Can anyone please suggest a headphone,mostly for rock/metal? Under $100 and I dont give a shit about looks, I just want quality and reasonably comfortable.

I have heard great things about grados.......

Also, if there are any suggestions for headphones which would help me isolate instruments better. If any headphone can fulfill both requirements....that would be really ideal.....though expensive I guess...

Currently I'm thinking of going for Sennheiser HD 438.....I'll probably need and amp for that if I'm not mistaken....

Thanks
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

?

Dont like cats........
Quote by SlinkyBlue

You're pretty much set as long as you go Sennheiser. Amazing quality. I can't comment on that model you posted, but the HD280 Pro's are amazingly clear and in the ~$100 range. Nicely flat frequency response as well. I know a good number of people on these forums own them and are extremely happy with them.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by Highelf04
Sony MDR-V500

I use them for my Music Tech degree
About £50

So you're suggesting instrument separation is good??? I'd assume that's why you use em for the degree.....
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by RPGoof
You're pretty much set as long as you go Sennheiser. Amazing quality. I can't comment on that model you posted, but the HD280 Pro's are amazing and in the ~$100 range

What I mostly hear is that Sennheisers are kinda all rounders.....

And Grados are great for rock...dunno about their deal in metal.....

Any major positives or negatives of the 280s????
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by sage76
What I mostly hear is that Sennheisers are kinda all rounders.....

And Grados are great for rock...dunno about their deal in metal.....

Any major positives or negatives of the 280s????

I added to my previous post, but I'll elaborate anyways.

What I think the HD280s excel at is the flat frequency response. The frequency range is wider than most headphones, and it produces everything on the same level, for the most part. It is worth mentioning the bass response is not as "boomy" as most headphones tend to be, but with proper EQing these ****ers can rattle your skull, if you wish. This flat response also allows things to come out of the music that were previously hidden by the coloration of the speakers or headphones, so it does aid in clarity. It also appeals to those who wish to hear the music in it's true form, not colored by the speakers or headphones that boost certain frequencies and take away from others.

Also, they're extremely clear. I've been using them mostly for music, but I of course mix all my music with them, and they've been nothing short of great.

They can fold up in a variety of ways for easy storage and portability (despite being big cans in the first place) if that tickles your fancy as well.

However, the HD280 Pro's are CLOSED BACK. This means no sound escapes the headphones. This is good for some, but open back models (like the HD555) tend to have a more natural tone to them, but you can also hear the music from outside the headphones, and they do not cancel any outside noise.

I listen to a huge range of music with these 'phones and I've been nothing short of happy with them. If you want more comments on them, I know at least 6 of the frequent posters in the Drug Thread own them, and they vary from EDM producers to casual listners.

Regardless of what model Sennheiser you buy, they're all extremely durable and have user-replaceable parts, if you really need to.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 14, 2012,
AKG K121studio

i use it for everything. simple listening, recording, even took it on vacation to plug it into my mp3player. not to expensive and it's pretty good
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by RPGoof
I added to my previous post, but I'll elaborate anyways.

What I think the HD280s excel at is the flat frequency response. The frequency range is wider than most headphones, and it produces everything on the same level, for the most part. It is worth mentioning the bass response is not as "boomy" as most headphones tend to be, but with proper EQing these ****ers can rattle your skull, if you wish. This flat response also allows things to come out of the music that were previously hidden by the coloration of the speakers or headphones, so it does aid in clarity. It also appeals to those who wish to hear the music in it's true form, not colored by the speakers or headphones that boost certain frequencies and take away from others.

Also, they're extremely clear. I've been using them mostly for music, but I of course mix all my music with them, and they've been nothing short of great.

They can fold up in a variety of ways for easy storage and portability (despite being big cans in the first place) if that tickles your fancy as well.

However, the HD280 Pro's are CLOSED BACK. This means no sound escapes the headphones. This is good for some, but open back models (like the HD555) tend to have a more natural tone to them, but you can also hear the music from outside the headphones, and they do not cancel any outside noise.

I listen to a huge range of music with these 'phones and I've been nothing short of happy with them. If you want more comments on them, I know at least 6 of the frequent posters in the Drug Thread own them, and they vary from EDM producers to casual listners.

Regardless of what model Sennheiser you buy, they're all extremely durable and have user-replaceable parts, if you really need to.

Yeah I want good clarity as I will probably use them to learn some songs...I would go for the 555s but too out of my financial range right now.....

Thanks a ton for the post.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by WesCThomp
Anything by Skull Candy. They are amazing.

Lol, noob.

Klipsch and Sennheiser are both great, although I like Klipsch a bit more. I've got a pair of their Image S4 earbuds, and they're probably the best ones I've ever had.

Not really sure about their full-sized cans, though.
Quote by sage76
Yeah I want good clarity as I will probably use them to learn some songs...I would go for the 555s but too out of my financial range right now.....

Thanks a ton for the post.

Do you have $40? Then take my rec!
I have used and only used (my first headphones, for producing) Bob Marley Revolutions. They provide good bass, and at first feel alittle tight but you get used to it/ they loosen up abit. I produce electronic music but I somtimes use them to listen to all kinds of music and if your looking for something cheap that still does the job theyre for you. 120$
any earphones $30 or under ? i'm not going for anything too expensive and high quality because i'm not that much of an audiophile but the sound has to be good and not too distorted

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Thanks for the responses...

Any particular headphones with great soundstage and around my budget??? I heard of Fisher Audio FA-011 but they are made in Russia.......
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Get Sennheisers. They're honestly some of the best-quality headphones I've ever used.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
I should just put this in my sig

Seinnheiser HD 280 Pros for $99 at Zzounds
Best headphones ever.
Anything made by Sennheiser. Just managed to find some CX500s to replace my CX870s for £20 on eBay, bargain!
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by sage76
So you're suggesting instrument separation is good??? I'd assume that's why you use em for the degree.....

When did I mention instrument separation?
Sennheiser or Grado, you can't go wrong with either. I had some Sennheiser phones for years until they broke, and now I've got Grados (had them for a year and a half or so). Both are fantastic and seem to be well-reviewed.
Quote by sage76
dunno about their deal in metal.....

Just buy shit cans. If you think metal is good music, I'm sure you won't notice the difference.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Just buy shit cans. If you think metal is good music, I'm sure you won't notice the difference.

That was uncalled for.

OT: Sennheiser HD280s are a great choice.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Feb 14, 2012,
being an audiophile, i can say that the ath-ad700 is your best choice for overall use.

the 555s use practically the same drive head as the 595s, so if you get them, open them up and remove the foam that sennheiser have glued on the inside. im really not sure what these do, apart from dampen bass and treble. that being said the 555s are discontinued and the 558s are a vast improvement over them.

that is unless you want closed. i can assure you that almost all closed headsets/phones under 100 are muddy and shit. don't do it.

as far as the rest of this thread goes, skull candies are overpriced shit. the AKG K121studio is over 100, muddy and uncomfortable. the HD280 aren't really noise cancelling, just closed. also it has sloppy bass and shit highs, nothing better than a 201 lol. not to mention the awful comfort levels. and those sony's, once again, flat with the bass and mids. also uncomfortable.

the akg 520s or ath m50s are good choices to. yes i have used all of these. that being said the prices may have changed, i used a store discount to get them. check amazon?
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Feb 14, 2012,