Joined the forum to get some expert opinions...

I'm thinking of selling my Epiphone Les Paul Studio and picking up a Dot Studio. Love the LP, but I'd like a little more of a jazz box at this point.

My real question: Is there a real difference between the two in terms of quality? The LP still retails for ~350, whereas the Dot is ~270 (at least for the worn brown finish, which is what I'd get; the other finishes might add a few bucks). Is this because the LP is made better, or are you just paying for the name?

I haven't had problems with any Epiphones, and I'm not really looking for other suggestions; I'd just like to know if it's a decent trade-in.

Thanks a lot.
The Dot Studio plays and sounds better than every epiphone les paul I've ever played under 800 bucks. I'm not exaggerating, that's just my experience. I've played 3 dot studios and owned the 3rd, all 3 played equally well. It's held up well after gigging it nearly weekly since the day I bought it.
I'd say go for it.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
The Dot Studio is cheaper primarily because they don't bother putting a gloss top coat on it, there's no binding, simpler controls and no inlays. The actual build quality is the same; they're made in the same factory by the same people, no reason to believe one will actually play better than the other.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There is binding, it's just 1-ply black, and none in the f-holes or the neck.
And I think the reason why I feel like it does play better is, it's light, and it's got a d-shaped neck,
(PM Me.)
I'm assuming all the electronics are the same? I know some people don't like Epiphones electronics, but like I said, I haven't experienced any problems with them.
The pickups seem hotter in the dot. Maybe it's the SH resonance that makes me think that.
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
The pickups seem hotter in the dot. Maybe it's the SH resonance that makes me think that.

Forgive me, I don't know all the terminology. I've been playing guitar for a pretty long time now and I'd probably know exactly what you mean if I heard it, but what do you mean by "hotter" and SH?

Don't mean to be a serious noob here, but I'm completely self-taught. I could definitely stand to learn a few things.
Last edited by sanders3 at Feb 15, 2012,
The actual build quality is the same; they're made in the same factory by the same people, no reason to believe one will actually play better than the other.(Invalid img)
I've played both and I think the LP is the better guitar due to the Grover tuners and the inlays on the neck. The Dot doesn't stay in tune very well .
Quote by jeffo46
I've played both and I think the LP is the better guitar due to the Grover tuners and the inlays on the neck. The Dot doesn't stay in tune very well .

Weird, I feel like the Grovers go out of tune all the time. I guess I bend a lot, but not any inordinate amount.
Quote by sanders3
Weird, I feel like the Grovers go out of tune all the time. I guess I bend a lot, but not any inordinate amount.

It's probably the nut, not the tuners. Cheap guitars have crappy plastic nuts. I know that the strings bind in the nuts of both my guitars (haven't gotten around to replacing them yet!).
I meant semi-hollow by SH. And hotter, hotter pickups, more drive/less clarity (but not in a bad way).
A Graph tech nut is like 12 bucks, and will solve the tuning problems.
(PM Me.)
Or if you're cheap/lazy, just pencil your nut
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
The dot studio is inferior technically to the normal dot, but I'd reccomend you look at the ibanez artcore series, I was sold on the dot until I discovered those.
Quote by Makko Mace
The dot studio is inferior technically to the normal dot, but I'd reccomend you look at the ibanez artcore series, I was sold on the dot until I discovered those.

Technically, yes. I used to own an Artcore AS73 in turquoise with a bigsby. Good guitar, but I prefer the satin finish (especially on the neck) on my dot studio to the gloss of Artcore. Both are solid (and by solid I mean semi-hollow) choices.

But the artcore will run you about $100 more than the dot studio last time I checked.

The gretsch junior jet is also in your price range.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by evhbrianmay
I meant semi-hollow by SH. And hotter, hotter pickups, more drive/less clarity (but not in a bad way).
A Graph tech nut is like 12 bucks, and will solve the tuning problems.

Ah, got it.

And I actually went and picked up a Graph Tech nut, I guess I'll be installing that as a quick fix. Thanks.
I actually prefer the epi's to the ibby's.

And glad I could help.
(PM Me.)
Final stupid question:

Now I'm actually considering just upping my budget the $400. Is the Epiphone ES-339 (it looks like a new model) basically the same as a Dot? Is it just a smaller body, because I think that would be a pretty good next step from this LP.
Last edited by sanders3 at Feb 17, 2012,