Page 1 of 2
I heard that playing a Fender Guitar through a Fender Amp is a stigmata and should never be done. I'm upgrading my gear and using mostly Fender Guitars, and I'm looking into a variety of amps. So I was wondering if anyone had any evidence that would give creedence to the "Do not mix Fender Guitars and Fender Amps" saying.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Who the **** ever told you that?
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
they sound good together. saying that they shouldnt be used together is stupid.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I've always heard the exact opposite: that Fender guitars sound best through Fender amps. It's probably a marketing ploy, but honestly a nice guitar is going to sound good through a nice amp no matter what.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
It's a saying I picked up playing in clubs in Erie PA, several years ago. I always questioned it, but never tested it out. Looks like it's a bunk urban legend then.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
It's true. Using a Fender guitar through a Fender amp is blood pouring from your hands. That's why Hendrix used Marshalls live--when he used Fender amps people would run screaming from the stage, looking for a phone to call an ambulance. But man, that tone is totally worth it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It's true. Using a Fender guitar through a Fender amp is blood pouring from your hands. That's why Hendrix used Marshalls live--when he used Fender amps people would run screaming from the stage, looking for a phone to call an ambulance. But man, that tone is totally worth it.

You do realize hendrix record with champs and princetons?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You do realize hendrix record with champs and princetons?

You do realize he was... joking? Not to mention the qualification of using Marshalls LIVE.

But on that note, OP, there are many many many many bands and artists who use Fender guitars with Fender amps. Too many to name here. Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, and Jimi are three people off the top of my head.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 15, 2012,
Hang on ....

/goes plugs in Fender Strat into Fender Twin Reverb.

Nope, sounds great.

Oops, just realized in is 11:39 pm local time and just woke up the wife ... might be something to that saying, she doesn't sound pretty at all yelling at me like this.
Let's see. Hank Marvin, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Kurt Cobain, Ted Nugent, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Fogerty.
Nah, nobody of note there I guess.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It only makes sense that a company would purposely make one of their products incompatible with another...you know, so that people will buy one but never the other. Makes perfect sense from a business standpoint, not to mention the lattice that is created by two fender products being used at one creates too many electrons, which, in turn, causes tone boosting (instead of sucking). The key here is that too much of a good thing is a bad thing, which makes your tone so good that it's bad.

The bottom line? Do coke, it's good for your soul.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Humbuckers sound sensational through a Bassman, especially if you Marshall it up a bit by replacing V1 with a 12AX7.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Humbuckers sound sensational through a Bassman, especially if you Marshall it up a bit by replacing V1 with a 12AX7.

it came stock with a 12AX7...unfortunately mine hates my Les Paul lol, sucker gets farty when cranked with the Bass even lowered, but it sounds really smooth with my strat. Play my Les Paul more so its kinda depressing. If i jump it then it handles it well as long as i work the volume knob etc to clean it up sense it breaks up alot sooner that way.

what it really needs is a Tele, but i'd have to make my wife turn tricks perhaps to afford it.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
it came stock with a 12AX7...unfortunately mine hates my Les Paul lol, sucker gets farty when cranked with the Bass even lowered, but it sounds really smooth with my strat. Play my Les Paul more so its kinda depressing. If i jump it then it handles it well as long as i work the volume knob etc to clean it up sense it breaks up alot sooner that way.

what it really needs is a Tele, but i'd have to make my wife turn tricks perhaps to afford it.

So you have a reissue, not an original?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fender amps our not my preference but whoever told you was totally retarded. If we don't speak about high amounts of gain of course. Fender amps are bad for high amount of gain, either the guitars also can't take too much gain. But well, who uses a fender for heavy metal?
Quote by cemges
Fender amps our not my preference but whoever told you was totally retarded. If we don't speak about high amounts of gain of course. Fender amps are bad for high amount of gain, either the guitars also can't take too much gain. But well, who uses a fender for heavy metal?

The nice folks that make up Iron Maiden would like to have a word with you...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Robfreitag
Worked for Stevie Ray Vaughan

yeah, and stevie ray vaughan is dead.

I wouldn't risk it TS.. bad things can happen.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
SRV - Fender Equipment - Plane Crash

Buddy Holly - Fender Equipment - Plane Crash

Richie Valens - Fender Equipment - Plane Crash

Seems there's a trend...don't do it! Or don't fly...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ValoRhoads
I heard that playing a Fender Guitar through a Fender Amp is a stigmata and should never be done.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ValoRhoads
I heard that playing a Fender Guitar through a Fender Amp is a stigmata and should never be done. I'm upgrading my gear and using mostly Fender Guitars, and I'm looking into a variety of amps. So I was wondering if anyone had any evidence that would give creedence to the "Do not mix Fender Guitars and Fender Amps" saying.

fender amps are built with fender guitars in mind.
Who ever told you that, is full of shit. I'm using a Mint condition , USA made, 1989 Fender Stage 185 150 watt combo that I got in a trade over a month ago . I swapped my old Crate GX-65 for it . My Strats have never sounded better !
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
You ever heard Humbuckers through a Bassman??? Although it can sound good, still...the Guitar will cry in a fetal position wishing it was a Fender or any Fender Clone type Guitar.
What?

A ton of really well known and famous recordings were made with humbuckers through a Bassman or a JTM45. All the early AC/DC recordings, Beano, Gary Moore loved them too...

I run mine on the bright channel with the bass at 1 or 2. It sounds fine.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by Arby911
The nice folks that make up Iron Maiden would like to have a word with you...

He was talking about amps though, not guitars. Maiden don't use Fender amps, right?

As to the threadstarters question:

What about the EVH amps? Aren't those made by Fender with high gain in mind? Throw an HSH strat in front of that and you can do metal.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
What about the EVH amps? Aren't those made by Fender with high gain in mind? Throw an HSH strat in front of that and you can do metal.

This thread isn't about actual products, or even capabilities of products, dude. This thread is about inaccurate perceptions. Let's try to stay on topic, OK?

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's a bit bright, but use the neck pickup, maybe roll of the tone, sounds good.
Why would you use a fender guitar through a fender amp?

Isn't that why Marshalls were invented?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Arby911

Seems there's a trend...don't do it! Or don't fly...

Damn, you're right. Fender guitars through a Fender amp must displease Apollo. Perhaps he thinks nobody in the world should possess so much mojo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Steve Gaines - Fender Equipment - Plane Crash

Yep, even the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist used a strat and twin reverb.
Page 1 of 2