Hello everyone,
ive been playing for around a year now ,ive gone through all the basic stuff and tried them all but the thing is i wanna play faster,not like these insane sweeping and stuff just fast licks that anyone who has been playing for the same time that i had should find easy plus my fingers are very flexible (which is the opinions of some much more experienced guitarists that i know) but still i can't find the reason for not being able to play faster
Don't go thinking that everyone who's been playing for one year should find it easy to play fast.
Quote by metalish
but still i can't find the reason for not being able to play faster

I can, you've been playing for a year.

give it time, keep practicing. eventually you'll be able to play faster.
Just practice, especially with a metronome. Finger exercises helped me out a lot. Some people pick up things faster than others, so don't get discouraged by anything.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I respect your opinions and the fact that you are all much better musicians that i'm but ive been playing for a whole year ,this is a long time and i explained that i don't wanna do some buckethead or yngwie licks just some relatively fast licks ,but i really don't get it that you people think that a whole year is still too soon for me to feel developed
One year isn't a long time at all when it comes to playing an instrument. Keep practicing with a metronome.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by metalish
I respect your opinions and the fact that you are all much better musicians that i'm but ive been playing for a whole year ,this is a long time and i explained that i don't wanna do some buckethead or yngwie licks just some relatively fast licks ,but i really don't get it that you people think that a whole year is still too soon for me to feel developed

How many hours did you play during that year and what have you been practicing?

I dont get it how people come and say ive been playing for 11 years and wonder why they suck so you ask them more specifically and then say they play once per week.

As for the year thingy its bs.. you can get up to 3000 hours of good practice a year, which well practiced would enable you to play things like technical difficulties and "overplay" guitarists who have been "playing way longer".

Its not about years or months since you first picked up a guitar, its about deliberate practice time and quality practice. The guitar hanging on your wall does not give you experience.

If you however have been indeed practicing for 365 days * 24 hours = 8760 hours, then you are practicing in a non efficient way.

So whats your practice schedule?
Do you practice regularly ?
How long?
How is your technique ?
How is your music theory?
Your ear?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 15, 2012,
A year? Its not a long time mate, it really isnt. It can take people a year just to be able to sweep, so if you have only been playing guitar a year you cant expect to play fast.
I know its piss annoying, but keep practising, dont focus on speed, its overrated, focus on technique and phrasing, thats what makes a good guitarist-speed will come in time...
Quote by metalish

Well it isn't a long time.

I can tell you straight away what you're biggest problem is - impatience.
The thing with guitar is that no amount of willpower and wanting to do something will change your situation. You can gripe all you want about how you should be better and it won't make a bit of difference.

You can't just "do" things on the guitar, there's not really any big jumps or epiphanies. Any progress you make is gradual, and is a direct result of hard work and discipline, with a bit of common sense thrown in. You're not missing out on any secrets, you can only make yourself better than you currently are, and if you're currently a long way away from where you want to be then you have to take all the steps in between to get there.

So take stock of your abilities, figure out what you're good at, what you're not good at and what the gaps in your knowlege are. Maintain and build on what you're good at, get better at what you're not and fill the gaps in your knowledge. Practice methodically, be aware of your limitations and work to push them back gradually.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks everyone you really helped me, And steven, you are awesome dude