Well musician's friend sold the last Silver Creek Guitar before I could get it. I was thinking of recording king. so this is my "cart":

Guardian Cases CG-020-D Acoustic Guitar Case
Planet Waves Thumb Picks, Large, 5 Pack
Jim Dunlop 83_52553 Guitar Tools (capo)
Martin MSP4100 SP Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light
Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup
Recording King RD-10 Classic Series All Solid Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
Behringer ADI21 V-Tone Acoustic

So 2 Questions: Can I trust Amazon? and Is this less than average equipment or decent equipment?
1) As far as my experience goes, Amazon is fine.
2) Research each piece of kit individually, rather than just giving us a massive list and asking if it's good or not. I like Martin guitar strings, the Dunlop capo is probably legit, same for the picks. Beyond that I don't really know
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Amazon is fine to do business with. But, I usually just buy CDs from them, and not really them, the dealers in the "Amazon Marketplace".

For specialty items, I buy at specialty stores. So, currently, I have accounts with zZounds, Musician's Friend, and Adirondack Guitar. All fine, upstanding, class A, suppliers!

However, I bought a high end HP Computer monitor from Amazon, (24" IPS), and all went perfectly.

I did spring for UPS ground on that piece, as opposed to their free, "Super Saver Shipping".

If you wanted your list checked out, you might have met us halfway by hot linking the items.

Everything on your list is of reputable quality. Not everything is what I would have chosen. But quite simply, that would be a matter of taste only. Who knows if I would be making better or worse choices....

Is there a reason why you're going with a sound hole pickup instead of an AE guitar, with built in electronics? The hole sound hole pickup concept is a bit less than optimum.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Amazon is fine to do business with. But, I usually just buy CDs from them, and not really them, the dealers in the "Amazon Marketplace".

For specialty items, I buy at specialty stores. So, currently, I have accounts with zZounds, Musician's Friend, and Adirondack Guitar. All fine, upstanding, class A, suppliers!

However, I bought a high end HP Computer monitor from Amazon, (24" IPS), and all went perfectly.

I did spring for UPS ground on that piece, as opposed to their free, "Super Saver Shipping".

If you wanted your list checked out, you might have met us halfway by hot linking the items.

Everything on your list is of reputable quality. Not everything is what I would have chosen. But quite simply, that would be a matter of taste only. Who knows if I would be making better or worse choices....

Is there a reason why you're going with a sound hole pickup instead of an AE guitar, with built in electronics? The hole sound hole pickup concept is a bit less than optimum.

Less noise, less quack then a piezo, lacks eq but can be fixed with the behringer adi21. The price for an acoustic electric, all solid wood guitar is high (i've seen 1000+), while this is $440 including the behringer adi21. Actually the things I wanted opinion on are: Recording King RD-10, Martin 80/20 Strings, and the Seymour Duncan Humbucker soundhole pickup.
I picked up a nice Ibanez AE for $200 and it has built in Ibanez EQ
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Less noise, less quack then a piezo, lacks eq but can be fixed with the behringer adi21. The price for an acoustic electric, all solid wood guitar is high (i've seen 1000+), while this is $440 including the behringer adi21. Actually the things I wanted opinion on are: Recording King RD-10, Martin 80/20 Strings, and the Seymour Duncan Humbucker soundhole pickup.
Well perhaps, but the cords to sound hole pickups tend to be a bit microphonic, so they have to be nailed down pretty well.

The direct alternative to the Seymore Duncan would be this Dean Markley: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dean-markley-pro-mag-grand-acoustic-guitar-pickup I'm guessing they're virtually interchangeable.

Patticake always recommends Recording King guitars. She says they have a sound similar to Martin. Patticake likes guitars with a slightly heavy bottom. I've never held a left handed version, so I recuse myself.

As to strings I'm one of those conformist zombies that buy D'Addario EXPs in phosphor bronze.

I personally would only use 80/20 brass on a guitar I consider too dull. A matter of taste.

As to the Berhinger, it's basically a DI box with EQ. They're claiming it is to enhance performance for piezo pickups. Don't know what it might sound like with a humbucker. Mag sound hole pickup tend to sound more electric than peizo. I really haven't head all the sonic deviance that piezos are supposed to color the sound with, but my guitars have onboard preamps w/EQ
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by Viban
I picked up a nice Ibanez AE for $200 and it has built in Ibanez EQ

Most ibanez's are laminated while this is solid body and I don't like lower-end ibanez as they tend to sound tinny, I don't like the over-flashy look either, or the woods used.
Oddly, it seems as though you already have fixed answers to the questions you've been asking.

