

I got really puzzled at your post and then looked again... I misread something on the website. I am considering a new 401, not the 407. If they have a good deal on a used EC 1000, I'll go that route.
Ibanez SR1200E