Locally on CL there is a G400 that appears in good shape based on the photo, but the owner and post admit and clearly show there is a small chip in the guitar. Below the strings. Looks no bigger than a dime. Price is $175.

I know when buying used you're not getting perfection, but, let's for now assume this is all that is wrong with this thing, is this that big of a deal? Are chips "fixable"? Does it affect play, generally speaking.
chips wont affect the play or sound of the guitar, the only way a chip would do that is if half of the guitar was chipped off, or if the chip was on the fretboard. they only real way of making a chip less noticable is to sand the area down and repaint, the chip might still be there but its less obvious
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
It doesn't affect anything other than the look of the guitar.

Then there are basically two kinds of people:
1) I care about having and keeping my guitar absolutely perfect and clean,
2) I don't care about a perfect finish and I like a bit of a rough look

If you're in camp one, don't get it.
If you're in camp two, get it.

Quote by Y00p
It doesn't affect anything other than the look of the guitar.

Then there are basically two kinds of people:
1) I care about having and keeping my guitar absolutely perfect and clean,
2) I don't care about a perfect finish and I like a bit of a rough look

If you're in camp one, don't get it.
If you're in camp two, get it.

Looks like I will contact the guy. I might try to repair it, but for the price, providing nothing else wrong, it appears to be a pretty good deal for a 400.

Unless I am on stage or pay $1500 for a guitar, I am not concerned about "looks" of the guitar, but obviously don't want a beat up one either that is horrible to look at. I'm not on stage. I am concerned with how it appeals to my ears, not my eyes lol.
Last edited by Killsocket at Feb 15, 2012,
I think you're allowed, for reference. Not to sell your own gear though, there's a classifieds section for that.

....aaaanyway, looks to be cool, man. If you can fix it, you can fix it, if you can't...... well, nothing, really. Looks like a small dent too.
guitar looks fine.

generally speaking, chips and other damage aren't really a big deal (unless you're picky about it). however, there are a couple things to be wary of:
-chips on the neck: chips on the neck affect playability sometimes
-chips on the headstock- could indicate that the guitar got hit on the headstock (really damaging with some models)
-lots of chips: guitar has been abused.

essentially, you want to make sure that what you're spending your money on is in decent shape. that one you posted looks pretty good really
I'd be more concerned that it could be a fake Epiphone. (IMO, could be very wrong but, "Who would be stupid enough to make a fake EPIPHONE?")

I have nere seen an Epiphone with a truss rod cover like that, something just seems wrong about the body/pickgaurd, and the strap button near the neck looks off-center. Could be wrong as I have very little experience with Epiphone G-400's. Fake or not though if it plays and sounds great for $175 it could be worth it. (Keep in mind it is illegal to buy anything counterfiet when you are 100% sure it is fake)
Quote by Myaccount876
I'd be more concerned that it could be a fake Epiphone. (IMO, could be very wrong but, "Who would be stupid enough to make a fake EPIPHONE?")

I have nere seen an Epiphone with a truss rod cover like that, something just seems wrong about the body/pickgaurd, and the strap button near the neck looks off-center. Could be wrong as I have very little experience with Epiphone G-400's. Fake or not though if it plays and sounds great for $175 it could be worth it. (Keep in mind it is illegal to buy anything counterfiet when you are 100% sure it is fake)

lol?

the only fake epiphone i've ever seen had agile on the truss rod cover

those covers were very common for older epis

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
^Thanks for correcting me. Just curious about the modern Epiphone headstock shape vs the Gibson headstock shape om the picture of the Epiphone you posted.
The only thing the ding is going to hurt is the resale value. You're not going to make a killing on it when you decide to sell. So offer the guy 150 because of the dent and enjoy it. You should be able to make most of that back sometime in the future. Anything you do to the ding is going to make it more noticeable ...except maybe a sticker or something like that.
Quote by deluthe
The only thing the ding is going to hurt is the resale value. You're not going to make a killing on it when you decide to sell. So offer the guy 150 because of the dent and enjoy it. You should be able to make most of that back sometime in the future. Anything you do to the ding is going to make it more noticeable ...except maybe a sticker or something like that.

Yup, that's the point.