Anyone know any good resources to learn about cool and interesting progressions and piecing them together?

The extent of my progression knowledge is using chords based off the Major or minor scale I am in: C major D min Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amaj Dim for example

And then writing boring progressions using these 7 (more like 6...dont use diminshed very much).

I get you can make them all 7th chords , etc but it still sounds kinda mundane. Any thoughts on how to 'look' at chords different such as parallel keys and such?
Check the music theory link in my sig. It's a good start.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/chord-progressions-t40.html?sid=94c61e2bf254bba1287ec77e17c361c8

That link will show tons of awesome chord progressions. Most of them are outside the basic diatonic structure but the info shows you how to tie it all together, so you'll learn tons but you'll also get to use what you know.
A chord progression is a series of chords. Usually the progression consists of two, three, or four chords. In this in-depth chord progression lesson, many common progressions will be covered. You will also learn how to create a chord progression in different keys by learning chord theory.
check out ted greenes modern chord progressions...that should keep you busy for a few years

wolf
Borrowed Chords:

Take chords from the parallel minor key.
For example, in C major, you can borrow and chord from C minor.

And get C am Fm G.
Or C F am Bb

Altered Chords:

Changing one of the chord degrees by a semitone to see what you can get.
Again in C.

That B D F diminished chord can decome B D F# (B minor)
Or Bb D F (Bb Major - which is also borrowed!)

You can get augmented chords this way.
G B D - Would get you G B D#

Or dimished chords
F A C - F# A C

There's so many options here for altered chords, you can pick a note in the chord and # or b it and see what new chord you get.

Extended Chords:

Like you say, add the 7th.
And the 9th, 11th and 13th.

Remember too that with all the extensions, you can alter.
b7
b9

Etc.

Hope that helps
Quote by dvm25
Anyone know any good resources to learn about cool and interesting progressions and piecing them together?

The extent of my progression knowledge is using chords based off the Major or minor scale I am in: C major D min Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amaj Dim for example

And then writing boring progressions using these 7 (more like 6...dont use diminshed very much).

I get you can make them all 7th chords , etc but it still sounds kinda mundane. Any thoughts on how to 'look' at chords different such as parallel keys and such?

Learn about chord function. Play, listen to, memorize common chord progressions and learn to hear the function of each chord. Start simple, and don't be too cool to spend some quality time there.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Learn about chord function. Play, listen to, memorize common chord progressions and learn to hear the function of each chord. Start simple, and don't be too cool to spend some quality time there.

this
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Greg Trotter
You can try adding Neapolitan chords in a cadence.
For example, try Cm, Fm, Db/F(the Neapolitan chord in this case), G7, Cm

The guy can't use 7th chords, and you want him to use chromatic harmony?