i've been offered a jcm 800 horizontal input model, but i'm not sure what year it is. how do i find out?

also i'd be upgrading from a dsl 100 so i was wondering, do 800's actually have a gain channel? as i'm a little confused by the different models. (total n00b i know)

cheers!
The horizontal input head came out in '83. They have the pots and things mounted on the PCB and are therefore not as desirable as the vertical input models.
There are two basic models with the JCM800.
There is the 2203/2204 which are a single channel amp. These are the good ones.
Then there is the 2205/2210 Which is a two channel version. You may as well keep your DSL as buy a 2205/2210. The DSL is the 2205/2210 as it should have been made in the first place. ie, no diode clipping crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 800s are 1 channel amps with a gain knob but they can get pretty dirty (think 80s metal).
Couldnt you just ask the owner when it was made?
I'm with Cath. I don't think it would be worth it. The 2 channel ones are not a good upgrade for you. I'd keep the DSL too. And what do you mean 'have a gain channel'? The single channel versions, like Cath mentioned, only have a 'dirty channel' there is no clean channel - but you can get clean tones out of it. Another JCM 800 I would consider is the 2555.
The 2205/2210 (the dual channel ones) only have one input so this will be a 2203/2204 (50W and 100W respectively). It will be the least desirable version of the most desirable series of JCM800's. One channel but it's a good channel. If you want dual channels keep the DSL.
If you want to improve your DSL replace the output transformer with something better like an O'Netics and stick JJ tubes in it. The OT's are what lets the DSL down. They cheaped out on those. Replace it and you'll think you have a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks for the replies!

the thing is, the owner has no idea what year it is, he's had it a good few years, is there a way to find out what year/model it is?
Ask him how much power it has (100w or 50w) and if it has a clean channel.

If he says it's 100w then it's a 2203, but if it has a clean channel then it's a 2210.

If it's 50w then it's a 2204, but if it has a clean channel then it's a 2205.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
it's a single channel 50w so that'll be the 2204 then, so by that, it is a worthy upgrade then? what do the two different inputs do then? (again another dozy question) i'm borrowing it for a weekend before i actually part with cash but as he's a mate he's only after £400 for it (which seems to be quite alright, right?)
Quote by rob-legend
it's a single channel 50w so that'll be the 2204 then, so by that, it is a worthy upgrade then? what do the two different inputs do then? (again another dozy question) i'm borrowing it for a weekend before i actually part with cash but as he's a mate he's only after £400 for it (which seems to be quite alright, right?)

Do it.

One input is higher gain and the other is lower gain. They're supposed to be used with guitars with lower/higher output pickups respectively.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The inputs are high and low inputs. Basically in the low input more signal is shunted to ground resulting in a weaker signal going to the first tube. The high input sends a hotter signal to the tube.
Unfortunately though, you can't use a A/B/Y pedal to switch between them because as soon as anything is plugged into the high input the low input becomes almost identical to the high one.
For those of you wondering about the technical details; it's all about the grid leak resistor. High is 1M, Low is 68K. When you plug something into the high input the grid leak on the low input becomes 1.068M.
Now don't think all amps behave the same way because they don't. On a plexi for example, they have 4 inputs. The low and high inputs work the same per pair but each pair has it's own triode so it is possible to A/B/Y the pairs (so high in one, low in the other).

I'm not sure what prices are like there but a horizontal 2204 and a 100W DSL should be of about the same value I would have thought. The 2204 is one of my favourite Marshalls but the horizontals were the victim of cost cutting measures and aren't nearly as good as the verticals.
Tbh, going by what you have said I'd probably just keep the DSL and spend that cash on a better output transformer and tubes. I think it would be money better spent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 15, 2012,
nice, on the subject of old amps, how easy is it to repair rips in tolex neatly?
I've never seen it down to my satisfaction. It's best to completely recover it. This is for your DSL, yes? Marshall black elephant tolex is readily available.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah it is, unfortunately finding someone to do it is as difficult as trying to do it myself