Page 1 of 2
I haven't been playing guitar for very long, only a year and half, and I'm starting to get into shredding. I can sweep pick, and I'm starting to practice alternate and economy picking techniques. The question is, what pickups should I get for my Sg? I currently have the default Gibson P90's but would like to get a Yngwie Malsteen/Zakk Wylde/Synyster Gates sound.
through what amp?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well, you listed:

1. single coil tone
2. an active humbucker tone
3. a high-output passive humbucker tone

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i'm gonna bet he's using a spider, just gonna do it.
Stick with it and get your own tone? Something like a Seymour Duncan '59 or Custom Custom would take a bit of effort to get the exact sounds you specified, but would be more versatile than EMGs. My SG with a bridge custom custom nails A7X, Mark Morton of Lamb of God gets some heavy sounds out of the '59.
Dude, where's my band?
i think you should check out PAF pro.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Don't put EMG's in an SG. I have an SG Special II with stock EMGs, they sound thin - no balls. I'm ripping them out this weekend. I'm going to try the Seymore Duncan SH-6 Mayhem kit.
GUYZ!! Haven't any of you realized that his using p90s?
You won't be able to fit a humbucker into a gap like that, the dimensions are different.
And P90s simply won't get this tones unless you get very high output ones.
If you're ok with losing versatility because of thd high output then I'd recommend Bare Knuckle P90s. They're quite expensive but theyll get you in the ballpark for the tone you want but it'll never exact cos they arent humbuckers.
If you're going to go for EMGs like Zakk Wylde, Get and 89 because you can coil split it to get single coil tones as well
Quote by Minimallamb
Get and 89 because you can coil split it to get single coil tones as well

Bold #1: Yes

Bold #2: No

It's a nice idea, but the reality is somewhat different...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by itamar100
GUYZ!! Haven't any of you realized that his using p90s?
You won't be able to fit a humbucker into a gap like that, the dimensions are different.
And P90s simply won't get this tones unless you get very high output ones.
If you're ok with losing versatility because of thd high output then I'd recommend Bare Knuckle P90s. They're quite expensive but theyll get you in the ballpark for the tone you want but it'll never exact cos they arent humbuckers.

youre correct and i did see that, however i was assuming that the routes were humbucker sized. if not, he can get them routed if he really wants. also, there are "mini" humbuckers as seen on some PRS guitars(i forget which ones) that would fit anyway, which i have no more knowledge than that on so i cant comment.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Wait, so the pickups my guitar has aren't humbuckers? I always knew they were P90's but I thought that P90's were humbuckers. Can someone explain how they're different from humbuckers?
P90s are basically single coils on steroids
Humbuckers are basically two single coils stuck together in opposite directions.

Their routes are different and the way they're attached to the guitar are different. Gibson makes a stacked P90 thats similar to a humbucker, called a P94. You can get them used on eBay for fairly cheap.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Arby911
Bold #1: Yes

Bold #2: No

It's a nice idea, but the reality is somewhat different...

EMGs are different. They have 2 different pickups in the casing (3 coils). When the pot is pulled/the switch is switched, it turns off the humbucker and uses the single coil. If they were passives, you would be correct though.
If u want to hear what EMG's on an SG sounds like, listen to my bands mp3s posted on my profile.
I dont know how helpful they will be - they're very noisy - but they may give u some idea. It's impossible to get good recordings in our practice space because it's so small (its a drum room). I play through a 5150. The bass plays through a heavy fuzz. The recordings were done on a Zoom H2.
Quote by TheLastGestapo
Wait, so the pickups my guitar has aren't humbuckers? I always knew they were P90's but I thought that P90's were humbuckers. Can someone explain how they're different from humbuckers?

P90s are single coils with a bit more "oomph". they iverdrive the amp quicker and get more Rock n Rock style tones. they noisier than normal single coils because of the higher output though.
Humbuckers are two single coils reverse wound with each other and put into the same casing.

humbuckers and P90 are very different in size and you cannot put humbucker into a P90 guitar without routing it (cutting the wood). P90s are longer and thinner and humbuckers are shorter and wider.

P90s arent capaple of getting a sound as powerful as humbuckers can can when overdriven, they are pretty much a mix between humbuckers and single coils except they arent hum cancelling.
So are humbuckers better than p90's? I'll have to post some pictures to show you guys what I have.
Why would humbuckers be better than P90s, or the other way around? That doesn't make sense. They're both equally great pickups, depending on the style you want. I wouldn't use P90s for death metal, but I wouldn't use a BKP nailbomb for blues either.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by TheLastGestapo
So are humbuckers better than p90's? I'll have to post some pictures to show you guys what I have.

it depends on what tones you are going after.

what amp are you using? it's far more important than pick ups.

edit: well, line 6 spider IV 75 watt. ok, forget pick ups bro, it's amp time.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 17, 2012,
His profile says a Line 6 Spider IV. If this is still accurate then I say new amp bro.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, you listed:

1. single coil tone
2. an active humbucker tone
3. a high-output passive humbucker tone

Active Stacked(hum cancelling) single coil. Emg has such models. What about P-81 P-85 or either 81TW and 89 stuff? I don't recommend though. I'd go for dimarzio's P90 sized humbuckers.
^Not sure if srs.

Pretty sure it stands for Solid Guitar. That's what I've always heard
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

SG stands for "Solid Guitar".

I took the stock EMGs 81/85s out of my SG Special II and dropped in the Seymore Duncan SH-6 Mayhem kit (two Duncan Distortions calibrated for neck/bridge). I kept the jack and three way toggle from the EMG set.

It's a new guitar. I realize now how much the EMGs sucked in that thing. They have no balls.

Oh, and I don't get mad at myself every time I realize I left it plugged in from when I used it last ... which happened every time.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 18, 2012,
Dimarzio makes a P-90 sized Super Distortion Hb that is ment to fit a P-90 rout
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The green troll is a successful troll.

It depends on what amp you are using and what sound you are after. As you have mentioned people that all use different things you've left people with too little information to work with and that information is contradictory. Tell us what amp and pick one sound. At the moment the best answer is "buy three totally different guitars". I suspect that isn't the answer you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it stands for "standard guitar".
Ha, I looked it up. My Sg has the Seymour Duncan Alnico 490 and 489 - The Gibson Sg stock pickups. But are these pickups high quality? Considering I have a brand name USA made guitar, I would think so. But I'm not an expert. All I know is that the Sg is guitar that has great tone and really has a smooth sound due the mahoghany wood.

But is there even better higher output pickups that would suit my Sg for soloing and getting good sustain (It's sustain is good now, but I just want to know if there's anything better).

Cheers.
Seymour Duncan does not make the Gibson pick ups, Gibson makes them

You might look at the SD SH-6

Or if you really wana drop some coin, Bare Knuckle Pickups get lots of love here. You can shoot them an email with what your trying to acomplish with your tone and they will point you in the right direction.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Flux'D
^Not sure if srs.

Pretty sure it stands for Solid Guitar. That's what I've always heard