Page 1 of 2
Now first off, I'm usually not really of a promoter but this is something that really caught my attention and I thought the Pit would enjoy.

It's about an indie-game called Dear Esther. If you can call it a game at all, the only gameplay element is that of walking around.

It's more of an interactive experience containing nice graphics, good music, and a story that consists of letters that the main character sends to his lover(Esther).
You walk around on an island while the letters are being narrated and displayed onscreen. What the story means is for you to (partly) fill in yourself.
The writing style I found similar to that of Franz Kafka.

Now I realise that I'm doing a terrible job in trying to describe what this is so just check the site and trailers.
But I was wondering what you guys think of indie-games, and new artforms like this. Should they get more attention? And will they have a more prominent role in the entertainment industy in the future?
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Esters > Esthers. Fact. I knew an Esther once, she was scarily obsesed with horses and looked a bit like Vad Hamster now I come to think of it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I thought this was about a mouse.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Seems really cool, and I see it's avaliable on steam for $10.

I like indie games like that that try a new approach. It's not driven by money, just by passion and innovativeness which makes each game unique.

If my steam ever opens I'll see about buying it...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It does look really cool, and it's got good reviews and stuff. Highly priced for an hour long game though.
Up The Boro!
Wait for Ester, she will take what she needs from the ground, plunge it into a hell and free you from the great youth that is the sea!
Quote by Oddsbodkins
It does look really cool, and it's got good reviews and stuff. Highly priced for an hour long game though.

Hour seems really short, you would be rushing it. I think I got aobut 1,5-2 hours out of it.

I paid €8, same price as say a ticket to the cinema. And I would choose this over it anyday.

E-married to Shyne <3

Indie games are awesome. As BF3, MW3 and (to a lesser degree) Skyrim proved, games are never any good on release day anymore. In BF3's case it's still not perfect 4 months later.

I think that's why indie games and the F2P genre are blowing up now, because sometimes it's nice to get back to games that have core gameplay and don't really on brutal graphics, zillions of features or any other stupid stuff like that.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Seems interesting. I like games that don't focus on gameplay, if that makes any sense. A good story or atmosphere can be enough to make a great game. Yume Nikki is a good example of this.
Quote by wizards?
I want to buy a 7 string guitar, and tune it to Cabbage.

That was on topic, I swear.
As much as I love games, and like when games take a new approach.
When a game is effectively, walk around listen to music and read letters, I am not going to pay more than say £3 for it.

I don't care how pretty it is. The story it conveys had better be pretty ****ing spectacular to be worth more than that. By spectacular I mean it rivals every classical piece of literature since the dawn of man.

Quote by adstr123
Indie games are awesome. As BF3, MW3 and (to a lesser degree) Skyrim proved, games are never any good on release day anymore.

Arkham City, Catherine, Dark Souls, Portal 2, AC Revelations and a lot more would like a word with you.

It's nice to see you picked the big 3 contenders for, we already have a fanbase who'll pay anything for our games.
Also, note that those three games series have had issues on release in the past as well. You know when you're insinuating games used to be good.
Last edited by SG_dave at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by SG_dave
As much as I love games, and like when games take a new approach.
When a game is effectively, walk around listen to music and read letters, I am not going to pay more than say £3 for it.

I don't care how pretty it is. The story it conveys had better be pretty ****ing spectacular to be worth more than that. By spectacular I mean it rivals every classical piece of literature since the dawn of man.

The story is pretty good, it's very different from most literature in that it leaves a lot of room for the imagination of the player. And I think it's a good price but if you thinks it's too expensive, just wait till steam has one of their sales. It'll probably be around 3 pounds then.

E-married to Shyne <3

Quote by Antis0cial
Hour seems really short, you would be rushing it. I think I got aobut 1,5-2 hours out of it.

I paid €8, same price as say a ticket to the cinema. And I would choose this over it anyday.

Oh good to know, an hour was what I'd read somewhere else but happy that's wrong. Completely with you on taking something like this over a cinema ticket but hell, there's a reason I never go to the cinema.

Will definitely be picking it up when it goes on steam sale though.
Up The Boro!
I'll probably get it while on sale as well, or when I get paid.

While opening up steam I saw this indie game which looks interesting:

innerDate">innerDate">http://thestoutgames.com/innerDate

It's only 2,24€ right now.
Last edited by Kensai at Feb 15, 2012,
Games are escape strategies for the young hearted forbidden favorites in a universe that is not up for the taking.

Let the heart be hardened friends

go on
I appreciate the effort of making something different, but I don't think this is something I'd play to be honest, I prefer good gameplay and good story over no gameplay and (hopefully) good story.
Naw man, games like this suck. Seriously, walking around for an hour and a half listening to some old chode read a letter? How could that possibly be entertaining, it's probably just some shitty Flash game trying to be all arts--

Quote by Ed Hunter
Esters > Esthers. Fact. I knew an Esther once, she was scarily obsesed with horses and looked a bit like Vad Hamster now I come to think of it.

Really? I knew one of those Esthers as well!
Quote by adstr123
Indie games are awesome. As BF3, MW3 and (to a lesser degree) Skyrim proved, games are never any good on release day anymore. In BF3's case it's still not perfect 4 months later.

