Hello, i'm sorry if many of you have seen this posted a few times i did do a search but didn't quite find the right answer.

Anyway i'm new to the acoustic, (new year) and have got the basic chords but when reading tabs/chords i get so confused about the strumming pattern, even if i am confident knowing the song the strumming is hard for me to pick up on.

Is there a way of knowing the strumming pattern from the chords with out necessarily listening to the music?

Thankyou
Practice, that's about it.

Rhythm guitar is all about mimicking what you hear.

Basic rhythms are written down somewhere, but most of what you hear on the radio, is stylized by each performer.

Good solid rhythm guitar work isn't as easy as it's made to sound. There's a ton of dynamics, stroke direction, and timing involved. It does gets easier, keep at it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 14, 2012,
Exactly right. Learning chords fluently was actually easier for me than strumming coherently. I still struggle with certain patterns. It seems like it's the easiest thing in the world, but like anything else, it takes work to master.
Just do it your own way as long as it sounds good. Nobody listens to rhythm guitar that closely. Listen to some Rolling Stones- does it sound tight/planned/right at all times?

Actually, if it's something like Wonderwall you really need to do it right, but you shouldn't be playing that song anyway, so I recomend just going for it your own way. You'll enjoy it more, and probably stick around longer. You're not playing guitar hero now- there's not really a need to mimic exactly unless you really want to.
Dude, where's my band?
I played for about 2 years before deciding to take lessons. The first thing my teacher noticed was that my strumming needed work. That was about 2 months ago, and ever since i've found playing is getting much easier.

The internet is great for all sorts of help and tabs that focus on your fretting hand, but 99% of them give little or no reference to the strumming pattern, which is equally as important. Unfortunately most of the time when you're self teaching you'll have to listen to the song to pick up the strum pattern.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by TomMon
Just do it your own way as long as it sounds good. Nobody listens to rhythm guitar that closely. Listen to some Rolling Stones- does it sound tight/planned/right at all times?

Actually, if it's something like Wonderwall you really need to do it right, but you shouldn't be playing that song anyway, so I recomend just going for it your own way. You'll enjoy it more, and probably stick around longer. You're not playing guitar hero now- there's not really a need to mimic exactly unless you really want to.

that's pretty bad advice. beginners going "their own way" will almost always be the same as going "the easy way" which will not help them in the long run. proper strumming for me was the difference between really focusing on what my hands were doing and being able to just play without really thinking about it.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.