Page 1 of 2
Yes, it's that time of year. It's a high school cliche, much as it is tradition. I think it'd be a really great experience for my band and me to have. We've all agreed that a cover would be best, since our metalcore/thrash isn't for most people.

Problem is, none of us know what people actually like to hear. I mean really, how hard could it be, right? Well, it's actually very hard for us to decide.

So what should we play? We have a singer/rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist (me), bassist, and drummer. Nothing special really. The song should ideally: be popular enough for teenagers to identify, not be too cliche, be in the more aggressive styles of music, not be so hard that we're too busy playing it right instead of putting on a show, and lastly, appeal to a wide variety of people.

Thanks.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Sublime?
Santeria or Badfish is always fun to do. Gets people boppin

EDIT: You want aggressive? Do Date Rape.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Or sum 41 stuff.

If your singer can sing, that is.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I Cum Blood.

It's easy to appeal to the people who will be there - turn on the radio and go to a "popular" music station and find an alt. rock song that you know people like.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by edgeyyz
I Cum Blood.

NEVER gets old.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
NEVER gets old.

I know. But I would love to cover it at a talent show, BOTB, etc. just to see people's reactions.
Wolf Mother maybe? None of their new stuff though.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by edgeyyz
I know. But I would love to cover it at a talent show, BOTB, etc. just to see people's reactions.

Keep mentioning that song name and you could be seeing FOTB and not BOTB.

Unless the rules on that song name aren't as strict as they were when I was first here a few years ago.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Unless the rules on that song name aren't as strict as they were when I was first here a few years ago.

I've never heard of it being a problem, and it is relevant.
maybe something by blink-182
some stuff off the new album is pretty easy and pretty populat
As long as you play the song well without harsh vocals then most people will like it...it's a talent show.
EDIT:
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Pussy.
Last edited by stratdud39 at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by MrStrat9999
maybe something by blink-182
some stuff off the new album is pretty easy and pretty populat

he wants something more aggressive though.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by RR3tran
Problem is, none of us know what people actually like to hear.

Play what you love. Anything else won't have your heart in it.
Trying to find the time to go from a guitar owner back to being a guitar player after 9 years, 1 wife, and 3 kids. Have to wear guitar headphones so I don't wake the kids. Being an adult is fun, huh?
Van Halen is always rocking! Not "Hot For Teacher", though You could play some of their original stuff everyone knows or something off their new album, both could ROCK! You mentioned you like to play thrash and hardcore music, so maybe some Metallica? "For Whom The Bell Tolls" could work, as could "Seek and Destroy". I think all of the kids at your school should know who Metallica is
Strung Out? They've got some great fast, aggressive punk songs that are pretty easy to play.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Can't go wrong with The Middle by Jimmy Eat World if you ask me. Its pretty basic, but has a fun solo to play in there and everyone loves the song.
This is going to sound stupid and make me look bad but just play what you would normally play. Don't have the businessman "play whatever appeals to a mass audience" attitude. You'd be a more interesting act if you were yourself. Another thing; high school talent shows don't usually have much impact anyway, and if it's after school there will probably be low turnout.
Quote by theogonia777

+1000 to you sir

Quote by slipknot5678
This is going to sound stupid and make me look bad but just play what you would normally play. Don't have the businessman "play whatever appeals to a mass audience" attitude. You'd be a more interesting act if you were yourself. Another thing; high school talent shows don't usually have much impact anyway, and if it's after school there will probably be low turnout.

Yeah yeah, be yourself and everybody will love it! Well we don't know who we are yet. I love all kinds of music, even though I play mostly metal. My band, while we have a few of our own songs and do covers, haven't established a musical direction. We're teenagers. And trust me, the talent show is definitely a big deal around here. It's during school so all kinds of people will be there.

It's probably going to be Seek and Destroy at this point. Also considering Beast and the Harlot, Raining Blood, Wherever I May Roam, and Bark at the Moon.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES,
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

Bitches love that shit.
Crazy Train, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Nightmare(by Avenged), BYOB, or someone said the Middle by Jimmy Eat World.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by RR3tran
+1000 to you sir

Yeah yeah, be yourself and everybody will love it! Well we don't know who we are yet. I love all kinds of music, even though I play mostly metal. My band, while we have a few of our own songs and do covers, haven't established a musical direction. We're teenagers. And trust me, the talent show is definitely a big deal around here. It's during school so all kinds of people will be there.

It's probably going to be Seek and Destroy at this point. Also considering Beast and the Harlot, Raining Blood, Wherever I May Roam, and Bark at the Moon.

I didn't say everybody would love it.

But yeah, that's fine. I'd personally choose Beast and the Harlot out of those options.
Bar favorites ftw.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Page 1 of 2