I've been writing for a while now, at least twenty years, and have gotten really good at writing simple, straightforward lyrics. However, I need to start writing better lyrics--like abstract ones. This is an example of 'better':
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/all+american+rejects/i+for+you_20993955.html
(Sorry about the cell phone pop up, please just x it out so you can read the lyrics).
I think this song is so beautifully written, and I wrote it up for my friend alongside a song I wrote (I didn't tell her which one I wrote) and she liked this one better because it was more 'abstract'. I know the guy who writes it says his song writing process starts with a lot of drugs and alcohol. I'd rather not do that...
Does anyone have any advice? I'm really disappointed with myself right now and feel like my whole life is a waste...just saying haha
*In the link, the tenth line is wrong. It's 'You're a sinner but the devil even turned you down*
Last edited by smartypantsmile at Feb 14, 2012,
Don't take everything too literally and think outside the box. Try to be descriptive ("Fragile words like these will cut your tongue", Fragile like glass. "And every slow-lit cigarette that nervous hands can barely get the courage", descriptive). I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but it works for me.
PSN - Boosted928
Metaphors, similes, personification and so on, contrast and yeah
think outside the box
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?