That said, Amazon's never screwed up anything on me. You have your mind made up, go for it.

I will say Amazon is a lt less "folksy" than the online music stores. You can't call them up and talk to a real person.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 15, 2012,
it was used, I think it was like 500 new. but its not overly flashy, its black and has some cool soundhole detailing.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well perhaps, but the cords to sound hole pickups tend to be a bit microphonic, so they have to be nailed down pretty well.

The direct alternative to the Seymore Duncan would be this Dean Markley: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dean-markley-pro-mag-grand-acoustic-guitar-pickup I'm guessing they're virtually interchangeable.

As to strings I'm one of those conformist zombies that buy D'Addario EXPs in phosphor bronze.

I personally would only use 80/20 brass on a guitar I consider too dull. A matter of taste.

As to the Berhinger, it's basically a DI box with EQ. They're claiming it is to enhance performance for piezo pickups. Don't know what it might sound like with a humbucker. Mag sound hole pickup tend to sound more electric than peizo. I really haven't head all the sonic deviance that piezos are supposed to color the sound with, but my guitars have onboard preamps w/EQ

I was thinking about that dean markley, but being an electric player i decided to play it safe and go with SD. That being said, how does the dean markley compare with the seymour duncan? Also when I played a Larrivee it did sound too dull, but the strings were old. What do the "D'Addario EXP's in phospor bronze" sound like? I'm only getting the behringer for a DI box with an EQ so I'm okay with that. I've played it with a piezo on a larrivee and it sounds more quacky if anything, makes piezo's sound like crap. EQ=need for soundhole pickups and the DI box is just a plus
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I was thinking about that dean markley, but being an electric player i decided to play it safe and go with SD. That being said, how does the dean markley compare with the seymour duncan?
Dunno, not a clue. But DiMarzio makes a couple of pickups for those who are of truly of the electric persuasion: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=dimarzio+sound+hole+pickup Truth to tell, I don't care for Dean Markley strings, so I would have gone with the SD also.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Also when I played a Larrivee it did sound too dull, but the strings were old. What do the "D'Addario EXP's in phospor bronze" sound like?
That's not a question, it's a conundrum.

As a general rule any 80/20 "brass string", is brighter than its brand counterpart Phosphor Bronze mix.

It really is a matter of taste. Bright, or more mellow, it's up to the player. You might want bright strings on a guitar you're going to record with, and yet prefer PB for day to day use of the same instrument. String sets are not exactly a permanent part of a guitar. I expect you'll try a few different sets over the years.

Recording King guitars are supposed to be mellow and bassy, so you might be making the right alloy choice.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Dunno, not a clue. But DiMarzio makes a couple of pickups for those who are of truly of the electric persuasion: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=dimarzio+sound+hole+pickup Truth to tell, I don't care for Dean Markley strings, so I would have gone with the SD also.

As a general rule any 80/20 "brass string", is brighter than its brand counterpart Phosphor Bronze mix.

It really is a matter of taste. Bright, or more mellow, it's up to the player. You might want bright strings on a guitar you're going to record with, and yet prefer PB for day to day use of the same instrument. String sets are not exactly a permanent part of a guitar. I expect you'll try a few different sets over the years.

Recording King guitars are supposed to be mellow and bassy, so you might be making the right alloy choice.
there is period in that sentence. also I found Ernie ball earth wood 80/20 bronze string have a pretty long life and sound pretty good throughout it, plus they have a very nice versatile tone to them.
Quote by Viban
there is period in that sentence.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

Accordingly, and take note here, most manuals of English style emphasize very strenuously, the first letter of every sentence must be capitalized.

Quote by Viban
also I found Ernie ball earth wood 80/20 bronze string have a pretty long life and sound pretty good throughout it, plus they have a very nice versatile tone to them.
I do get the string review
I did, in point of fact, miss a comma after,"rule".

You could have lost this segment of my quote,
Since without the TS's corresponding quote segment for reference, there's no context, period. (Oh wait, there's the period....)!
perhaps we should just end this little war before one of us gets in trouble?