Hey, I've had my guitar (electric) for about 9 months now, and the other day i decided to replace my own strings (how hard can it be..?). Now though I've noticed my bridge is sticking waaay up, by about 8 millimeters. Is this bad for my guitar? Its in the exact same octave as the previous strings were, and the same string thickness. Iv never experienced this problem before, i don't gig or anything, just play casually so i don't change my strings all that often. The only remedy i could think of was just de-tuning my guitar, but that messes the neck up if you relieve the tension for too long. Any advice as to what to do? I'm at uni as well so it would be problematic to have to go to a music shop as i live quite a way out, and don't have a car. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
Last edited by rorywelsh93 at Feb 15, 2012,
adjust the tension of the springs in the back to compensate
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Quote by troyofyort
adjust the tension of the springs in the back to compensate

Acoustic guitars do not have springs, or tremolo bridges.

I would say you put to heavy gauge strings on the guitar, and it's now pealing the bridge off the body, which is extremely bad since if it rips it off right, it'll take part of the body top with it, and you'll be buying a new guitar.
Yeah, man. Acoustics are more sensitive to different string tension than electrics. If you put on heavy gauge strings, that will happen. Also, make sure you didn't tune too high. Google online tuner and verify you're at the right pitch.
what
Ahh sorry, its an electric guitar. I'm a muppet, knew i had forgotten something important. :p
Does it have a tremolo? ETA: If so, first answer was correct.

If it's one of those cheap strat copies with a tremolo for like $150, just sell it or trash it, and buy a real guitar without a tremolo. Like a low end Schecter, Ibanez, or PRS SE etc.
what
Last edited by IamJonsCranium at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by IamJonsCranium
Does it have a tremolo? ETA: If so, first answer was correct.

If it's one of those cheap strat copies with a tremolo for like $150, just sell it or trash it, and buy a real guitar without a tremolo. Like a low end Schecter, Ibanez, or PRS SE etc.

Ok cheers, yeah its a Fender Strat blacktop, got it for my 18th so naturally i am very paranoid in case anything happens to it haha. I'll adjust the springs then, thanks a lot for your answers