So I just wanna discuss my ways of coming up with a song with you guys, maybe we can relate or differentiate but I love my way.
So I normally start by just playin away... anything, a lead, a rhythm section and 9/10 times I wont get anything out of it but a good time. Rarely do I start off with something in my head already and try to spit it out. And actually maybe I pull stuff out of any of the 9/10 jams and will save it in my head and add it to a song im working on, that technique can be a saving grace if im trying to come up with a part. But my best songs always tend to come together at once in about 10 minutes, and usually im with a drummer. Anyways... I guess you guys should check out Swell of Vibes on my page. That is a good example of a song that just came together. The opening riff I came up with by myself and then once I brought it to my drummer we ran through the opening riff and the rest of the song took off first time through and its perfect... meant to be, said and done. How does that happen? This point im bringing up right now is what made me want to start this thread? I didnt have a concious idea of where I wanted to take that song, these types of songs happen so fast and my hands just move to the right place at the right time, and it sounds awesome! I want to know where that comes from!?!? haha. Anyways, take it away guys
I hear stuff in my head and i write it down. I rarely can come up with anything just playing around. I get something from the sky, and then i write it down. I continue to tweak it for a while, but thats the basis for getting a song going
The way it goes for me is similar. Typically I will just be playing along and hit a few notes that sound good. I will build a guitar part around that and store that in my memory to pull out later. Eventually I will put together a few that I think work and that usually makes up for the intro, verse, and chorus of a song (a rough skeleton, at least).

If I am having trouble finishing it I bring it to the band and we add new parts.

At least point, we would have a full song written mostly or entirely by me. From there we play it a whole bunch together and add harmonies, rhythmic changes, and other embellishments until we get something we really like. That process is pretty much ongoing. The other night we tweaked one of our oldest songs based on a suggestion from our singer.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
I get random pieces of riffs, melodies, progressions or lyrics that i come up with from time to time and write/record them so I don't forget. Then eventually a few bits seem to fit together and so I sit down and give it a bit of work. At that point there's usually a lot of trial and error going on, I might draw on some ideas from theory or I might just hit random things and see how it works. Generally it takes a couple of hours solid work to come out with a solid product, which then gets refined gradually I guess
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
I get random pieces of riffs, melodies, progressions or lyrics that i come up with from time to time and write/record them so I don't forget.

I used to record on my laptop too, I loved doing that and listening to it through and editing and adding and stuff, then my nice $1000 macbook broke :/
something will insipre me to think of something a melody or chord progresssion or even a bassline and ill play it and develop it adding other instruments as i see fit

but since i can usually only play guitar and little keyboard and dont have the means to record it (yet) i usually just try to arrange it for one guitar and keep the full arrnagement somehwere
in case i need it

if im writing for the band ill ususally have the whole song written and show it to them if they like it we work on lyrics or adding or removing parts for whatever reason usually nothing is changed though haha
Last edited by supersac at Feb 14, 2012,
Oh i also do this. It is something that i learned from youtube (i think) but i don't remember quite exactly.
Well, listen for rhythm in nature. Usually someone talking. When i hear something that stands out, i take it, turn the emphasis into rhythm, then add the notes from my head onto that rhythm.
For example, someone says something like "give me the birthday cake" pronouncing it like "Give-me-the birthday-cake) adding certain emphasis on each syllable, which i then turn into rhythm. This could become a rhythm for a song in a 4/4, and it might be something like this:
quarter note, quarter note, eighth note triplet, quarter note.
With this, I add whatever notes and harmonies in my head. This isn't a particularly complex rhythm, but there is an unlimited amount of melodies you can create with just this rhythm. I use this technique because, personally, i think rhythm is much more important than note choice, and it is also one of the harder things to really get once who have the notes already. By working with the rhythm first, you already have half the song, and the notes will just fall into place depending on you emotional state of creation
Quote by macashmack
Oh i also do this. It is something that i learned from youtube (i think) but i don't remember quite exactly.
Well, listen for rhythm in nature. Usually someone talking. When i hear something that stands out, i take it, turn the emphasis into rhythm, then add the notes from my head onto that rhythm.
For example, someone says something like "give me the birthday cake" pronouncing it like "Give-me-the birthday-cake) adding certain emphasis on each syllable, which i then turn into rhythm. This could become a rhythm for a song in a 4/4, and it might be something like this:
quarter note, quarter note, eighth note triplet, quarter note.
With this, I add whatever notes and harmonies in my head. This isn't a particularly complex rhythm, but there is an unlimited amount of melodies you can create with just this rhythm. I use this technique because, personally, i think rhythm is much more important than note choice, and it is also one of the harder things to really get once who have the notes already. By working with the rhythm first, you already have half the song, and the notes will just fall into place depending on you emotional state of creation

Dude this is so awesome. The one thing i've been focusing on lately is my rhythm, no joke, this is an excellent tool. Good job!
I start out just strumming some simple songs I already know, then I occasionally change up the chords and see if I can work with anything.
I fell in love with the girl at the rock show. <3
I love you Z!
i hear it in my head, and then i play it/write it down (if it's for more than one instrument).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.