So I have a TT in the mail which should be here by Friday. I currently have a Blackstar HT-5 and live in a 1-bedroom apt with no downstairs neighbors and one upstairs neighbor. The cab would be for my bedroom and possibly a jam in a garage type situation.

1. Can I used my Blackstar HT-5 as a cab for this head? The speaker has a jack in the back that I would imagine I could plug into the head (with a male to female adapter).

2. The Orange 1x12 cab I was looking at (since it would seem to be the perfect match for an Orange head...?) is rated at 60 watts. The head is only 15 watts. What does this mean?

3. Volume IS an issue since I live in an old apartment. I'd love to find a cab where I could crank the volume on the head more (even marginally). I know that closed vs open back, speaker wattage, etc factor in to the overall volume.

I did read the stickies....

thanks.
1. No...just no. That jack is for connecting a cab and nothing else.
2. Lower wattage head is always going to be fine on a higher wattage head. It doesn't really mean anything other than "Everything is OK!" in this instance.
The Orange cab is great btw..I run it myself with my Dark Terror and EVH 5150 III 50W.

3. No matter what cab you have, it will make noise...no cab will ever let you crank the amp in any kind of way if you want it to be fairly quiet.
Just suck it up and play at whisper levels if you need to. I do it all the time with my amps and it's fine...that's what the master volume is for
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
The TT has jacks for 8 ohms and 16 ohms. So your speaker needs to match one of those outputs. The speaker wattage should be atleast double the amp wattage to make sure you don't blow the speaker.

If the Blackstar speaker is wired to a 1/4" cable (male) you could plug it into the tiny terror as long as the speaker is 8 or 16 ohms and can handle enough wattage.

However: YOU CANNOT RUN THE TT OUTPUT INTO THE INPUT ON THE HT-5 COMBO! This will **** shit up big time.
Quote by Shor
1. No...just no. That jack is for connecting a cab and nothing else.
2. Lower wattage head is always going to be fine on a higher wattage head. It doesn't really mean anything other than "Everything is OK!" in this instance.
The Orange cab is great btw..I run it myself with my Dark Terror and EVH 5150 III 50W.

3. No matter what cab you have, it will make noise...no cab will ever let you crank the amp in any kind of way if you want it to be fairly quiet.
Just suck it up and play at whisper levels if you need to. I do it all the time with my amps and it's fine...that's what the master volume is for

The blackstar's speaker has a 1/4inch cable that plugs into an input jack on the back-underside of the amp (meaning I could theoretically plug that into the TT instead of the input port on the back of the amp?)... however it is fairly short so I might need an extension.
Quote by infraredz
The blackstar's speaker has a 1/4inch cable that plugs into an input jack on the back-underside of the amp (meaning I could theoretically plug that into the TT instead of the input port on the back of the amp?)... however it is fairly short so I might need an extension.

Yes, but remember, you still need to match the cab's impedance to the head (the ohms). Also, the speaker/s need to be able to handle the output power of the head (the watts). The speaker watts need to be bigger than the head watts. And yes, if it wont reach, a short extension will work as you said, male - female extender, maybe 1 foot long. I do this with my Mesa head into my Peavey JSX combo cab. Works great.
Thanks everyone.

As far as speakers are concerned, what would be the difference in volume, tone (range) and wear (on both head and speaker) of a 15watt speaker vs. a 60watt speaker? I heard that having a head with too low a wattage for a speaker can cause strain on the head. Also, I figured that a lower wattage speaker would cause more wear on it but wanted to know if the reverse was also true.
I don't honestly know myself if having the head more underpowered will cause it any harm. There is either enough power to drive the speaker or there isn't. Going too big on speakers may cause that at some point, but I don't really know if that will harm the head in any way, I mean after all, we try to overdrive tubes a lot anyway...hence the heavy use of OD pedals on tube amps.... I use my Mesa TA-15 in 5w. mode to run the 2x12 cab of my Peavey JSX. I think the JSX cab is like 150-180W max. and I've had no problems at all so far. I think you want speakers rated at least about 150% of head power out, so you don't get too much speaker distortion or blown speaker issues.

I don't hear too much difference in tone when I switch from 5w to 25w., so I doubt there would be any even if the range were increased. I do notice a bit better sustain when I switch the power up though. As well, volume of course goes up noticably.