oh i thought it was gonna be the reel big fish version

/disappointment

i havent heard many extended versions of music, but alternate takes are always awesome, and being a beatles fan, there are tons of those.
I always prefer the extended version. Shortened feels inorganic and, well, shortened. Music should be played how it was written.
There are too many examples to name, but the first time I experienced this was with Filter-Take a Picture. I didn't like the song before when I heard the shortened one (and as a kid I loved almost every song so that alone is weird). I remember hearing the full version for the first time on Kazaa or something because my friend was over and wanted to hear it (no youtubes back then). I saw it was 6 minutes or so and said "this can't be it". He said it was the full version. I downloaded it. I was floored. So much better. Instantly became a Filter fan, even. I may not like them too much now, but some of their songs stick out a lot, including that one.
I guess I can't answer the question 100% correctly because I never look for shortened songs now. I make sure I get the full deal, so I haven't had a short one by accident or anything.
When I hear the radio edits of songs like Trivium's Throes of Perdition or Machine Head's Locust, then I get the CD and I'm totally blown away.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Idk if this counts but I didn't know that the acoustic version of Ocean Avenue was the original for a really long time. Mind was blown when I found out.
cat
King Crimson - Providence

Btw, to anyone who doesn't know, this was 100% made up on the spot
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
6+ minutes version of Whip It by Devo

6+ minutes version of A Forest by The Cure
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by frankv
I always feel sorry for those who have only heard the radio edit of Light My Fire. That instrumental section is insanely cool!

Also those who have only heard the shorter version of The End.
It's a crime to cut down songs by The Doors.
Quote by frankv
I always feel sorry for those who have only heard the radio edit of Light My Fire. That instrumental section is insanely cool!

I don't like The Doors, but I do like that song, and agree with this.
I found this song by X Japan called Art of Life. I later found out that it's the 6 minute radio edit for their 30 minute orchestral piece.
The Guess Who's "No Time" has no intro on most versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqeSUAlI5uI

Mmmm psychedelia.
"Wait, he smokes marijuana?!?! I thought he only does weed!"

-Ignorant Friend #1

"How many shots are there in a 26er?"

-Ignorant Friend #2

"No I don't want a two-four, I only like beeer!"

-Ignorant Friend #1