The CAGED system is a method learning basic major and minor chords and arpeggios based on the open chords in standard tuning, which are C, A, G, E, and D.
If you play the barre chord F, you will notice that you are actually using the E shape as if the 1st fret was the nut. If you slide up the same shape to the 5th fret you will be playing A but still using the E shape. This applies to all the open chords: C, A, G, E, and D as the name CAGED suggests. Using any shapes of the open chords, as long as you keep the shape the same, you can move the root around and play different chords using the same shape. B and F aren't applied as CAGED chords because they already are played by using the A shape at the 2nd fret and the E shape at the 1st fret respectfully.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Quote by cccp2006
If you play the barre chord F, you will notice that you are actually using the E shape as if the 1st fret was the nut. If you slide up the same shape to the 5th fret you will be playing A but still using the E shape. This applies to all the open chords: C, A, G, E, and D as the name CAGED suggests. Using any shapes of the open chords, as long as you keep the shape the same, you can move the root around and play different chords using the same shape. B and F aren't applied as CAGED chords because they already are played by using the A shape at the 2nd fret and the E shape at the 1st fret respectfully.

Lol I knew all this stuff but I never knew that's what was called the CAGED System...
And it's just when I was starting to wonder what IS the CAGED System? xD
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Start on an open C chord. The root note is on the A string 3rd fret and the first fret B string.

Now, to find the next C major chord on the neck, you go to an A shape barre chord because it's the CAGED system.

So an A shape barre chord for C major would be the third fret A string. The root notes are on the 3rd fret A string and the 5th fret G string.

So the next shaped would be a G shape because that's the next letter of the CAGED system. The next chord starts on the root note of the G string here.

Then an E shape barre chord on the 8th fret. Then it will be a D shape barre chord. The next will be exactly an octave up from an open C. So it'll be a C shape barre chord.

It has other uses, but I mainly use it to find chords on the next. The example I have shown gives you all the places on the neck you can play a C major barre chord. If you want to find everywhere you can play an A major chord, you just do exactly as described for the C just starting on A. So the next shape will be a G shape barre chord.

Hope that helps.