Hey just wondering is there a huge difference between software utilities and hardware for mastering, and also is there any good plugins for logic?
Thanks
If you have to ask about what programs to use for mastering I somehow doubt you really understand the process and how hard it is to do. So instead I'll recommend iZotopes Ozone, which has a bunch of presets which is great for people like me that has NO idea on how to master anything properly.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It depends on who you ask. Companies such as Waves and UA make incredible plugins that emulate vintage hardware. Many of the top engineers do in fact mix in the box now. I have never head the luxury of working with hardware, but there are plenty of good software options. If you want an all in one mastering suite, try something like iZotope's Ozone 5...If not, you could get something like the Waves Grand Masters bundle. At the end of the day, it comes down to the person doing the Mastering. If you have a good ear, a properly treated room and know how to use your plugins correctly, you can get a good sound.
One of the most popular mastering programs is Waveburner, which comes with Logic Studio anyway and can use all the same plug-ins as Logic (installing the AU component allows the use of them in both programs) so I wouldn't worry about third-party plug-ins until you actually know how to master tracks etc.

Ozone is alright, but Waveburner allows far more in terms of real mastering (i.e track ordering, fading and stop/start times for tracks etc.) and not just the so-called 'pre-mastering' that is EQ correction/augmentation and additional volume.

As for plug-ins... you can use any plug-ins that are available in Mac's AU format (also called 'component' or Mac AU/Mac Native). so take a bit of time to learn about the stuff you have access to before looking for new plugins... I still use many of Logic's plugins over ones that cost a small fortune. In fact, I only recently switched to Waves H-EQ (and part of that was because Waves had a hugely-discounted sale on the US 'Black Friday') as before I was always using Logic Channel EQ due to the fantastic frequency analyser that makes EQ'ing at low volumes a bit less risky (and can even help you learn what the different frequencies sound like by boosting small bands and testing yourself to see if you heard the increase and roughly where).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.