So i have joined a new band recently and i realized my distortion on my guitar sounds almost like my amp is working to hard. it sounds almost like its thudding. maybe im overdriving it... but anyways... the distortion on the amp doesnt sound metalcore enough in my opinion. I have tried playing around with the bass treble and mid but whenever i mess around with it... its always too much bass so it thuds, too much treble which makes my notes not loud enough... and my mid is usually low so i can get a more heavy sound. Maybe its my guitar... I really just need some help. maybe i should get a pedal... i would just like some suggestions at least.
Line 6 spider 4 120, epiphone less paul looking guitar, i think the pickups are like standard issued stuff. no pedals.
What's your kind of setup, what amp do you use?
I assume the metalcore sound your looking for is that tight and compressed sound similar to bands like Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive etc...
Killswitch use pedals and stuff but Parkway and allot of other core bands go hrough amps such as the Peavy 5150.
What guitar do you use/what tuning/pickups?
METAL!
Im using drop B but i find myself going back to drop D alot. I have 11 gauge strings. I want more of a motionless in white tone. killswitch i guess would be good, but i want like loud brutal full chugs.
The problem lies in the amp and I'm willing to bet money that the pick ups in a $115 les paul looking guitar aren't helping the situation.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Yeah, its going to be tough to get a goog tone out of that gear but start here.

Red Channel Insane
3/4 red gain and Drive
High Bass,mid @ noon, Treble @ 2 oclock

Guitar volume and tone knobs all the way up. (Thats the best your gonna get with that setup sorry)
nooo...
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
On an amp with as much gain on tap as the spider it's often good to pull back a bit, after a certain point adding more gain only adds noise and mush instead of chunk. Surjer's suggestion sounds like a good starting point as he says, although I'd probably run the bass lower, the mids higher and maybe start with the gain at 50% and slowly work up from there till it's sounding like you want
Neither the amp nor the guitar will give you decent tone, for metalcore or anything else.

Before buying a 7 string, consider buying an amp as well as a new guitar. Depending on your budget I'm sure people here can give you suggestions.

But on topic, I really don't think it is possible to get anything close to a decent metalcore tone with your current gear.

What people tend to do with Spiders is crank the distortion dial more than they should. That is because it fizzes up the tone of the amp (which is crap) and so supposedly doesn't sound as bad.

What you should be doing is using as little gain as possible and let the tone of the amp carry it. On my 6505+ I only have the gain on 2, but then I do use a Tube Screamer.
Quote by Random3
What you should be doing is using as little gain as possible...

I'm not sure I'd agree totally, although I do think many people use too much. I would say use as much as you can get away with. I see a lot of guys on the gig circuit that seem to have taken UG's "Less gain! MOAR MIDS!!!" advice to the point where their tone is limp, honky and lacks any kind of sparkle or punch. It' a delicate balance and can be tricky to get right. TS, you'll probably find you need to do most of your tweaking at rehearsals because a tone that's great in your bedroom often just won't work in a band situation.
Quote by Waylanderau
I'm not sure I'd agree totally, although I do think many people use too much. I would say use as much as you can get away with. I see a lot of guys on the gig circuit that seem to have taken UG's "Less gain! MOAR MIDS!!!" advice to the point where their tone is limp, honky and lacks any kind of sparkle or punch. It' a delicate balance and can be tricky to get right. TS, you'll probably find you need to do most of your tweaking at rehearsals because a tone that's great in your bedroom often just won't work in a band situation.

Well yes, if you use too much gain you get horrible fizzyness and if you use too little your tone will be thin and weak. It's a case of finding somewhere between, what surprises most people is that it is less than they would expect.
What you need is a new rig.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.