I think that's why indie games and the F2P genre are blowing up now, because sometimes it's nice to get back to games that have core gameplay and don't really on brutal graphics, zillions of features or any other stupid stuff like that.

This man knows his shit
🙈 🙉 🙊
It looks great. Loved the music in the trailer.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
I wish there would have at least been some simple puzzles or something instead of just walking around. I feel like that would have been a very good opportunity to do something like that.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I just bought it last night. Gonna install it now
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Kensai
I'll probably get it while on sale as well, or when I get paid.

While opening up steam I saw this indie game which looks interesting:

innerDate">innerDate">http://thestoutgames.com/innerDate

It's only 2,24€ right now.

Might try that at some time, but I think I have to cut back a bit on Steam offers.... They're way too tempting haha

E-married to Shyne <3

Just finished it. It's short but very good.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by Antis0cial
Might try that at some time, but I think I have to cut back a bit on Steam offers.... They're way too tempting haha

Yeah I know, sometimes the only thing stopping me is that I have to re-type all my credit card info every time I want to get something.

Quote by izbbass
Just finished it. It's short but very good.

How's the replay value of it? It says stuff change with each playthrough, but how much can it change?
Quote by Kensai
How's the replay value of it? It says stuff change with each playthrough, but how much can it change?

Not sure. Unless it's just finding places you missed on the first playthrough, though I'm pretty sure I was very thorough looking around

Quote by IGN
I can't give away anything of Dear Esther's story and premise without spoiling it, but it's layered enough to support multiple playthroughs. The writing is dense with intertextual references, most of them biblical, and there are clues and allusions in the narrator's musings that you won't notice the first time you play through. It will last you between 90 minutes and two hours, first time through; it's likely to be shorter the second and third time. For the price, it's not a vast amount of content, but what's there is complete and well-crafted.

I think this sums that up pretty well. Took me 90 minutes, start to finish.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by Kensai
Yeah I know, sometimes the only thing stopping me is that I have to re-type all my credit card info every time I want to get something.

There is this Dutch paying system (which steam supports) which basically just means typing in a password and a code that gets texted to you, it's nice but way too easy to buy things sometimes haha.

And I haven't done a second playtrough yet but I will in a week or so I think, when I had some time to think about the story a bit. Apparently the letters get mixed up a bit, maybe even more things told? I doubt I'll do it for a third time but a second time for sure, which is rare for me cause I rarely ever do that with any type of game.

E-married to Shyne <3

Quote by Kensai
Seems really cool, and I see it's avaliable on steam for $10.

I like indie games like that that try a new approach. It's not driven by money, just by passion and innovativeness which makes each game unique.

If my steam ever opens I'll see about buying it...

Oh, the short term for that is "bullshit."

OT: The concept actually looks interesting. I haven't looked more into it, yet, but I plan on it. I'd like to do something like this.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by izbbass
Not sure. Unless it's just finding places you missed on the first playthrough, though I'm pretty sure I was very thorough looking around

I think this sums that up pretty well. Took me 90 minutes, start to finish.

Quote by Antis0cial
There is this Dutch paying system (which steam supports) which basically just means typing in a password and a code that gets texted to you, it's nice but way too easy to buy things sometimes haha.

And I haven't done a second playtrough yet but I will in a week or so I think, when I had some time to think about the story a bit. Apparently the letters get mixed up a bit, maybe even more things told? I doubt I'll do it for a third time but a second time for sure, which is rare for me cause I rarely ever do that with any type of game.

I used to have my creditcard info already saved... bad idea during the christmas steam sales

Cool that they mix things up. Really feeling like picking the game up now and not on any future sale. Damn this thread... for my wallet's sake.

Quote by eGraham
Oh, the short term for that is "bullshit."

OT: The concept actually looks interesting. I haven't looked more into it, yet, but I plan on it. I'd like to do something like this.

You're from the states, I don't expect you to know about it
Quote by Kensai
I used to have my creditcard info already saved... bad idea during the christmas steam sales

Cool that they mix things up. Really feeling like picking the game up now and not on any future sale. Damn this thread... for my wallet's sake.

You're from the states, I don't expect you to know about it

With the amount of posts you have in the whisky thread I'm sure you can spend a few bucks on a game...

E-married to Shyne <3

Quote by ZanasCross
So wait... is it just a pretty version of Myst, where they've removed some puzzles in favor of a guy reading letters?

I'd pay for that... but is that what I'm getting into?

Had a very first strong Mystvibe first 10 minutes I was playing it. But after that the story became a lot more compelling to me and it changed the dynamic of the game somehow.

But if you like Myst, definitely try this.

E-married to Shyne <3

Quote by CoreysMonster
Whelp, got it, about to play it. I shall return.

You living in Germany. I'm curious if you agree with the Kafka similarities.

E-married to Shyne <3

Quote by Antis0cial
With the amount of posts you have in the whisky thread I'm sure you can spend a few bucks on a game...

(Invalid img)

Fine... I'll get it...
Quote by Antis0cial
You living in Germany. I'm curious if you agree with the Kafka similarities.

I have yet to read a single work of Kafka's in my life, but godfucking DAYUM this thing was awesome!
Page 1 of 2