Page 1 of 3
I'm in a four-man rock band: a lead guitarist/singer (Elliot), a bassist, a rhythm guitarist (me), and a drummer. Elliot has a HUGE ego and always wants everything done HIS way (lead singer syndrome, basically). He didn't want me recording on the upcoming album, wants to write all the songs without accepting ANY help (so he gets all the rights), wants to copyright our albums under HIS name instead of the band's, and doesn't listen to anyones suggestions. The only reason I stay in the band is because everyone in the band is EXTREMELY good, especially for our age (we're all teenagers), easily the best musicians of our age in the city. But recently, Elliot was talking to my girlfriend in school and told her that I don't contribute to the band at all (even though I still contribute more than the bassist and drummer), that I'm useless for anything other than playing live (basically to make HIM look better), and that the only reason he hasn't kicked me out yet is because we have a bunch of shows booked (which I booked, btw), and he doesn't feel like finding a new rhythm guitarist and teaching him all of the songs. I know my gf isn't lying about what Elliot said because I've been dating her for over a year and I trust her with my life. Also, she'd have no reason to make it up anyways. So basically, I'm in one of the best bands in the entire city with a lot of connections and a bright future, but the singer/lead guitarist uses me to make himself look better. I've tried reasoning with him to be more fair on multiple occasions, but nothings worked. I also dont really have any other bands to go to. What should I do?
Rape them, anally.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Kick him out.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you have an unhealthy relationship with your bandmates, your band is going to suffer.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
the only way out is suicide.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 14, 2012,
If you dont really care much about the bassist and drummer, cancel the shows you booked and quit the band. What do they think about Elliot (ugliest name ever btw)
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Rape them, anally.

I think what he meant is talk it over with the other members of the band, and if they all side with you. then rape em
Leave.
Or kick out the singer obv
Last edited by Polar13 at Feb 14, 2012,
Bang his mom. Jk.

In all seriousness, talk with the other band members and see what they think. Then just take it from there. If they're also unhappy, maybe even find another lead guitarist and start another band.
Kick him out
Mutiny against your singer! (make him walk the plank)

Na but seriously that dude has a problem, talk to ur other band mates and see that they think about it
I'd see what the bass player and drummer think; if they dont like him, kick him. If they do, don't cancel the shows, but just don't turn up. Elliot will have to just deal with it, and look like a prick. The other two - likewise, for associating with and supporting him.

Its dirty but thats how i work and thats what i'd do.
Find a way to kick out the singer, talk about it with the rest of your band. Singers aren't that rare.
- - - - - - - - - - -
In a similar situation, except the one with the huge ego is the drummer (i know right?) and he is probably the stupidest person I know and a horrible songwriter. he doesn't understand time signatures (seriously, how can you be a drummer and not know what a time signature is?), and doesn't know any music theory, i'm not even sure if he knows what a note is

as a result, the band is horrible. he seems to think it's the best thing since sliced bread though

dgaf really, i dont plan on doing anything with that band anyway.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
threaten to quit, and tell them you will if you dont get any credibility which you deserve, and if they dont change their ways, they dont deserve you, so quit, and when they come back begging, refuse them
Ok so let me get this straight.

Your lead singer:

1) Wants everything done his way without any input from anyone else in the band.
2) Expects YOU to write songs, and then let him steal them and put them under his name.
3) Yet he doesn't want you to play on the album.

Obviously you should not do this. If you do, that'd be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You can't be the only one seeing this happen if there's other members in the band, so they must hate him too. My advice is to kick the dippy motherf*cker out and find a new singer.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Talk to the other two guys and ask them about the "elliot" fellow to see if you share the same opinion, if they do complete the shows (with elliot) you booked and then kick him out. ON THE BASIS THE MAJORITY OF THE BAND AGREES. You've got no leverage otherwise.

If they don't share the same opinion (about kicking Elliot out) inform the other two that Elliot is being a dick and is trying to kick you out (giving them the reasons you mentioned) and see if they will back you up on this.

Hope this helps.
What are your other band mates like? If you're so good but have an asshole singer, can't the rest of you just go together and find another one?
Start a djent project and **** him in the ass. DO IT.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Kick him out. Seriously. Find a new singer. I don't give a shit how good he is, he sounds like an uber-douche.
PSN - Boosted928
Temporarily leave and let him feel the effects of being a douchebag.

Also, if you're a teenager and you trust your girlfriend with your life, you're either extremely lucky or need to focus on your priorities.

