Hi, I am a total POD newbie, I have a little experience with a Pocket POD (I actually have one but have hardly used it), but want to get a full sized one (not sure on a bean or Live).

Basically I'm in an apartment with paper walls and have decided to get rid of my amp since I could never use it. I do a lot of recording and jamming along with my computer (and have headphones), so I thought it would be a good idea to get a POD. In the future I'll get a cab for it rather than an amp. So basically it's a POD that 90% of the time I'll be leaving it hooked up to computer for recording/jamming, but want the capability to play with a cab.

Also I have nice $200 earbuds, I know IEMs aren't the best for this, but I don't have that big of a budget, would those earbuds (they are Ultimate Ears 700 with noise isolation and dual armature) with a 3.5mm > 1/4" adapter be better than say buying $50-100 headphones?

Can I record through USB and listen to the earphones at the same time? Would there be a delay or any quality degradation if I simply used the earphones on my computer rather than directly through the pod?

Also what kind of pod would be best, a Live with pedals or a bean? Would the X3, XT, 2.0 and Desktop HD accomplish what I need? What are the differences between them. From what I understand the Desktop POD doesn't really have many advantages to justify it's cost over the older ones.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I'd say an X3 Live/HD series would be best. And don't even think about using those earbuds. Earbuds are absolutely useless. I'd say get a set of Sennheiser HD201s, they're pretty cheap but great for playing along to stuff. If you're wanting to record to backing tracks, downloading Reaper (it's essentially freeware) and leaving your POD hooked up via USB then plugging your headphones into your computer would be your best bet.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Put the headphones in the POD out spot when recording. It records with no latency, and your pod acts as a sound source so you can play back what you heard through your pod (your computer "sees" it as a mic AND speaker).

I have the POD XT, but if you want to be able to change effects while playing, you either need a Live or a pedal thing that they sell to go with PODs.
Quote by Twistedrock
I'd say an X3 Live/HD series would be best. And don't even think about using those earbuds. Earbuds are absolutely useless. I'd say get a set of Sennheiser HD201s, they're pretty cheap but great for playing along to stuff. If you're wanting to record to backing tracks, downloading Reaper (it's essentially freeware) and leaving your POD hooked up via USB then plugging your headphones into your computer would be your best bet.

Thanks! If I have a Live, can I still control it on my PC through software, or is it hardware only?
Quote by DZ302
Thanks! If I have a Live, can I still control it on my PC through software, or is it hardware only?

Ya, all the "Live" versions of the PODs act the same way as the desktop ones just with the addition of more control for live use. I accually have my POD X3 Live on my Desk lol...sucker takes up some space but right now im using the Gearbox software to work on Patches etc and for Recording tracks etc.