I've always wanted to build a guitar, now I think I'm finally going to do that. I'm not totally sure how I'm going to build it, but I sort of have an idea.

Since I'm not the best with woodworking, I'm going to try and keep this build as cheap as possible just so I can have experience for the future.

Anyway, here's my plan:
-Buy a cheap guitar to use for the parts (neck, electronics, bridge, etc)
-Cut my design from a body blank or something (i'm thinking plywood because I don't really care how it sounds, I just want to get an instrument that works right now)
-Get some sort of pickguard that's similar to my picture
-Paint it somehow
-Build it.

I'm thinking of this guitar. I'm just not sure if I want it to be 24.75 or 25.5 (if not the latter I'd have to find a different guitar), because I'm going for sort of a strat+jaguar+mustang style build that I've been thinking of designs for the past few months.

If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Here's my design idea as of right now (for the final product, this build won't be the same):

Thanks!
you can probably get component parts cheaper on their own form the right places (guitarfetish.com) you can probably get a body blank of something like alder for not much more than a solid lot of plywood, can't advise you where as you're on the wrong side of the pond for me.

EDIT: http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/304/Alder_Electric_Guitar_Body_Blank.htm ($50-60)

EDIT2: also if you're looking for the jaguar parts (switches, roller pots, control plates etc), warmoth.com or allparts.com
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Feb 15, 2012,
maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself? There's another guitar for 50 dollars at the same music go round, it has a stop-tail and is LP style, I think it has a bolt on neck too.

The main thing I'm looking for in the cheap guitars is so I can get everything in one place.

Thanks for the alder body link, the only ones I've found were 100 dollars so I wanted to do plywood.
looks around the GFS website, you can get most of the hardware, it would be $50 but you can get a neck for that, and it's still one place, and you can get exactly whta you want
Ibanez WD7 Wah
if you're just looking for playable, check out ebay specifically china, hong kong sellers for all your hardware electronics and neck (the necks generally aren't that bad tbh)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Ebay is a good sorce for what your planning, you can find everything from cheap body blanks to busted up donor guitars for the rest of the bits you need.
Quote by von Layzonfon
^ What he said.

One question though: are you a lefty?

yeppers.

I'm gonna check out ebay and guitarfetish for parts too. The only thing is that I won't be able to get a feel for the neck, but that's no biggie, saving money is more important I think (right now at least)