Yeah, I read the whole thing >.>
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Have you spoken to him about it? If he doesn't know you guys have a problem with it, then he won't know to stop. Or, you could alternatively talk about how much of a shit Axl Rose was to G'n'R in front of him, get him to agree, and just be all "Yeah, I hate people who try to use a band for their own gain while not letting others contribute..."

I hate people like this in bands, yet I can't help feeling like I am one myself, because all musical 'decisions' go by me first (not by choice, but the only song that didn't, everyone hated playing) and I have to ask constantly if I'm being too bossy. They keep telling me that they'll say something if I start being a bastard, so we're cool.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Kick him out.

This. Talk to the other two, and kick his sorry ass out the door. If you needed to come to the Pit for this, there are bigger problems.
Set the band on fire.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Bend over, take the abuse and let him steal your girl...even though he TOTALLY doesn't want her.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by cfhdomination
Question for TS: Is he related to Axl Rose?

Was thinking the exact same thing!

TS make sure you have the whole story straitened out before you bring anything up with your band, if you bring stuff like this to them and don't explain things properly you can easily be viewed the exact same way as every one else.

Not to discredit your girl because from the singers personality it seems more then likely to be the case, it's just a slippery slope.

Remember he does vocals and lead guitar for the band so if you boot him you may have to replace 2 people.
Quote by cfhdomination
Question for TS: Is he related to Axl Rose?

Exactly what I thought when I was reading his post. In all seriousness, either the other guys in the band are going to side with you or they are going to side with him. Talk to them to see where they stand. Be prepared to walk or kick him out and know that the gigs you have booked are probably going to be cancelled.

As far as recording goes... if you're not on any of the recordings then you really don't have a leg to stand on if he records all of the guitar parts, unless you were the one to come up with the parts. I wouldn't let him take credit for your parts if you wrote them or came up with them. If he wrote all the parts and you're just playing the stuff he taught you, then again, you don't have a leg to stand on if he records all the parts himself. In regards to the other members, if he records all of the drums and bass himself, then same situation. I have a hard time believing that he wrote all the drum, bass, and guitar parts for all of your band's songs, so I certainly wouldn't let him record them under his name and take credit for all of the parts of the song.
Quote by Burgery
In a similar situation, except the one with the huge ego is the drummer (i know right?) and he is probably the stupidest person I know and a horrible songwriter. he doesn't understand time signatures (seriously, how can you be a drummer and not know what a time signature is?), and doesn't know any music theory, i'm not even sure if he knows what a note is

as a result, the band is horrible. he seems to think it's the best thing since sliced bread though

dgaf really, i dont plan on doing anything with that band anyway.

Hey, i too am a drummer, drummers are not all stupid. I learn everybody else's parts, including the bass and guitar (both instruments i also play) so i can understand the music i'm playing with my band. I also study music theory to an advanced level and am the only person in the band who writes songs.

Drummers are not all jackasses, and they are not all stupid.

I know that isnt what you were implying but too many people slag off drummers and it pisses me off tbf
Make him kick your dog, kick him out of the band, get replacement, make it big
He will never move past it and limply reach out to religion to get some form of vain validation

So yeah, everyone wins
tell him his butthole smells funny, then when he checks pee on the other guy's bass

and blame it on him, your bassist will believe you because elliot will have his finger in his ass
Quote by DarknessFTW
Hey, i too am a drummer, drummers are not all stupid. I learn everybody else's parts, including the bass and guitar (both instruments i also play) so i can understand the music i'm playing with my band. I also study music theory to an advanced level and am the only person in the band who writes songs.

Drummers are not all jackasses, and they are not all stupid.

I know that isnt what you were implying but too many people slag off drummers and it pisses me off tbf

Wasn't implying that at all.

although, come on, bassists are just in the way
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Like others have said...Talk it over with the "other" members and go from there with the goal of kicking him to the curb!

BUT...If they are all on his side....

Then cancel those shows and leave the band NOW!!!...cancel the shows first! You have to screw them over before leaving!

Anyone with that bad of an Ego isnt going to go far...Only a teenager and already ruining his luck as a Local Musician...Word gets around of Douchbags in your local music scene and people will avoid him. I've seen an Adult Ego Prick Guitarist get ran out of a town because no one wanted him, he moved to Denver and people found out and ruined his name there aswell!

Pricks dont Prosper!
Page 1 of 3